The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Kill la Kill is a very good show. But it also was one that I really didn't manage to like much at all. Main Character 1 is a delinquent sort of character, which usually score low. Main Character 2 is a total moron, not my cup either. Main Character 3 is a stubborn stuck up, who m you already know she's getting mellowed down some way or another. And, it's well, a good amount of nudity. Even if it's playful, it's still pretty revealing...

Kiznaiver has a really good start, but then it gets rushed, then it drowns in the Okada-drama and then it gets towards its obligatory cheese part which fortunately at least wasn't quite as cheesy as I feared it would be. It's definitely not perfect, but it had themes that just resonated with me so much more, so it made up for it. The masculine part was also there, the red haired one who looks like your typical Gainax-Trigger macho and then turns out to a dorky side by fearing dogs (I totally expected some character arc on that, but no space and as it is, that character showcase is haing in open air without much meaning) and then he's a very normal guy with some issues, but still trying hard some way or another. The black hairdes guy who came later also came up with some rather maculine jokes, but those were so much in overdose you can almost take it as an parody on itself, if you didn't like it all that much.

I'm looking forward to Franxx nonetheless, doesn't look too terribly GAR or just overboard overdoing things like FLCL, but from whatever snippets I caught on, it seems to be impoding on itself quite similiarly or even worse than Kiznaiver as in having a great meticulous set up that doesn't really get used.
Not to spoil it, but Franxx looks a bit like lagann took itself a little more seriously and had more developed female characters other than yoko. The kids are essentially all main characters and have their moments, but hiro starts as a shinji clone

I have the Korean sets but the dub is Dolby Digital. Crap, now I'm thinking of buying the UK release just for the lossless dub :rolleyes:
Well, the whole point of importing the Korean GitS releases was for lossless Japanese audio with English subtitles. It was the first Blu-ray release of the series to get English subtitles, that was why it was such a big deal when it came out. Even the Japanese Blu-ray releases are dub-only. English tracks on Japanese and other Asian releases are a secondary track and so are often lossy, just as it is the reverse for many western anime releases. Because I'm a strict sub-only viewer, one of the main reasons I import as much anime as I can from Japan and Korea is specifically for Japanese HD audio paired with English subtitles; the quality of any English dub that happens to be included is not really a concern to me, as I wouldn't use it anyway.

Well, the whole point of importing the Korean GitS releases was for lossless Japanese audio with English subtitles. It was the first Blu-ray release of the series to get English subtitles, that was why it was such a big deal when it came out. Even the Japanese Blu-ray releases are dub-only. English tracks on Japanese and other Asian releases are a secondary track and so are often lossy, just as it is the reverse for many western anime releases. Because I'm a strict sub-only viewer, one of the main reasons I import as much anime as I can from Japan and Korea is specifically for Japanese HD audio paired with English subtitles; the quality of any English dub that happens to be included is not really a concern to me, as I wouldn't use it anyway.
I watch anime with subs or dubs, depends what mood I'm in. I bought the Korean sets because they were the best/most affordable at the time and probably still are :)

Ok - I just mainly wanted to point out that you should expect lossy English audio on any Asian imports that include a dub.

Even though I despise dubs myself, I do use them when I am showing anime to friends who have an aversion (or an affliction) to reading subtitles. Makes me mad they are so lacking in proper reading skills, but hey, what can you do...?!? :p

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff
Ok - I just mainly wanted to point out that you should expect lossy English audio on any Asian imports that include a dub.

Even though I despise dubs myself, I do use them, but only when I am showing anime to friends who have an aversion (or an affliction) to reading subtitles. Makes me mad they are so lacking in proper reading skills, but what can you do...? :p
Accept their preference instead of harbouring a bitter sense of elitism?

Not to spoil it, but Franxx looks a bit like lagann took itself a little more seriously and had more developed female characters other than yoko. The kids are essentially all main characters and have their moments, but hiro starts as a shinji clone
Oh. A Shinji one? I had the impression of a Shu one from Guilty Crown. (As in, was once a pretty normal decent cheerful one and turned out all emo due to whatever. Shinji was socially weak and somewhat emo almost all the time.)

Oh. A Shinji one? I had the impression of a Shu one from Guilty Crown. (As in, was once a pretty normal decent cheerful one and turned out all emo due to whatever. Shinji was socially weak and somewhat emo almost all the time.)
well, it's in the setting early on, girl/boy pairs pilot the franxx/mecha but for some reason hiro can't properly pilot with anyone at the start of the series, he's quite emo for that

If I still played games, I would be like you - I've done all my gaming over the past 30 years on PC-only - never have I once used a Console for gaming, unless you count going way back in time to the original Atari Pong console my brother had when I was in high school, back in the 1970's...