The Aniplex Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Consider this to be a spiritual successor to Stiivun's Funimation thread, and since some of the users wanted similar threads for other companies I figured I'll hop in for the Aniplex one.

2AjHthG.jpg

Aniplex of America is a company that have released quality products at controversial prices. Many people hate them, but others like them. It all depends on whether the customer is willing to spend that much for these titles. The company started off with a strange line-up of Baccano!, Oreimo, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, R.O.D. (Read or Die) and Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film Imports. All of which did really well for them and as time passes, more and more Aniplex titles have been picked up and released in similar fashion, though recent titles are not as packaged well in contrast to the ones released in 2013.

As of Summer 2015, Aniplex of America are no longer bound to just Aniplex-related titles as they have now licensed a non-Aniplex title; GOD EATER.

This thread will pretty much be both a discussion on the company's titles as well as a guide for those who want to pickup their titles. The spreadsheet below will also include Aniplex of Japan products that contain English subtitles that were once released by AoA themselves.

Aniplex Home Release Guide

Aniplex of America Website

Aniplex of America Facebook page

Aniplex of America Twitter page

Spreadsheet isn't final but some feedback will be great!

RECENT LICENSES (of 2015):

Summer 2015:
- Charlotte
- Classroom Crisis
- Durarara!!x2 Ten
- GOD EATER
- Wagnaria!!!

Autumn 2015:
- The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water *confirmed prior but simulcasting this season*
- Kizumonogatari *trailer showed at Expo and added to main YouTube channel*
- Owarimonogatari
- Sword Art Online Movie Project *trailer showed at Expo and added to main YouTube channel*

Winter 2016
- Classmates/Doukyusei
- Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
- Erased/Boku dake ga Inai Machi

CURRENT LICENSES:

Aldnoah.Zero
Anohana: The Flowers We Saw That Day: The Movie
Anthem of the Heart -Beautiful Word, Beautiful World-
The Asterisk War
Baccano!
Blast of Tempest
Blue Exorcist series
- Blue Exorcist
- Blue Exorcist the Movie
Charlotte
Classmates
Classroom Crisis
Day Break Illusion
Durarara!! series
- Durarara!!
- Durarara!!x2 Shou
- Durarara!!x2 Ten
- Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
Erased
Expelled From Paradise
Fate series
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
- Fate/zero
the Garden of sinners series
- the Garden of sinners
- the Garden of sinners: recalled out summer
GOD EATER
Gunslinger Stratos the Animation
Gurren Lagann series
- Gurren Lagann
- Gurren Lagann the Movie: Childhood's End
- Gurren Lagann the Movie: The Lights In the Sky Are Stars
Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack
The Irregular at Magic High School
Kill la Kill
Magi series
- Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
- Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Mekakucity Actors
Monogatari series
- Bakemonogatari
- Nisemonogatari
- Nekomonogatari Black
- Nekomonogatari White
- Kabukimonogatari
- Otorimonogatari
- Onimonogatari
- Koimonogatari
- Hanamonogatari
- Tsukimonogatari
- Owarimonogatari
- Kizumonogatari
Mushishi: Next Passage
Nanana's Buried Treasure
Nisekoi series
- Nisekoi
- Nisekoi:
Oreimo series
- Oreimo
- Oreimo 2
Oreshura
Persona series
- Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death
- Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream
- Persona 3 the Movie #3: Falling Down
- Persona 4 the Golden Animation
Plastic Memories
Puella Magi Madoka Magica series
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Part 1 - The Beginning
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Part 2 - The Eternal
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Part 3 - The Rebellion
R.O.D. series
- Read or Die: OVA series
- Read or Die: TV series
Rurouni Kenshin series
- Rurouni Kenshin *streaming only*
- Rurouni Kenshin: The Movie
- Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection
- Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
Samurai Flamenco
Servant x Service
Silver Spoon
Sword Art Online series
- Sword Art Online
- Sword Art Online: Extra Edition
- Sword Art Online II
- Sword Art Online The Movie (tentative name)
Valvrave the Liberator
Vividred Operation
Wagnaria!!!
World Conquest Zvezda Plot
Your lie in April

UNBOXING:

The following titles are unboxed from my own blog. I own each set and taken photos of them, some of which may need re-shoots:
Baccano! (Standard Edition US Blu-ray)
Bakemonogatari (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Expelled from Paradise (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Fate/zero Box Set 1 (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Fate/zero Box Set 2 (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
the Garden of sinners (Standard Edition JP Blu-ray Disc Box)
the Garden of sinners: recalled out summer (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Nekomonogatari Black (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Nisemonogatari (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Parts 1 & 2 - The Beginnings/Eternal (Limited Edition JP Blu-ray Disc Box)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Part 3 - The Rebellion (Limited Edition JP Blu-ray Disc Box)
Sword Art Online Box Set 1 (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Sword Art Online Box Set 2 (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Sword Art Online Box Set 3 (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)
Sword Art Online Box Set 4 (Limited Edition US Blu-ray)

(*Reserved post for any Q&A, News and other info*)

Are Aniplex of America sets region free?
All Blu-ray discs released from Aniplex of America are indeed region free. That means it will work on UK & EU Region B players.

However the DVDs are region locked to 1 (with some of the newer sets also compatible for Region 4 players).

Are there any faults with these Aniplex sets?
Pretty much 99% of the Aniplex sets have no defects whatsoever.

Oreimo 2 has a couple subtitle issues but it shouldn't ruin the experience.

There are a couple shows that contain English Dolby Digital 2.0 audio on the Blu-ray sets due to space limitations and certain nonsense:
- Aldnoah.Zero: Set 1-2
- Fate/Zero: Set 1-2
- Sword Art Online: Set 1-4

Do Aniplex of America release standard edition Blu-rays if a limited edition sells out?
They do release standard editions for certain titles. Aniplex actually did this at the beginning of their lifespan with Baccano! and Puella Magi Madoka Magica and then they didn't bother doing any for others. In mid-2014 they brought back the standard edition Blu-rays with Anohana the Movie and Kill la Kill.

Couple titles that have been released in multiple volumes like Monogatari and Nisekoi are pretty much considered standard editions due to their pricing but they only come with a small amount of episodes. Only a few didn't receive standard edition Blu-rays because the series came out earlier than the expected timeframe and as such reverse importation would be in place.

How long does a limited edition last in stock?
This varies with certain titles and the availability of other English friendly releases. Many fans despise the company and decide to pursue the Australian versions and/or the UK versions because they're cheaper and have more episodes in the package.

If the title in question is very popular then it will probably sell out but if it does within a certain amount of months then it will instead receive a second print run. Blue Exorcist and Fate/Zero sets are still in stock and have not yet receive a second print run so it will eventually sell out completely.

Any guesses as to what Aniplex of America will license in the future?
One way to predict what Aniplex will get is by looking at their main Japanese site Aniplex.co.jp. On there they have listed various anime (and other works) that they are involved with and sometimes even the upcoming titles will be included. There are titles that aren't licensed by Aniplex of America but this was before they gotten first dibs or allowed certain companies to take the title (for example Black Butler: Book of Circus and Black Butler: Book of Murder went to Funimation instead).

The titles that they are scheduled to be involved with are as follows:
Classmate (Doukyuusei)
Fate/stay night - Heaven's Feel
Granblue Fantasy
Haifuri
HoneyWorks
Rewrite
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata) Season 2
The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Taizai) ~ This particular title is still in a bidding war
The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Taizai) Season 2
The Town Where Only I am Missing (Bokumachi / Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)

Nice work! Language column is pretty useful for me. Lot more titles than I thought there was!

Brilliant Idea! Lovely to have all relevant info in one place, makes things so much easier. Thanks for putting the time in to do this.

EDIT: The Monogatari sets are still available? I passed on those cause I thought Bake & Nise must of been OOP. Now I'm getting tempted ..

Dannielle said:
Brilliant Idea! Lovely to have all relevant info in one place, makes things so much easier. Thanks for putting the time in to do this.

EDIT: The Monogatari sets are still available? I passed on those cause I thought Bake & Nise must of been OOP. Now I'm getting tempted ..

They're still selling them on UP1.

Dannielle said:

Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari received a second print run (i.e. same chipboard set but instead of an info sheet on the back cover there's a white small slip piece wrapped around like we see on the individual Monogatari arcs). The series is pretty popular so I can see these sets lasting until around mid-2016 given a cheaper version is now around.

In fact a lot of the titles are still available because of the cheaper alternatives, Anohana the Movie CE did sell out in early Spring but then received a second print run. Sword Art Online Aincrad LEs received a second print run within a couple of months after they were released and they're still available today (Fairy Dance didn't receive one and stayed out of print).

Another thing that may surprise people is that the Japanese Limited Edition sets are *actually still available* in Japan and their online retailers (Amazon JP, CD Japan etc.). I was fooled by this when I was considering the Madoka Magica Part 1/2 Limited Edition but it turns out only the Translated Booklet version had sold out. In addition, if you still wanted to get your hands on the Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Films or the Baccano! series, they're still available in Japan. The only Aniplex set that doesn't have another option is Read or Die as the Japanese version is raw (the US version is exactly the same but authored differently to include English dub and subtitles).

Makes me sad that the Fairy Dance LE sets are OOP (do you think they'll ever get a re-print?) - thanks for this thread, though, extremely useful.

Mrclt1994 said:
Makes me sad that the Fairy Dance LE sets are OOP (do you think they'll ever get a re-print?) - thanks for this thread, though, extremely useful.

I asked RACS and they said Aniplex had no plans to do so, and not long after they then brought out standard editions. So the chances of a reprint for Fairy Dance is now zero.

Apologises for the lack of updates on this thread. Here's the latest news and updates for Aniplex of America.

Release Updates

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners - Complete Blu-ray Disc Box Standard Edition (IMPORT)
Release Date: Now (Japan), November 10th (North America)
Disc Spec:
Spoken Language: Japanese
(Linear PCM 5.1 surround & Linear PCM Stereo)
Subtitles: Japanese & English
Aspect ratio: 16:9 widescreen
Episodes: 7 movies & Bonus “Final Chapter: the Garden of sinners”
Number of Disc: 8 BD discs
Total Run Time: Approx. 530 min.
Rating: 16 UP

Bonus Contents
■ “Final Chapter: the Garden of sinners” on Disc 8
■ “Pre-show Reminder” Videos

Bonus Materials and Package
■ Leaflet of key visuals of each movie
■ Rigid Box Illustrated by Takashi Takeuchi
(Original Character Design)
Grav's Advice: It's the exact same package as the Japanese set released in 2013. I recommend you get the set via Amazon Japan because it's cheaper. There are no special booklets or anything that Aniplex would translate as it's basically a barebones release.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 the Movie #3 -Falling Down- Standard Edition (IMPORT)
Release Date: January 20th (Japan), January 20th (North America)
Bonus Contents
(Included in both Collector's Edition & Standard Edition)
■ Trailers
■ Commercials
■ Audio Commentary
Notes: See below.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 the Movie #3 -Falling Down- Limited Edition (IMPORT)
Release Date: January 20th (Japan), January 20th (North America)
Bonus Contents
(Included in both Collector's Edition & Standard Edition)
■ Trailers
■ Commercials
■ Audio Commentary

Collector's Edition Exclusive Bonus Materials
■ Original Soundtrack CD (Including the theme song "Light in Starless Sky")
■ Exclusive Box Art
■ Newly Illustrated Cover Art
■ 48-page Deluxe Booklet*
■ 10 Super P3 Stickers
■ 3 Key Art Illustration Cards

Aniplex of America Exclusive Bonus Material
■ English Translation Booklet of the “Deluxe Booklet”
Notes: Exact same package as the Japanese set scheduled for January 2016. I recommend you get the set via Amazon Japan because it's cheaper however if you want to know the contents of the deluxe booklet then go ahead and get the set via US retailers instead (Rightstuf would be best as it's got a discount but you'll most likely be put into customs). United Publications USA will also sell the set but only at its SRP.

Stock Notices

SOLD OUT - Fate/zero Limited Edition Box Set I
GOING OUT OF STOCK VERY SOON - Fate/zero Limited Edition Box Set II
Fate/zero LE Box Set I has officially sold out. If you have yet to pursue the set then I highly suggest you quickly go to a retailer as soon as possible. For eBay purposes I recommend Animeshumi as I had managed to order the last remaining Sword Art Online Limited Edition Box Set III sets from them with customs value reduced to £15.15. I did end up paying double the price (£150 to be exact) but it was the best deal at the time.

Box Set 1 (Animeshumi)
Box Set 2 (Animeshumi) (Rightstuf)
Both Box Set 1 & 2 (Animeshumi)

It's not the best price in the world but it's better than whatever anyone will offer in a couple days time.

SOLD OUT - Sword Art Online Limited Edition Box Set 2 (Aincrad Part 2)
The second print version of Sword Art Online LE Box Set 2 (the one without the Weiss card) has officially sold out a couple days ago according to some folks on Blu-ray.com Forum. As I've said for Fate/zero, here's the Animeshumi link if you want it now at a decent but expensive price, I'll add Box Set 1's link as well in case you prefer to get both at the same time. The Fairy Dance arc is no longer in print so there's no need to search for them.

Box Set 1 (Animeshumi) (Rightstuf)
Box Set 2 (Animeshumi)

Trailers

Durarara!!x2 Ten (English Dub)

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 the Movie #3 -Falling Down- Limited Edition (IMPORT) *spoiler alert*

Last edited by a moderator:
NormanicGrav said:
Stock Notices

Phew. Glad I went with F/Z first.

Thanks for keeping this thread up-to-date.

BlackStrat said:
NormanicGrav said:
Stock Notices

Phew. Glad I went with F/Z first.

Thanks for keeping this thread up-to-date.

No problem! Some of us on this forum would want to know about these things, and it's a good thing I found out about Fate/zero last night because that's going to cause a riot online in the next few days in terms of pricing.

I'm rather glad I bought them earlier in the year now I think about it. The next major title that could go out of print next is Blue Exorcist but it looks like the combination of mixed reception to the series and a vastly cheaper (and surprisingly reasonable transfer) with the Manga UK has made the Aniplex sets last over 2 years now! Bakemonogatari (Nov 2012) and Nisemonogatari (Feb 2013) LEs are still around as they received a second print run sometime early last year.

For anyone bummed out about Fate/zero, Aniplex will most likely offer a standard edition set (on-disc content should be the same) sometime down the pipeline.

Glad I picked up the Fate Zero sets earlier this year and also that I grabbed the SAO parts 1 and 2 sets. Just waiting on DRRR!! as i am getting x2 from AoA also and so wanted consistency on my shelf. Then I may look to get the monogatari series and I am debating on getting the Kill La Kill sets also. Really want to build up my Aniplex collection - still bitter that i missed out on the madpka series sets though lol

Are the Madoka sets just flat out completely unavailable? Even used? I'd be very interested in getting the Aniplex sets so long as the prices aren't crazy. I think I'd like ~£100 per set or something, maybe a little more but nothing over like £120 or £130.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Are the Madoka sets just flat out completely unavailable? Even used? I'd be very interested in getting the Aniplex sets so long as the prices aren't crazy. I think I'd like ~£100 per set or something, maybe a little more but nothing over like £120 or £130.

The Limited Edition singles have been out of print since the end of 2013. I doubt you won't be able to find them at a good price unless it's someone who has no idea how much they are worth.

Ah, shame. I don't even think I was watching Anime in 2013, nevermind having the cash to shell out Aniplex prices for a series yet now I actually have an income they're unavailable. Such is life. If I were to look for used copies, even at high prices, where would you recommend I look? I just want an idea of how high they go.

Stock Notices

SOLD OUT - Nisekoi False Love Volume 1
Rightstuf have listed Nisekoi False Love Volume 1 as out of stock however it's possible the volume will be reprinted. The volume wasn't promoted as a Limited Edition (unlike Monogatari) so it's likely that Aniplex have marketed these volume sets to last quite a while. The same should apply to Durarara!!x2, The Irregular at Magic High School, Persona 4 Golden and Valvrave the Liberator.

If it was out of print, Rightstuf would have listed the item as:
Item Currently Unavailable. Add this item to your list to keep track of its current status.

EDIT: Nisekoi Volume 1 was actually released on 25th November 2014. My bad, but that's quite a new release. I still guess another print run is planned.

NormanicGrav said:
Stock Notices

SOLD OUT - Nisekoi False Love Volume 1
Rightstuf have listed Nisekoi False Love Volume 1 as out of stock however it's possible the volume will be reprinted. The volume wasn't promoted as a Limited Edition (unlike Monogatari) so it's likely that Aniplex have marketed these volume sets to last quite a while. The same should apply to Durarara!!x2, The Irregular at Magic High School, Persona 4 Golden and Valvrave the Liberator.

If it was out of print, Rightstuf would have listed the item as:
Item Currently Unavailable. Add this item to your list to keep track of its current status.

Nisekoi Volume 1 was released September 2014.

Even with just the 'out of stock' it makes me think 's***, I need to grab it fast' so as soon as it comes back in stock I'll grab it lol

Mrclt1994 said:
Even with just the 'out of stock' it makes me think 's***, I need to grab it fast' so as soon as it comes back in stock I'll grab it lol

I did the exact same thing with Anohana the Movie's Collector's Edition back in January.

Rightstuf then delisted it and then not long after it was brought back up like nothing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back