Beez Entertainment Discussion

melonpan

Death Scythe
Well, I've seen a new member called beez_andrew recently browsing the forums, and it would be really nice to have some real contact with a representitive from a distributor because that seldom happens on any UK forums I've seen.

So, basically, I'm wondering quite a few things really, I know I could talk about lots of anime series, but I want to focus on FLCL, because it isn't tied to a specific US distributor, i.e. it doesn't go directly to any UK distributor.
Firstly; is this even a possibility for being released in the UK?
Secondly; with the recent announcement of AnimeCentral, and it showing a lot of Beez' shows, how possible would it be to get FLCL on TV. Not just on AnimeCentral though, I mean a terrestrial channel. I wonder about FLCL because it seems to be accessible to lots of different types of people as it includes popular culture (albeit Japanese most of the time), vivid animation that would capture anyones attention.. and music that is popular in the demographic that FLCL targets.

Lastly, and this is a totally different topic. With Bandai Ent starting to release manga in the US (Eureka Seven, Witchblade, etc), how possible is it for Beez to go into releasing manga? There are a lot of manga titles out there that are currently not planned for a UK release, and probably never will be. Not only that, with the recent surge of announcements of 'light novels', it can be assumed that they are becoming very popular, and of course, the whole Japanese book interest in France, and the rest of Europe is quite massive, with the French market often releasing titles before, or even without a US release. (Probably having a better release in some cases, with the edits made in US releases). I know this is kind of a futile question, but anything is possible. On the Haruhi note, I know the anime release for Haruhi seems to be quite a bother with all the different involvements of different US companies, so how possible would it be to release the extremely popular Haruhi light novels? I'm sure novels are cheaper to license than anime (although translation costs would be high).

Many thanks in advance, I hope this turns out to be an interesting topic.

Good idea, DaNiMe! I'd love for the whole Haruhi thing to be sorted out. Considering it's such a popular series and all, I really can't see why a big effort shouldn't be made to bring that series over here! ^_^

FLCL would be nice too, but I'm pretty sure Beez only deal with Bandai's properties.

FLCL is adult swim US highest ever rated anime so I'd imagine the rights are really expensive or either that someone has the rights and just does'nt know what to do with it.

Either way I find it hard to believe that no one has even contemplated buying the rights to FLCL, not unless defunct CNX or something has them.

CitizenGeek said:
Good idea, DaNiMe! I'd love for the whole Haruhi thing to be sorted out. Considering it's such a popular series and all, I really can't see why a big effort shouldn't be made to bring that series over here! ^_^

FLCL would be nice too, but I'm pretty sure Beez only deal with Bandai's properties.

In that case why haven't we seen Outlaw Star on DVD yet even though it's shown on TV twice :?

I would love to see the Haruhi lightnovels get an English translation. Even if they only got as far as the USA, or even were only translated into French, I'd still import to read them. (GCSE-ish-level French ought to be enough, right? :D )

adamcube said:
Even if they only got as far as the USA

Well then you could still get them. You would just have to get them off Amazon.co.uk or some site like that. They seam to have pretty much every American manga/anime/manga related novel translations available weather they had an official UK release or not.

If there is someone from Beez reading the forum then i have this to say. Hurry up and license Tokyo Tribes 2 already!

It would be nice to see a confirmed release for the haruhi series here, and also it would be great to see the haruhi light novels released as well, since i really enjoy reading them at the moment and would love to own them.

Also anything that may suggest Outlaw Star getting released here would be nice to know.

Nyu said:
If there is someone from Beez reading the forum then i have this to say. Hurry up and license Tokyo Tribes 2 already!
Tokyo Tribe 2 is undergoing consideration. The European licence is owned by BEEZ but they are deciding whether to release in the UK or not (so far as I remember from Ame at least).

Yeah, it all relys on the Europeans taking it up. We can thank the Nightmare team up of the BBFC's horrific fees and the European union for this.

Perhaps it would make sense to put this on Beez's own forum as Andrew definitely reads the input over there. No idea if he comes this far out...

I heard that ADV skipped FLCL, but I agree it sounds like something Beez could pull off. I think they're more in line with the French releases, so maybe an eye on what's being released over there would be a starting point to see what their plans may be.

heh, out of all the distro's I think Andrew's the most likely you'll get to post here :) (although you have had Rev Films on haven't you?)
Bear in mind thought that most of them really are up to their necks on workload (the UK distro's really are very small operations) so very often can't spare the time to browse different forums; still, I think it'd be nice if they were able to pop on and post important comments every so often though :)

hmm, OK, from what I know about bits and bobs, last I spoke to Andrew Beez were looking at Haruhi but it's a really expensive licence, not only is it a big up front cost it also has a condition of monthly guaranteed returns attached. Since the Haruhi fanbase is still very small in the UK it's pretty much priced her out of the market for the moment :(

As regarding FLCL, Beez is obviously primarily a French distro, so a lot of their decisions are going to be based on what titles they have for the french market (a market which is huge in comparison to ours). Since Dybex have the french distro rights on FLCL, it makes it much harder for Beez to get (also a strong reason why we haven't seen the likes of Now & Then, Here & There over here).
I'm still a bit shaky on my knowledge of the French markets though, so please correct me if I'm wrong ;D

p.s. I think Andrews probably quite interested in your feedback on the Anime Central threads ;)

MTW said:
So does this mean that anime uk news is quite popular now?
If distributor's are coming on here :eek:

What, you didn't think AUKN was one of the best and biggest general access UK anime fanbase websites?

Don't underrate how much your opinions count, you know...

Fellistowe said:
MTW said:

What, you didn't think AUKN was one of the best and biggest general access UK anime fanbase websites?

I knew it was fairly big but not big enough to attract any officials

MTW said:
Fellistowe said:
MTW said:

It's the biggest in the UK, apparently.

I'm surprised to hear that about the French market (that it's much bigger than the UK market) to be honest. If I'm not mistaken, the populations of the UK and of France are more or less the same. Is it just a case that more French people like anime?

CitizenGeek said:
I'm surprised to hear that about the French market (that it's much bigger than the UK market) to be honest. If I'm not mistaken, the populations of the UK and of France are more or less the same. Is it just a case that more French people like anime?

I think the French like animation more in general. I don't think they have that generic mind-line of 'its for kids'.

Jayme said:
CitizenGeek said:

I think the French like animation more in general. I don't think they have that generic mind-line of 'its for kids'.

That goes for more or less all the European countries except the UK, that's why we get everything last. Such a shame.

DaNiMe-sama said:
MTW said:
Fellistowe said:
MTW said:

It's the biggest in the UK, apparently.

not to sure, ANUK is competing against AnimeonDVD remember, most of the reps seem to be there

Back