Beez Entertainment Discussion

I'd actually missed the news of the original Gundam show getting an AL release Stateside. It'd be GREAT if we got it over here too! The thought of buying the compilation movie box set has never really appealed to me.

As for Turn A, I can see that getting dubbed. I never expected to hear any news about it quickly. Sub or dub, I'll just be overjoyed to own it. Fingers crossed for a UK AL release!

My concern is - what happened to the UK Anime Legends release of Outlaw Star? It seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front.

Question for Andrew or indeed anyone who knows. Why do companies release individual volumes and then boxsets for the most part? I can understand with TV shows currently airing but when all the anime we get has already finished, why not just go straight to box set? I'm guessing part of it is for more money, but some people often wait for a boxset and sales are lost that way no? Is it just a case of testing demand?

Rui said:
I don't believe that Turn A will be dubbed given the current market where people no longer seem willing to actually support dubs, and the show's niche, older image amongst fandom. Bayaob's NYAF liveblog records this being asked in Bandai's Q&A yesterday:

"turn a gundam, dub? no plans"

So which comes out first is probably still to be seen.

R

So they're going to release it sub only? That's unexpected. I mean that's how I watched online and that was how I was going to watch it on DVD, so it makes no difference, but still. Niche title indeed...

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Question for Andrew or indeed anyone who knows. Why do companies release individual volumes and then boxsets for the most part? I can understand with TV shows currently airing but when all the anime we get has already finished, why not just go straight to box set? I'm guessing part of it is for more money, but some people often wait for a boxset and sales are lost that way no? Is it just a case of testing demand?

would you be happy to wait an extra year for the anime though?

most shows are released as singles as and when they get so many eps dubbed, subbed, ect

obviously the more you dub in 1 go, the longer it will take for a release

Ryo Chan said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

most shows are released as singles as and when they get so many eps dubbed, subbed, ect

I do that anyway if I wait for a boxset no? and we get ours from the US often after they've released the full series anyways. It's not like we're re dubbing them

There's probably also a matter of economics; it's going to be easier for the anime company if they start getting a flow of money in sooner instead of waiting and hoping that it will all pay off at the end. In essence, the volume one sales might be paying for the volume three dub. Probably even more important in cases where it's a small company with a tiny catalogue and not much capital to spend.

They're having to work around this now though with the market having changed, and the UK companies don't tend to dub much themselves so things will be different. It's an interesting time.

R

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ryo Chan said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

I do that anyway if I wait for a boxset no? and we get ours from the US often after they've released the full series anyways. It's not like we're re dubbing them

bot directly though, they still have the process of re-convering and subtitle editing once it gets to the uk

Ryo Chan said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Ryo Chan said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

bot directly though, they still have the process of re-convering and subtitle editing once it gets to the uk

Ah true. I was forgetting about the format difference.

Just a few Gundam questions.

1. Asking this one again. Last weekend, a one off screening of Gundam 00 A wakening of the Trailblazer was shown in New York. Is there any likelyhood of such a screening in the UK?

2. Any word on Gundam Unicorn Volume 2?

3. Is beez likely to release the 2 episode standard DVD sets for Unicorn BEI mentioned this past weekend?

I doubt we'll get "Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer" until Beez have finished releasing the second season. It is a sequel after all.

Andrew, if you're still at Beez when you read this - how come the second AL boxset of Gundam SEED is out of stock on nearly every site i go on? They got the first on Amazon for about £15, as well as both the SEED Destiny boxsets for about the same price, but i can't find the second SEED boxset on any site except HMV, and on there it's about £22

Does the boxset need another print run or something?

Noticed that the RRP for Durarara! is wavering. Anime On Line has V1 at £24.99 as before, discounted to £18.74.

This did have better discounts at Play and HMV around £15, but now Play has its Durarara volumes 1 and 2 at £27.99, discounted to £17.99

HMV's RRP is £34.99. again discounted to £17.99

The Hut family still have it RRPing at £24.99

I ordered both sets from HMV when they were £15. Their pre-order price guarantee should mean that I get them for that regardless of any subsequent increases. Should...

Incidentally, now that Andrew has departed I wonder about the fate of the dub disc upgrade program he talked about. I doubt there's any mention of it on their site and wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen.

Hmm, I think I forgot to preorder DRRR!! as I was going to pick it up at the Expo. Zavvi still have it at £15.85, so I'll go with them while I think about it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Incidentally, now that Andrew has departed I wonder about the fate of the dub disc upgrade program he talked about. I doubt there's any mention of it on their site and wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen.
I think it was mention on the Anime Chronicle podcast interview with him, but I was only half paying attention as is my bad habit with podcasts.

HdE said:
My concern is - what happened to the UK Anime Legends release of Outlaw Star? It seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front.

Doing my last run through questions from Beez before I hop it to my handle kaze_andrew instead.

Outlaw Star will be 2011 currently due to a problem with masters we were sent. It's being actively worked on though and Beez are keen to see it released ^^.

Andrew

Back