The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Did anybody ever have playing issues with Anime Works' "Strawberry Panic"?
Neither the DVD nor BD reader of my PC would recognize the disc. Sometimes Windows manages to recorgnize the disc, but then the video players (VLC, Leawo) won't. Mostly not even Windows manages. I bought this release new & shrinwrapped. No scratches and no sign of disc rot. It just won't play. I tested out some other releases too (Funi RC1 releases), those play just fine.
I tested the discs up to the third of the five discs.

I presume the DVD discs are burn on demand? If so, then that's likely the cause.

I presume the DVD discs are burn on demand? If so, then that's likely the cause.
I didn't know Anime Works had burn on demand releases. But even so, why would burn on demand discs not play on anything? That seems like kind of a major design flaw right there.

I didn't know Anime Works had burn on demand releases. But even so, why would burn on demand discs not play on anything? That seems like kind of a major design flaw right there.
Ever since Media Blasters resurrected themselves every single DVD release including their Hentai label and their reprints of older titles have been burn on demand. The Blu-ray titles aren't but even they suffer from some pretty cheap setups like MPEG-2 audio.

I seem to be able to access DVD (1 at least, have yet to try the others) via Windows Explorer, when the drive doesn't give up on reading. Looks like a bunch of VOB files, which look like they are playable.
But reading or trying to read the discs sure causes a serious amount of noise in the drive.
There is no danger of it frying the drive is there...?

This is the one I have:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Strawberry-Panic-DVD-Complete-Series-S-Classic-Collection
I suppose it is a reprint if it's in a classics' line.

I seem to be able to access DVD (1 at least, have yet to try the others) via Windows Explorer, when the drive doesn't give up on reading. Looks like a bunch of VOB files, which look like they are playable.
But reading or trying to read the discs sure causes a serious amount of noise in the drive.
There is no danger of it frying the drive is there...?

This is the one I have:
Strawberry Panic Complete Series DVD Classic Collection
I suppose it is a reprint if it's in a classics' line.
Try contact the place were you bought it and ask for a replacement or refund for faulty product.

I always thought that PC was likelier to be able to read than players. (Ad you can access the datafiles instead of being dependant on the players.) One more thing learned, I guess.

That might be a bit complicated after more than a year. ^^" (And shipping/customs was as expensive as the DVD...)
Yeah that might be a bit of an issue ha ha.

If you ask them if there was a fix for replacement available maybe they can help you that way even though it might be a long shot?

I'm in for some recommendations. Being in need of something.... colorful, vibrant, lively and a bit boisterous.
Not necessarily well animated per se, but well directed and well made character designs and backgrounds and a decent chunk of visual comedy.
Also something that's kind of self conscious and witty about what it is.
Think of No Game No life and the Monogatari Franchise. Anything else out there I haven't watched yet?

I'm in for some recommendations. Being in need of something.... colorful, vibrant, lively and a bit boisterous.
Not necessarily well animated per se, but well directed and well made character designs and backgrounds and a decent chunk of visual comedy.
Also something that's kind of self conscious and witty about what it is.
Think of No Game No life and the Monogatari Franchise. Anything else out there I haven't watched yet?

I've just finished watching Lupin III Part IV for review, and I can certainly recommend that! It hits all the points in your wishlist.

That's that Lupin release that just about came out from AL is it?
Ah damn. I've bought it, but I won't get my hands on it it until at least a month away, same like the next NGNL LN volume. x.x"
Anything else to possibly bridge over that one month...?

No Game No life
Are you signed up to Crunchyroll? Or keep up with seasonal stuff? A Place Further Than the Universe is by the same director and writer team, but original rather than adaptation and seems to fit your description. I've got codes if you need one.

Are you signed up to Crunchyroll? Or keep up with seasonal stuff? A Place Further Than the Universe is by the same director and writer team, but original rather than adaptation and seems to fit your description. I've got codes if you need one.
Signed up yes, though not on subscription. (I swore to myself to not get one unless my physical to watch pile gets a bit more weeded out.) I don't really keep up with seasonal stuff as I mostly wait for BD releases by now. (With all those half finished things going onto simulcasting and never being fixed.) Except something got me really hooked onto it for some reason even before the release. So I haven't watched all that much from newer than around 2015 yet.

I've had a Place further Than the Universe (along with Prince of Stride) on my radar already, with Atsuko Ishizuka's name attached to it, but it fits all points? It seemed more like a grounded SoL motivational kind of thing and not so totally... potty? crazy? insane? and colorfully flashy like NGNL. is that impression misjudging it completely?

Back