The Aniplex Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IncendiaryLemon said:
Buzz201 said:
Quite frankly as long as the artwork doesn't make me look like a paedophile (as Sentai seem hellbent on doing with some of their titles)

That's probably a little far...

You say that, but just wait, the sexualised yaoi Space Brothers cover art is coming... :p

Buzz201 said:
and the unusual formatting sounds like a design choice to me.
If this is a design chouice, then perhaps they should've hired someone with actual design experience.
Roiqsed.png

Buzz201 said:
And quite frankly, if you stopped buying a distributors releases because of mistakes on their packaging, I don't think you'd have any distributors left to buy from.
No release I own from any other distributor has errors as egregious and noticeable as this. This stuff is inexcusable, regardless of the fact the later releases mostly fixed it. I don't understand how anybody could've looked at these inlays and thought this was acceptable to charge £20-30 for. I mean, look at this ****.

That's not an error, it's a design choice and not one that bothers me.

Really? Guess you didn't get SAO2 part 1 from Anime Limited which included a 720p DVD? or RWBY's English and Japanese 2.0 tracks? (RWBY's UK BD release occurred before the series received a Japanese dub.)

Buzz201 said:
If it doesn't bother you that much, then fair enough, but I
don't understand how randomly changing the size and thickness of
the font in the middle of a sentence, and just aligning it really
haphazardly counts as a "design choice".

Buzz201 said:
Really? Guess you didn't get SAO2 part 1 from Anime Limited which included a 720p DVD? or RWBY's English and Japanese 2.0 tracks? (RWBY's UK BD release occurred before the series received a Japanese dub.)
Nope.

jeo said:
Buzz201 said:
I it doesn't bother you that much, then fair enough, but I
don't understand how randomly changes the size and thickness of

Because it has clearly been done intentionally, and I must say I personally think it kind of suits what I've seen of the show (admittedly only the first two episodes, but still)...

Well, you can't really do a gimmick like that for too long, and I'd imagine the different monogataris vary in tone, so it makes sense that they wouldn't match the artwork inch for inch...

... except they changed it to the current style when it came to putting out the complete collections of Bake and Nisemonogatari. Why not just stick with the "gimmicky design choice" of the previous versions?

NormanicGrav said:
If it helps:
[spoilerbutton]
192290fb.jpg

75488_back.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]

So the style was clearly changed intentionally but formating wise it looks like they screwed up. Fair enough.

The first picture looks a completely different colour to me (it looks red), so I hadn't tied the two together, and was assuming MVM had done their "floaty" artwork to go with the series "floaty" nature...

Buzz201 said:
The first picture looks a completely different colour to me (it looks red)
Bad, hastily taken phone photograph on my part. Probably would've just been easier to grab a shot off the internet... :|

jeo said:
Buzz201 said:
The first picture looks a completely different colour to me (it looks red)
Bad, hastily taken phone photograph on my part. Probably would've just been easier to grab a shot off the internet... :|

It's probably more my eyes, I have a bad habit of misjudging certain colours. :)

jeo said:
If it doesn't bother you that much, then fair enough, but I
don't understand how randomly changing the size and thickness of

I can chip in on this, being somebdy who earns his living wage from handling type on comics and logo designs.

It's a 100% giveaway that the designer doesn't know how to handle type. What you aim for when arranging blocks of text is to make the shape of the copy as regular as possible. There are actually tools in Adobe Illustrator that help you to do this very simply, but there are very set limits within which you can use them. This look like those tools were used rather exuberantly.

I was taught that stretching or squeezing text horizontally by any more than 95% - 105% is a bad, bad thing, and that you should never, ever stretch text manually out of proportion.

Anyhoo. That's me done with pontificating. Did I mention there's really NO money in graphic design?

So why not just get that instead of an SE re-release? This is what baffles me most about Aniplex of America customers, half of them seem to be buying their products just for the sake of it...

I’m not American but I buy the AoA releases
Why?
Because I do not want of a simple case/amaray without any bonus.
Because I want to have a clean artbox, even if the artbox is not rigid.
Because I want a booklet.
Because I want art-cards.

If I just want to see the shows, I go on Crunchyroll.
That's why I buy the AoA releases, even if they are much more expensive.

MVM = barebone/amaray release with nothing else.

Iluvatar said:
So why not just get that instead of an SE re-release? This is what baffles me most about Aniplex of America customers, half of them seem to be buying their products just for the sake of it...

Why?

Same - it's not like i don't know that alternatives available, i just don't care for them lol - I prefer AoA releases over all the UK counterpart releases for the same shows, AL did a nice thing with Kill la Kill, SAO and now Baccano! but i still prefer AoA, personal choice. MVM is barebones, even an SE from AoA would be better, as Iluvatar says,I don't care if the box is a thin one, at least there will be one. Also, I am collecting AoA releases so even more reason not to buy MVM releases - I am not restricted in terms of what I can spend (obviously i can't pick up everything in one foul swoop) but i am perfectly able to pick up releases at AoA prices without my disposable income suffering for any given month, not everybody is strapped for cash or unwilling to spend more money on releases

Iluvatar said:

Why?

I get why people would buy the first release, but I was asking about AoA's barebones SE rereleases, which generally drop all the stuff you've listed, but keep the huge price tag.

The barebone SE rerelease come with at least a clean artbox. (Aka Durarara, Gurren lagann, Garden of sinner).
And generally, the video quality from AoA is better than others distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back