Your viewing journal

Doctor Who: Paradise Towers [Extended Edition] & extras.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters
episodes 145-147

Farewell, My Dear Cramer ep 13 (complete)
Ambitious Goal.
A sports show with some fun characters. I wouldn't say it was like other sports shows I've seen as by the end of season in others the team in question has usually won something either prefectural or national whereas this was very much about the first steps of finding out about themselves and actually coming together as a team before, I guess, going on to the winning stuff part. Hopefully there'll be a second season, if not I think I'll pick up the manga at some point. Also as a football fan I like all the references and tactical talk.
The character designs were fairly unique although some of the less out there secondary characters looked similar to others. The animation wasn't the best and during matches used frames sparingly, but some times that worked to show a piece of skill in slow motion.
7/10

Osamake
ep 11
Interviews.

Higehiro ep 13 (complete)
Goodbye?
I think I'll have to agree with @Dai here. I'll add that it did make me feel sympathetic with Sayu, but didn't really ask the viewers to really think about it, in the end she sheepishly went home to her terrible mother and graduated and then, seemingly, went back to live with Yoshida. This totally disregard the other characters who I'm not sure what they really brought apart from "Yoshida likes older women, honest" and better female role models for Sayu than her mother. The end meant he, sort of, just went back on his words just because she's an "adult" now. Seems in Japan it's controversial, not because a child had been put in a situation where she had to run away, but because Yoshida broke the law by taking her in. I mean he could have talked to the authorities, but compared to the other men she met he was a saint, even though he points out he isn't really. Seems there's a bit of a cultural disconnect there as well.
Art and animation were pretty standard fair, seems a lot of the time when things get animated characters get simplified, especially by smaller studios to make it easier to animate, but it comes off as rather bland.
6/10

eps 10 & 11 (complete)
The last trip.
Pretty simple message of "War (and discrimination) is bad, mkay", but I didn't really care too much about the characters and the ending wasn't that satisfying. They just, possibly (there's apparently a second season coming), just die instead of fighting back or finding a quiet place to live ! I saw an interesting post on MAL that said you're not really supposed to get to know the 86 which is why we spent a lot of time with Lena, the handler (ie the oppressor) who starts to oppose the war, but is powerless to actually do something. But we did spend plenty of time with the 86. Only Shin got enough screen time to get to know him, but he was quite emotionless.
The art and animation were fine, but the mech looked a bit stupid and too big to be as manoeuvrable as they were animated to be and the battles too dark and hectic.
6/10

Combatants Will Be Dispatched
ep 9
Desert is served.

Shadows House ep 12
Plan into action.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
One of the comfiest isekai series with a great ensemble of characters and great comedy. Azusa is definitely one of my favourite isekai protagonists and having Aoi Yuki's voice certainly helped. Was a real fun series and I'm hoping they'll do a second season sometime.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Blimey I've got a lot of bad takes regarding this one. Certainly a contender for my least favourite anime movie.

Last edited:
Finished watching Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex 2nd GIG dubbed, I do also own Solid State Society so I'll get to that sometime soon, I'd say my overall impression was that it was very good but I didn't personally vibe with it as much as some of the other anime that were extremely popular in the same time period such as Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop :) Have now started watching episode 1 of the Tatsuo Sato-directed series Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars as I recently greatly enjoyed watching Stellvia, which he also directed :)

Moriarty the Patriot s2 eps 12 & 13 (complete)
The end game.
More of the same from this interesting take on the Sherlock Holmes franchise.
8/10
They omitted quite a few important arcs which had william and sherlock interacting more
I did wonder why they were so chummy at the end. I got that they were two geniuses who respected each other, but were on opposite sides of the law, so could never truly be friends. But at the end they seemed like BFFs. I could get that in this alternative take, but Watson seems like he was OK with it when just the episode before he was berating Sherlock for killing someone and would have, probably, blamed Moriarty for that.

Wonder Egg Priority (Special/Ep 13)
First half is a recap and then the second half Ummmmm!
This answered very few questions, it did answer why Ai's friend committed "suicide" (she didn't really though, she slipped after threatening to, to blackmail a teacher which sort of destroys the whole plot!), but forgot to even mention a load more and then asked even more! And there's some randomness to the character actions compared to earlier.
Such a shame this series crash landed.
5/10

Fruits Basket Final Season
eps 12 & 13 (complete)
Thank you and goodbye.
This season started where the last ended with an arms race to see who had the s**tiest parents. Once the winner was declared, hard to choose, but probably Akito's for forcing her to grow up as a boy. It's no wonder she was such a b***h, especially with the added pressure of being head of the family. Finally they got back to breaking the curse, which seemed to happen really quickly, and then declaring the winner between Yuki and Kyo, whilst the other also found someone. This last part, despite some niggles, was quite moving and I enjoyed it, but the show never quite got back to the fun and joyousness of the first season.
8/10 (same as the second season, but I'd put this just a bit higher)

WONDER EGG PRIORITY (Japanese audio) - Episode 13 (Completed)

Despite being double-length, the first 25 minutes is actually a recap of the second half of the TV series so if you don't care about that stuff just skip to 25:20 when you start the episode.

Pokemon-Concerned-1.png

But it doesn't matter because this was the biggest unsatisfactory conclusion I have seen in a long time. While some answers were given, the rest was brushed aside like it was nothing. Hey remember that AI that was causing the girl suicides? Yeah doesn't matter. Hey remember those ****** up bug reapers? Yeah doesn't matter. Hey remember the parallel worlds that we introduced at the last second? Yeah doesn't matter. No climatic turnout, just Ai getting upset over Neiru doing something and moving on like it's none of our business. It also sequel baits at the end which is just stupid. This show had potential, but this ending was bad.

Last edited:
Doctor Who: Delta and the Bannermen [Extended Edition] & extras.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters
episodes 148-151

Higehiro: I Shaved. Then I Brought A High School Girl Home-I really liked this series because it didn't get into histrionics, everyone stayed fairly level-headed and it had an ending that looped back to the beginning.

Godzilla: Singular Point
Despite all the borderline excessive academic dialogue I really enjoyed this series. Sure I didn't 100% understand the science but I still had good fun following the mystery and watching the kaiju fights, especially coming from studios Bones and Orange. As always Orange provided great CG work for the kaiju battles, Kato Kozue's character designs were great and the callbacks to classic Ikufube music was a nice touch. Really hoping this gets a second season sometime.

Also while it's not a simulcast it's great that Netflix at least released the series as it finished. I know many will still hate their release model but this is certainly a move in the right direction.

Last edited:
Combatants Will Be Dispatched ep 10
Streaming party.

Vivy ep 10
Song of all time.

Osamake ep 12 (complete)
And the winner is... no-one!
This could have been interesting, but I don't think the three main girls were different enough to really root for one of them, especially with the "they're all childhood friends" revelation and there are 5 other girls in the mix, none serious contenders but they just added a layer of confusion. The childhood star coming back to the limelight also didn't seem to be fully utilised, especially with the old trope of a dead parent being the reason he quit not being that interesting.
It being Doga Kobo the art and animation were pretty good and the OP/ED really good and the VAs were very good dispite some of the dialogue.
6/10

ODD TAXI
eps 11-13 (complete)
Human after all.
A mystery show that kept you guessing about all sorts of things apart from the central plot thread. The only problem I had was trying to keep track of all the characters and whilst it was fairly neatly tied up at the end a few of the characters being at the scene of the finale seemed too coincidental.
The art was quite unique and colourful and whilst the animation wasn't top notch, the cg especially was a little stiff, but it didn't really need to be to enjoy the story.
9/10

Doctor Who: Dragonfire [Extended Edition] & extras

Higurashi: When they Cry - Sotsu
episodes 1-2 Out of sight.

Peach Boy Riverside episode 1 A curious fantasy outing so far.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters episodes 152-155

Last edited:
June 28th - July 1st.

Ben-To (English Dub) Episode 1-12 (Complete. Food fights with a twist and a solid series overall but nothing to remarkable. It was pretty fun, also a little weird humour-wise.) 3/5

Fruits Basket: The Final Season (English Dub) Episode 63 Emotional Epilogue. (Complete. An emotional conclusion to one of the the best romance animes and one of my personal favorites. This anime has been an absolute joy to watch, it has had everything needed to keep me engrossed from start to finish. After the disappointment of the original 2001 series which left me with a few mixed opinions, however this adaption has done the entire franchise justice by righting those wrongs.) 4/5

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω (English Dub) Episode 2

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S Short Animation Series Episode 1-13 (Complete. A relaxing series of 2-3 minute shorts focusing on more of the daily SoL lives of the main cast. Overall an decent watch.) 3/5

Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose Episode 12 (Complete. A pleasant rom-com anime that for me didn't really bring anything new to the table, but at least remained enjoyable throughout.) 3/5

The Beast Player Erin Episodes 11-22 - an absolutely lovely series, one of my bucket list shows so I'm really glad I'm finally making progress with it. I particularly like that it puts more thought into its messages than a lot of series do, in particular the stuff about treating animals with respect is very well put forward :) so far would recommend to those who liked The Twelve Kingdoms, or enjoy the fantasy worlds and reverence for nature themes of Studio Ghibli films :)

Undeafeated Bahamut Chronicle, episode 1.

My work schedule's been crazy for the last couple of weeks, and with no immediate change in sight for a while, I decided I'd try to break up my working day by taking a longer lunch break and watching an episode of whatever anime came to hand from my pile fo shame.

I've been warned this show isn't up to much, but dear lord, what a lacklustre opening! The 'awkward sex comedy + mecha' angle doesn't appeal, if I'm honest. But this opening episode is poorly served by the fact that the comedy isn't funny and the mecha content is dull as dishwater.

I think the lack of a dub hurts this show as well. Had Sentai handed this over to their VO talent pool, I think I might actually feel a little bit more enthusiastic about it.

Ah well. Early days. Let's see how it goes.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched ep 11
Ruinous.

Megalo Box: NOMAD eps 11-13 (complete)
Final fight.
The first half was excellent take on refinding ones self after going into a spiral of despair and destruction and the second half was about rebuilding bridges, but it also added other elements which, whilst interesting, didn't seem to fit with the overall story and the final fight was a little anticlimactic.
The art and animation were just as good as the first season and the OST was great.
9/10

HameFura, My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! episode 1 Should be another fun season.

The Case Study of Vanitas episode 1 Looks interesting so far.

Dragon Ball Z Kai The Final Chapters episodes 156-167 (Complete. Overall a solid way to rewatch the series, though with TFC the pacing didn’t feel as tight but still offered a decent time even if the Buu saga is my least favourite of DBZ’s arcs.) 3.5/5

Dragon Ball Super
episodes 47-55

Last edited:
Back