What manga are you reading now?

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness

I Saved Too Many Girls and Caused the Apocalypse Volume 4 (light novel).

Last edited:
Akira volume 3

OK now it's veering away from the film even more (or rather the other way around obvs). Hardly any recognisable scenes, but some with similar themes.

And
walking tanks before Ghost in the Shell! Don't remember them in the film?

I recently finished the Sound! Euphonium novel and really enjoyed it. I'm a massive fan of the anime, and whilst I did like the book a lot, I still feel the anime is superior. I think it did a better job at developing its side characters, such as the wonderful episode where Kumiko has to try and cheer up Hazuki, and the anime also made some small adjustments for the better to existing scenes such as Reina performing the trumpet on top of the mountain instead of just sitting up there and the way the solo part was decided during the re-auditions. That, and the fact the anime can actually let you hear the music, which gives it a big leg up. Still, I did quite enjoy being able to see things strictly from Kumiko's point of view and hear her internal thoughts a bit more, and it's also a lot more concise if that's more your jam. Despite preferring the anime, it's not by much, honestly, and I ended up totally adoring both. Can only cross my fingers that we get the sequel book soon.

Akira volume 4

Pretty much beyond the film now, apart from the flash back scenes and the introduction of a character that had been missing until now.

Not sure I like the way the story has turned. Like the film took a couple of rewatches, this may need a reread.

Nisemonogatari Volume 1 (light novel).

Good volume, although once again I feel like nothing happens until the final part. It's nice to see more of Araragi's sisters and they seem like fun members of the cast.
I do have one problem though: we never found out what Hitagi's request was!

Akira volume 6

Hmmm. I wonder why nearly 30 years after the film there has never been any other anime to come out of these volumes? The film chops stuff that I think didn't really needed to be in the film, but there's plenty of stuff that could have been used such as
The use of Kei as conduit for the other numbers powers and her fight with Tetsuo.
Plus expanding on things only scratched upon by both the film and the manga as to what and where the powers come from and the events that lead to the wiping out of Tokyo.
It could easily fill a 24 episode season using everything not used for the film and some extra stuff.

The Case Study of Vanitas Vol.2
Noragami
Vol. 12
Twittering Birds Never Fly Vol. 3 (after an absolute eternity of pre-orders, cancellations, re-orders via Amazon. Because it used to be possible to buy DMP from Amazon, just like any other manga publisher and not incur vast shipping costs).

Back