The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Blu-ray players have a lifespan. The more you use them, the quicker the laser wears out. I’m on my third player because of that. First i got the occasional No Read error, fixed by ejecting and reinserting the disc. Then it would happen more often, then the player stopped reading dual layer discs altogether, then all Blu-rays. That’s when to buy a new player, or get the drive replaced if it’s a decent unit.

Edit: if you’re watching about two or three hours a day, BD, DVD, or whatever, then about six years life sounds right.

Hm, are the Broadchurch dual layer? Perhaps that's why. (How do you even know it's dual layer?)

Then over to next question: Anybody know some good external BD drive they can heartily recommend? Aside of properly functioning my only would-be-nice requirements would be that it's rather quiet and lasts a couple of years.

Hm, are the Broadchurch dual layer? Perhaps that's why. (How do you even know it's dual layer?)

Then over to next question: Anybody know some good external BD drive they can heartily recommend? Aside of properly functioning my only would-be-nice requirements would be that it's rather quiet and lasts a couple of years.
At the inner hub of a BD disc on the shiny side, there is a circular barcode. Dual layer discs have two concentric barcodes, single have just one. Or you can just check how much data there is in Windows Explorer. less than 25 GB is probably single.

I’ve had an ASUS SBC-O6D2X-U for just over a year, and it’s still fine, although I use it for screen grabbing mostly.

Oh, indeed, it is dual layer. So probably case solved.
(If it would just let me get through three discs before a new one arrives, I need to take some screenshots, damn.)

Thanks for the rec, I'll check it out.

Was thinking of getting myself an early birthday present that would come late (so must be bored) and remembered about this.
Other than the contents (all episodes and the films) do we know anything about the technical details? It's still gonna be 4:3 obviously but do we know if its a crappy upscale of what's currently on Amazon Prime?

Was thinking of getting myself an early birthday present that would come late (so must be bored) and remembered about this.
Other than the contents (all episodes and the films) do we know anything about the technical details? It's still gonna be 4:3 obviously but do we know if its a crappy upscale of what's currently on Amazon Prime?
Haven't seen that upscale on prime, but if it's 4:3 bluray than I imagine it's going to look a lot like FLCL. They never upscaled that for widescreen and it still looks pretty good

Does anyone know if the dubbed version of season 1 of free is available to buy anywhere please?

Alternatively, is this possibly available on Funimation Now per chance? As I already have 3 on there on my want list so a 4th would help seduce me into subscribing more lol.

Does anyone know if the dubbed version of season 1 of free is available to buy anywhere please?

Alternatively, is this possibly available on Funimation Now per chance? As I already have 3 on there on my want list so a 4th would help seduce me into subscribing more lol.

Not in the UK, but you can get Season 1 dubbed from the US. The dub should also be on Crunchyroll and Funi Now.

Question about DHL Express: How many times do they try to deliver a package?

A package was coming today from Amazon. I had somebody posted at home who says nobody rang. I got a paper saying that they failed to deliver because of nobody being present.
I can now choose what to do with the package like having them deliver it again or send it to a service point and I go fetch it.
(That service point however is somewhat remote.)

However, if they only try it twice and screw the second one up again, do they try a third time or does the package go back directly, in which case I should just swallow the pill of fetching it?

It's supposed to be a proper HD remaster.

Is heavy object worth bothering with? Ended up watching episode 1 and with a guy having a break down about potentially copping a feel whilst someone else is quite literally dying I don’t know if I can be bothered to continue. On the bright side I noticed more simuldubs are up so I can just turn my attention to them for a bit.

So I'm in the process of buying a PE from UP1 USA and their postage options and there's first class, first class signed (+$1.30) and special delivery. It states that the minimum cost is $12.68 but the final cost depends on how many items are being sent. Considering I'm only ordering one item is this the best option to choose? And would the postage cost change?

Any help would be appreciated on this. Thanks.

I selected the cheapest option for the Gundam Wing UCE last year they still sent it UPS. Though it did get sent with a few AoA sets in the end as I wanted to buy in one go

They're definitely customs friendly correct? I might just choose the first class option since it has a confirmed price alongside it.

Back