The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Haven't seen that yet (it's on my list after watching APFTTU). I would say it has inspirational tones and isn't massively crazy, but it is very colourful and some of the characters are outlandish. And they go to Antarctica so they're not stuck at school like most SOL. And there are some great gags including some visual ones both foreground and background.

I'm in for some recommendations. Being in need of something.... colorful, vibrant, lively and a bit boisterous.
Not necessarily well animated per se, but well directed and well made character designs and backgrounds and a decent chunk of visual comedy.
Also something that's kind of self conscious and witty about what it is.
Think of No Game No life and the Monogatari Franchise. Anything else out there I haven't watched yet?
↑ That's Gurren Lagann, that is.

I'm in for some recommendations. Being in need of something.... colorful, vibrant, lively and a bit boisterous.
Not necessarily well animated per se, but well directed and well made character designs and backgrounds and a decent chunk of visual comedy.
Also something that's kind of self conscious and witty about what it is.
Think of No Game No life and the Monogatari Franchise. Anything else out there I haven't watched yet?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Already watched Gurren Lagann, the first season of the new and the OVAs of the old Jojo. They vertainly fit the bill as I asked, but both also have very high GAR levels.... basically they are very "macho". Don't know why, but that doesn't seem to be very interesting to me. (NGNL ist more about doing a lot of bluff stunts while the cast is pretty pathethic in contrast, so it's not just Rule of Cool all the time. Arararagi does the same.)
Did Jojo change in the parts I saw in that respect?

Love Lab.... I finished it in 2014 and it didn't leave much of an impression to me. The pure Cute Girls comedy-SoL stuff rarely makes a huge impact, unless they are really really well made.

very high GAR levels.... basically they are very "macho".
Gurren Lagann is GAR?!? :eek:

c35a90d6f4988c007d791be0df3e33878b746c64_hq.gif

:p

I don't know if it's because I missed watching the show at the right age, but somehow I can see it's good and understand its charms in theory, but they totally freeze to death right before my feet. =/

I don't know if it's because I missed watching the show at the right age, but somehow I can see it's good and understand its charms in theory, but they totally freeze to death right before my feet. =/
after looking up GAR (I'm old or something, I don't know the lingo of you "radical" children) I really do get why you would say it. I would say you must not like trigger, some of the guys in trigger now unquestionably worked on Lagann and quite a bit of their works have themes of growing up, or some sort of sexual awakening. lagann, however, does have quite a lot of masculinity put at the forefront, kamino does not question his masculinity, he uses it to overshadow everyone else's self esteem. quite literally making himself, in his own mind, the greatest bada** in the room, simone, however, is still young but seems to want to grow to be at least half as macho as kamino, so much so that when it seems like kamino and yoko have a thing, he's quite crushed

Could anyone who has the UK GitS SAC Deluxe tell me what the sound is for the dub and sub? Are they Dolby digital or trueHD/DTS master?
Thanks.

They don't come more macho than this...
That is not macho, that's just plain emo.... (No much my cup either.)

after looking up GAR (I'm old or something, I don't know the lingo of you "radical" children) I really do get why you would say it. I would say you must not like trigger, some of the guys in trigger now unquestionably worked on Lagann and quite a bit of their works have themes of growing up, or some sort of sexual awakening. lagann, however, does have quite a lot of masculinity put at the forefront, kamino does not question his masculinity, he uses it to overshadow everyone else's self esteem. quite literally making himself, in his own mind, the greatest bada** in the room, simone, however, is still young but seems to want to grow to be at least half as macho as kamino, so much so that when it seems like kamino and yoko have a thing, he's quite crushed
I only know the word GAR after looking it up because of MAL Graph's archievement trophies. (Too bad MAL is still half down, so MalGraph isn't working either, so I can't just link my profile.)
But they look like this: anime-plus/graph
I've been stuck with the lollipop for the longest time there.

And yes-no about Gainax (before everybody left) and Trigger. They like doing things on rule of cool or fast paced dynamics on overdose, but they can do diffrent, too. There is a bunch of naturalistic looking stuff which is georgeos to look (but is unfortunately mostly stuck in the 80s aesthethic which I don't seem to like. Though I liked it a lot in NGE, except that the emo parts weren't too compelling.) And then there was Kiznaiver. And I really liked Kiznaiver (except for the Okada-Teenie-Scream_It_All_Out-Drama pieces, but that's less Trigger than simply Okada as usual.) Which to a great degree is still undeniably having the Trigger overdose, but spread out in smaller, but low-key portions (which highlight them to me even more) in a otherwise diffrent context and aesthethic (on first sight I had rather attributed the show towards shaft actually). I think I like it like that really much. (NGNL sorts of falls into that categoriy, too.)

And now that you actually name it... I think I really don't like those sexual awakening themed things much at all, either. At least not if it's one of the main dishes.
(Though I like the Femme Fatale sort of aethethic, when something is under sexual electricity. But probably more because of the mind games overlay.)

.... I guess, it is kind of hard to love something then its very core concepts mostly don't really resonate with onself...

Last edited:
That is not macho, that's just plain emo.... (No much my cup either.)

I only know the word GAR after looking it up because of MAL Graph's archievement trophies. (Too bad MAL is still half down, so MalGraph isn't working either, so I can't just link my profile.)
But they look like this: anime-plus/graph
I've been stuck with the lollipop for the longest time there.

And yes-no about Gainax (before everybody left) and Trigger. They like doing things on rule of cool or fast paced dynamics on overdose, but they can do diffrent, too. There is a bunch of naturalistic looking stuff which is georgeos to look (but is unfortunately mostly stuck in the 80s aesthethic which I don't seem to like. Though I liked it a lot in NGE, except that the emo parts weren't too compelling.) And then there was Kiznaiver. And I really liked Kiznaiver (except for the Okada-Teenie-Scream_It_All_Out-Drama pieces, but that's less Trigger than simply Okada as usual.) Which to a great degree is still undeniably having the Trigger overdose, but spread out in smaller, but low-key portions (which highlight them to me even more) in a otherwise diffrent context and aesthethic (on first sight I had rather attributed the show towards shaft actually). I think I like it like that really much. (NGNL sorts of falls into that categoriy, too.)

And now that you actually name it... I think I really don't like those sexual awakening themed things much at all, either. At least not if it's one of the main dishes.
(Though I like the Femme Fatale sort of aethethic, when something is under sexual electricity. But probably more because of the mind games overlay.)

.... I guess, it is kind of hard to love something then its very core concepts mostly don't really resonate with onself...
Totally agree with the core concept thing, but I'm a bit opposite on what I like, when I mention sexual awakening I think of one of the more obvious examples, kill la kill, where awkwardly revealing costumes are much more powerful than seemingly normal clothes or the "overpowered" fully armoured look, another example could be Franxx, it would go into a few spoilers if I went into how it fit that theme, but I like those, I didn't much like Kiznaiver, it seemed quite slow with most of the relationships, but I would say that is one of the outliers for trigger of trying to give the characters emotional maturity. I'd probably get jumped on for this, but it's the way I describe it - "feminising" the characters - the "boys do cry" and the feelings vs logic kind of thing - I don't think Kiznaiver goes quite that far, just shows them that they must share some things emotionally or risk damaging their relationships, there isn't very much machismo in it as the characters who would seem the most masculine have their fears and secrets shown early on, they would all feel the same embarrassment so it would be easier to share than to force everyone else to feel the same way through the system

Totally agree with the core concept thing, but I'm a bit opposite on what I like, when I mention sexual awakening I think of one of the more obvious examples, kill la kill, where awkwardly revealing costumes are much more powerful than seemingly normal clothes or the "overpowered" fully armoured look, another example could be Franxx, it would go into a few spoilers if I went into how it fit that theme, but I like those, I didn't much like Kiznaiver, it seemed quite slow with most of the relationships, but I would say that is one of the outliers for trigger of trying to give the characters emotional maturity. I'd probably get jumped on for this, but it's the way I describe it - "feminising" the characters - the "boys do cry" and the feelings vs logic kind of thing - I don't think Kiznaiver goes quite that far, just shows them that they must share some things emotionally or risk damaging their relationships, there isn't very much machismo in it as the characters who would seem the most masculine have their fears and secrets shown early on, they would all feel the same embarrassment so it would be easier to share than to force everyone else to feel the same way through the system
Kill la Kill is a very good show. But it also was one that I really didn't manage to like much at all. Main Character 1 is a delinquent sort of character, which usually score low. Main Character 2 is a total moron, not my cup either. Main Character 3 is a stubborn stuck up, who m you already know she's getting mellowed down some way or another. And, it's well, a good amount of nudity. Even if it's playful, it's still pretty revealing...

Kiznaiver has a really good start, but then it gets rushed, then it drowns in the Okada-drama and then it gets towards its obligatory cheese part which fortunately at least wasn't quite as cheesy as I feared it would be. It's definitely not perfect, but it had themes that just resonated with me so much more, so it made up for it. The masculine part was also there, the red haired one who looks like your typical Gainax-Trigger macho and then turns out to a dorky side by fearing dogs (I totally expected some character arc on that, but no space and as it is, that character showcase is haing in open air without much meaning) and then he's a very normal guy with some issues, but still trying hard some way or another. The black hairdes guy who came later also came up with some rather maculine jokes, but those were so much in overdose you can almost take it as an parody on itself, if you didn't like it all that much.

I'm looking forward to Franxx nonetheless, doesn't look too terribly GAR or just overboard overdoing things like FLCL, but from whatever snippets I caught on, it seems to be impoding on itself quite similiarly or even worse than Kiznaiver as in having a great meticulous set up that doesn't really get used.

Kill la Kill is a very good show. But it also was one that I really didn't manage to like much at all. Main Character 1 is a delinquent sort of character, which usually score low. Main Character 2 is a total moron, not my cup either. Main Character 3 is a stubborn stuck up, who m you already know she's getting mellowed down some way or another. And, it's well, a good amount of nudity. Even if it's playful, it's still pretty revealing...

Kiznaiver has a really good start, but then it gets rushed, then it drowns in the Okada-drama and then it gets towards its obligatory cheese part which fortunately at least wasn't quite as cheesy as I feared it would be. It's definitely not perfect, but it had themes that just resonated with me so much more, so it made up for it. The masculine part was also there, the red haired one who looks like your typical Gainax-Trigger macho and then turns out to a dorky side by fearing dogs (I totally expected some character arc on that, but no space and as it is, that character showcase is haing in open air without much meaning) and then he's a very normal guy with some issues, but still trying hard some way or another. The black hairdes guy who came later also came up with some rather maculine jokes, but those were so much in overdose you can almost take it as an parody on itself, if you didn't like it all that much.

I'm looking forward to Franxx nonetheless, doesn't look too terribly GAR or just overboard overdoing things like FLCL, but from whatever snippets I caught on, it seems to be impoding on itself quite similiarly or even worse than Kiznaiver as in having a great meticulous set up that doesn't really get used.
Not to spoil it, but Franxx looks a bit like lagann took itself a little more seriously and had more developed female characters other than yoko. The kids are essentially all main characters and have their moments, but hiro starts as a shinji clone

I have the Korean sets but the dub is Dolby Digital. Crap, now I'm thinking of buying the UK release just for the lossless dub :rolleyes:

Well, the whole point of importing the Korean GitS releases was for lossless Japanese audio with English subtitles. It was the first Blu-ray release of the series to get English subtitles, that was why it was such a big deal when it came out. Even the Japanese Blu-ray releases are dub-only. English tracks on Japanese and other Asian releases are a secondary track and so are often lossy, just as it is the reverse for many western anime releases. Because I'm a strict sub-only viewer, one of the main reasons I import as much anime as I can from Japan and Korea is specifically for Japanese HD audio paired with English subtitles; the quality of any English dub that happens to be included is not really a concern to me, as I wouldn't use it anyway.

Well, the whole point of importing the Korean GitS releases was for lossless Japanese audio with English subtitles. It was the first Blu-ray release of the series to get English subtitles, that was why it was such a big deal when it came out. Even the Japanese Blu-ray releases are dub-only. English tracks on Japanese and other Asian releases are a secondary track and so are often lossy, just as it is the reverse for many western anime releases. Because I'm a strict sub-only viewer, one of the main reasons I import as much anime as I can from Japan and Korea is specifically for Japanese HD audio paired with English subtitles; the quality of any English dub that happens to be included is not really a concern to me, as I wouldn't use it anyway.
I watch anime with subs or dubs, depends what mood I'm in. I bought the Korean sets because they were the best/most affordable at the time and probably still are :)

Ok - I just mainly wanted to point out that you should expect lossy English audio on any Asian imports that include a dub.

Even though I despise dubs myself, I do use them when I am showing anime to friends who have an aversion (or an affliction) to reading subtitles. Makes me mad they are so lacking in proper reading skills, but hey, what can you do...?!? :p

Back