Your viewing journal

Future Police Urashiman - Episodes 38 - 41

Urashiman continues to be simple entertainment with the occasional stand out episode, one of which was episode 40, a tense action packed episode with absolutely incredible animation (like movie quality) for a 1983 TV show!

Steel Jeeg - Episodes 5 - 7

Getter Robo ARC - Episode 1

I've been looking forward to this as I'm a big fan of the franchise and this was a solid first episode and had a nice link back to the original series.

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway

It amazes how far anime availability in the UK has come in that I can now watch the latest Gundam movie at home within weeks of it's Japanese release. Plus with Eva 3.0+1.0 coming next month it is a good time to be a fan.

The film itself was OK, I quite liked the way it built the post Char's Counterattack world and how the characters developed but some of the animation choices left a lot to be desired and I didn't like the final battle being in the dark as it was quite hard to work what was going on a times which spoilt an otherwise good confrontation between Hathaway and Lane.

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song eps 11-13 (complete)
Singing for the future.
A bit like quite a few shows this season it had a strong start, but wavered as it went on. One arc in the middle was quite boring, but the ending was OK, although it did reveal the "motive" of the bad AI to be the same old trope of "for the benefit of mankind we must wipe it out" and the answer to beat this was if an AI can write and sing its own song then all is well in the world!
Art and animation were great with some awesome action scenes, although some with Matsumoto looked odd. Talking of the motormouth Ai, he talked too quickly for me to follow a lot of the time.
7/10

I decided to drop To Your Eternity. I did intend to go beyond where I got to in the manga, but only got to the same point, but it was enough to remind why I had dropped the manga. A silent protagonist doesn't get me invested, although it can work with good companions (see Dororo) and the ones here were dumb kids who were annoyingly naive.
So that's the Spring season done.

Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki-kun OVA 2 (although as suspected this actually number 1 and Funimation put them up in the wrong order)
Fireworks.
Both were nice, but ultimately fluff with not much relevance to the story of the parent series.
6/10

Life Lessons with Uramichi-Oniisan
ep 1
Seems funny enough, but man says weird/inappropriate/depressing stuff to kids could get old quick.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season 2nd Part episode 37 Reintroductions.

Dragon Ball Super episodes 110-121

Tried watching Deadwood and Dollhouse but both upset me too much so I'm now rewatching Kiki's Delivery Service 🤣 🥰 👍 I also started rewatching Castle in the Sky again (both with the Disney English dubs, though I am curious about the older dubs for both films) :)

I remember watching Beast Player Erin 5 or 6 years ago and really enjoying it immensely. The source I watched it from was pretty crappy video and audio wise though.

Ouran High School Host Club (English audio) - Episodes 10-13
Ouran High School Host Club (Japanese audio) - Episode 14

So I've watched half of the series dubbed. I went with the dub due to overall fanfare saying it's one of the best or better dubs out there and I can definitely see why a lot of people love it, and personally I am a big fan of the dub performance for Haruhi (Caitlin Glass) as I felt it fit the role and was really solid. The rest of the cast did a good job also, but I felt that due to recent events it has aged pretty badly especially if you consider how the characters act between each other and the girls in the show. In addition Episode 10 is also transphobic in terms of the terminology used in the dub so that was awkward and hasn't aged well either. But in general and it's probably an issue with me, the dub has made me less focused or engaged with the episodes which isn't good at all.

Overall I can understand why a lot of people love the English dub and it's definitely one that stood its time back then (remember this dub came out in 2008, that's 13 years ago). However as much as I love Haruhi's dub voice, I'm going to follow the second half in Japanese especially as we have Mamoru Miyano who you really can't top in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Drugstore in Another World: The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist Episode 1 A comfy fantasy outing so far.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S Episode 1 This is going to be another fun season.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 2nd Season Part 2 Episode 37 Reintroduced.

Drug Store in Another World - The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist episode 1 This seems pleasant enough.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S Shorts 1-13 & Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S episode 1 A new arrival.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- episode 1 I wonder how self-aware the narrative will remain.

Dragon Ball Super episodes 122-131 (Complete. I finally finished Super and there were some great battles here and there. The tournament of power arc was pretty enjoyable overall too.) 3.5/5

Ouran High School Host Club (English audio) - Episodes 10-13
Ouran High School Host Club (Japanese audio) - Episode 14

So I've watched half of the series dubbed. I went with the dub due to overall fanfare saying it's one of the best or better dubs out there and I can definitely see why a lot of people love it, and personally I am a big fan of the dub performance for Haruhi (Caitlin Glass) as I felt it fit the role and was really solid. The rest of the cast did a good job also, but I felt that due to recent events it has aged pretty badly especially if you consider how the characters act between each other and the girls in the show. In addition Episode 10 is also transphobic in terms of the terminology used in the dub so that was awkward and hasn't aged well either. But in general and it's probably an issue with me, the dub has made me less focused or engaged with the episodes which isn't good at all.

Overall I can understand why a lot of people love the English dub and it's definitely one that stood its time back then (remember this dub came out in 2008, that's 13 years ago). However as much as I love Haruhi's dub voice, I'm going to follow the second half in Japanese especially as we have Mamoru Miyano who you really can't top in terms of performance.

I would agree, it's not a bad dub but I did end up watching most of the show in Japanese again when I rewatched it, my understanding is also that the word for Haruhi's father used in the original Japanese version is generally not considered to be offensive on the same level as the word used in the English dub (I'm sorry if this is a misconception on my part)? I do have trans friends who were upset by the use of the t-slur in that ep even though they generally enjoyed the series, so you're entirely right to point it out IMO. As my little under profile text would indicate, on the whole I quite like dubs, but Ouran is better in Japanese, I'd also say that I have heard other Funi dubs for comedies that I thought were better such as the ones for School Rumble and Assassination Classroom :) I can't remember what Mamoru Miyano's actually been in rn but I know he's a legend and I know I've heard him in things and been well impressed, even if I can't remember what they are at this minute 😅 OK so I looked him up on Wikipedia and yep he's amazing and obviously pretty darned versatile since he can pull off serious dramatic characters like Kiba from Wolf's Rain and wacky fellas like Tamaki Suoh and Death The Kid with aplomb and he was even Rintaro Okabe in Steins;Gate (I watched Death Note mostly dubbed in the end for convenience and cuz the dub is really good but I remember he was great as Light Yagami as well) :)

EDIT: I finished rewatching Castle in the Sky, rewatched Disney's Hercules then popped on Weathering With You and watched about 5 min before falling asleep lol (it's not boring I was just tired 🤣). I do wanna make progress with my backlog but these movies are just so fun and I know what happens so I'm not gonna get rly upset XP

Last edited:
I would agree, it's not a bad dub but I did end up watching most of the show in Japanese again when I rewatched it, my understanding is also that the word for Haruhi's father used in the original Japanese version is generally not considered to be offensive on the same level as the word used in the English dub (I'm sorry if this is a misconception on my part)? I do have trans friends who were upset by the use of the t-slur in that ep even though they generally enjoyed the series, so you're entirely right to point it out IMO. As my little under profile text would indicate, on the whole I quite like dubs, but Ouran is better in Japanese, I'd also say that I have heard other Funi dubs for comedies that I thought were better such as the ones for School Rumble and Assassination Classroom :) I can't remember what Mamoru Miyano's actually been in rn but I know he's a legend and I know I've heard him in things and been well impressed, even if I can't remember what they are at this minute 😅 OK so I looked him up on Wikipedia and yep he's amazing and obviously pretty darned versatile since he can pull off serious dramatic characters like Kiba from Wolf's Rain and wacky fellas like Tamaki Suoh and Death The Kid with aplomb and he was even Rintaro Okabe in Steins;Gate (I watched Death Note mostly dubbed in the end for convenience and cuz the dub is really good but I remember he was great as Light Yagami as well) :)

EDIT: I finished rewatching Castle in the Sky, rewatched Disney's Hercules then popped on Weathering With You and watched about 5 min before falling asleep lol (it's not boring I was just tired 🤣). I do wanna make progress with my backlog but these movies are just so fun and I know what happens so I'm not gonna get rly upset XP
I didn't check the subtitles on the disc for that specific episode but there was a screencap online followed by ANN's 2020 review that seems to show that even the subtitle translation script, which never got revised this whole time, used "tranny" at least. I get what you mean though, and I reckon if the show was given a revised translation it would have been improved.

As for Miyano, his voice was surprisingly different for the show so it's not your usual iconic tone that he has with recent shows like ZOMBIE LAND SAGA, but it's such a big difference in character between the dub and sub so in a sense you have two personalities of choice if that makes sense?

Speaking of backlog (Blu-rays), including Ouran I have roughly 57 shows (this does include split seasons like Silver Spoon, Magic Knight Rayearth etc.), 18 films, 7 OVA series and 8 individual OVA episodes to sort out. Though I usually go through 12 titles in-between each new anime season.

The Duke of Death and His Maid ep 1
Seems like a comedy with low levels of ecchi and teasing, like a tamer Nagatoro, but also seems like there's a bit of drama with the whole curse and people treating him as a monster. There's a weird juxtaposition in the art with the painterly backgrounds complete with canvas effect and the cg characters. The characters have the same style as Hi Score Girl which I grew to like, but it seems a weird choice to mix styles like that.

The Detective is Already Dead ep 1
The first half was quite interesting, but the second half was a bit WTF is going on until they tied it together with this evil corporation. There was also a weird disconnect between the character model and his supposed age, no way was he a middle schooler, it's like they couldn't be bothered to draw a middle school version because after the time skip at the end of the episode they wouldn't need to do it again!
Some nice sakuga in the action scene.

Girlfriend, Girlfriend ep 1
I know harem shows are pure wish fulfillment, but something about this first episode was a bit creepy. I think it's the fact that after years of pursuing one of the girls she says yes and then suddenly another pops up and he wants to date her straight away after one meeting! And then desperately begs the first one to agree with him going out with both of them. Normally the MC isn't actually dating any of the girls there just happen to be a lot of girls around him that all end up fancying him. Wasn't particularly funny either.

Kageki Shoujo!! ep 1
Seems to have some interesting characters.

The Case Study of Vanitas ep 1
Not quite sure what to make of this, story might be interesting, the action is pretty good, but the comedy is the OTT Shounen-like reaction stuff which tends to grate if there's too much of it.

Villainess s2 e1
Festival time, but not as expected.

The Aquatope on White Sand ep 1
Seems like it'll be an interesting and fun SOL. Some really nice art as well.

Higurashi: When they Cry - Sotsu episode 3 Slice.

Peach Boy Riverside episode 2 Consensual travel.

The Aquatope on White Sand episode 1 This could be quite an interesting watch.

Elemental Gelade episodes 1-13

Hayate The Combat Butler-I'm doing a rewatch of the entire series and it's just as fun and quirky as I remember it being the first time I watched it 7 or 8 years ago.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Ω (English Dub) Episode 3

Peach Boy Riverside Episode 2 A new travel buddy.

The Aquatope on White Sand Episode 1 Looks like this could be a decent watch.

Back