The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

@Luna
The Samurai list is not mine, I guess the guy has his watchlist set to private. I didn't even have an account, it was just the top result of a search I did.

I've made an account just to play around a bit and it seems you can track stuff by the watchlist as stuff you want to watch (according to the FAQ IMDb | Help) and then use the ratings for stuff you have watched and finally create a list for what ever theme you want. All if these can be made public or private. I made a quick list for each, the rated films don't get automatically removed from the watchlist though it seems, I had to do it manually.
Ditchdigger1977's Watchlist
Ditchdigger1977's Ratings - IMDb
Japanese Historical Films - IMDb

Last edited:
IMDB puzzles the hell out of me, either I'm too stupid (or spoiled by MAL), or it really or the ergonomics really aren't quite up to my requirements... @_@

At any rate, since I'm up at feeding up my ptw. Can anybody tell me, what (presumably US ) show this was, of which I have seen some chunks of one single random episode on TV years ago?
It started of with a prologue summing up the premise of the show. Some 11 or so people where for some reason in a space rocket/shuttle/whatever and witnessed earth getting blown up. Some mysterious light (god?) shows up and brings them back in time. Probably to have them prevent the destruction of earth.
Back to the timeline of where this episode is set in, which appears to be somewhat advanced, one guy of the 11 has just lost his wife, who, appearantly, got killed by some mob or something. He's depressed and bitter and saving earth also appears pointless to him. Nothing in for him anymore, so why bother. There is a second guy, who tries to get him out of the depression. He doesn't really manage. It's summer and very hot and that doesn't help the general mood. Some cult or something emmerges and brainwashes the depressed guy into joining. Guy 2 kind of hears from it and is very suspicios. He wants to got and get the depressed guy back. His son (?) comes along, but since the cult village or so is a bit away, they need to go by car. Guy 2 insists his son to take a shower. He shots back that there is water shortage due to the heat and the goverment has requested people to save water as much as possible. Guy 2 makes it most clear, he won't suffer at his stink for the next 2-3 hours in the car.
They arrive in the village and... some stuff happens. (The part I didn't watch.)
Guy two and his son get caught, restrained, I think also handcuffed. They are in a dangerous situation, the cult folks are clearly out of their mind and I think they wanted to kill them. One of them manipulates the depressed guy into something while guy 2 also tried to get him back to proper mind. He improvisates and spills out some random sermon-ish rubbish, which however kind of convinced the depressed guy back to reality. Back in sound mind he frees the two and they are up against that cult village. Guy 2 expresses his relief with some verbals jabs. The (now formerly) depressed guy hits back with that it certainly wasn't his capabilities of being a priest/doing sermons that got him back to reality.
Then they start doing stuff again, which I again, didn't watch.

Well, given I still remember just these couple of scenes as vividly as I do after all these years, I gather this show might not actually be that bad. Any idea which one it is?

Oh, I see. I do know Poirot to be a detective (I even watched that one childisch Anime adaptation...) But didn't see how Poirot had anything to do with a Sci-Fi story. Didn't know Wikipedia had such a handy list either.

So, has anyone else had a crazy long wall in front of them trying to finish an anine series?

I’ve been going cinema for anime films and watching them on dvd easily but I just cant switch off and finish a series regardless of genre. Hoping my AL mystery box and clearing out to watch items I just wont, help me.

So, has anyone else had a crazy long wall in front of them trying to finish an anine series?
Yeah I get it all the time. When I first started watching anime I used to watch a Minimum of one disk per night and it took me about two or three days to finish a series depending on the episode count, But these days I rarely finish a series without a lengthy break and even then I have to force my self to finish it.

Wee and behold my 45 entries long watching list. Some of which have been last updated three years ago. Or my on hold list nearing the 400 mark...

Yeah I get it all the time. When I first started watching anime I used to watch a Minimum of one disk per night and it took me about two or three days to finish a series depending on the episode count, But these days I rarely finish a series without a lengthy break and even then I have to force my self to finish it.
From how this sounds, you obviously aren't floored by it. Why not just drop it? Until you get some appetite for it again.

Aside that, I've got another movie title question of which I only remember several character scenes:
There is some scientist, he's kind of captured by a man by means of some documents or something. He really doesn't want to work for him, but can't do anything about it, as he is blackmailed with these documents. Meanwhile he's invented some little contraption that makes people feel really unconfortable by emitting some kind of frequency (waves?). The bad guy has a wife, who is also against him. There is some emotional turmoil stuff or so going on, but she finally decides to stop him. (From whatever he was doing again.) At some point those two collaborate to do stuff to get the bad guy down somehow (no idea how) and the payment for cooperation from the wife is, that she gives the scientist access to the documents by simply knowing her husband's passwords. After all things done, she enters it, the scientist can proceed to delete the hostage documents and does some exclamation over just how many years he was after these documents and now it's all seems so easy. He sitll has to get out of the building? Country? Anyway, there is a guardpost, who should have his face on some warnings list. That's where he secretly uses the contraption to make the poor guardpost feel really ill (and I think he vomited later), so that he doesn't pay too close attention to the papers he was given. The man successfully manages to get outside.

Anybody an idea, what this is?

I’ve been going cinema for anime films and watching them on dvd easily but I just cant switch off and finish a series regardless of genre. Hoping my AL mystery box and clearing out to watch items I just wont, help me.

Sometimes it's no bad thing. I usually watch anime in blocks of just a couple of episodes per sitting. I might be watching two or three shows at any given time, though. It depends on how much free time I have, and how enthusiastic I might be for a particular show.

Sometimes, this gives me a better opportunity to really take in a show that I'm enjoying. I feel like spreading a 26 episode series over a couple of weeks or more is about right. And with shorter shows, say 12 episodes as we're seeing become more commonplace, I can get done with them inside a week.

It's rare that I'll find a show I want to dump myself down in front of and marathon the whole thing. I think the last time I did that was with Gundam OO season 2. And that was aaaaaages ago.

(Funny story - that ended with me switching off the DVD player at 6:30 in the morning, just as my old man was coming into the front room. He asked 'Have you been watching anime all night?!' To which I replied 'Gundams are awesome. I'm going to bed now. Probably to die.')

I used to watch an anime every night from when I could chill to bedtime until it was over. So it feels weird it’s been so long.

I did manage to pillage a lot of my hero academia but I was down south not at home and it was a needed lazy day so I think thats whats made it easier there compared to here at home.

I want to lose my wall and binge an anime and alternate it with some live action series.

Doesn't that sound more like an attention span issue?
Films have 90-120 minutes, Anime episodes 20. The suspension curves are paced in accordance to that either. For year's I've had issues with movie length (or even the 45min drama length), because I got poled on the anime 20 minutes too much. After forcing my way through marathoning a whole bunch movies, I'm currently quite poled onto the movie length.

Doesn't that sound more like an attention span issue?
Films have 90-120 minutes, Anime episodes 20. The suspension curves are paced in accordance to that either. For year's I've had issues with movie length (or even the 45min drama length), because I got poled on the anime 20 minutes too much. After forcing my way through marathoning a whole bunch movies, I'm currently quite poled onto the movie length.

My biggest issue is I can never bring myself to rewatch a film. If its a film that interests me I can always get myself to eventually watch it, but the chances I'll rewatch it again in the next 3-5 years is generally silm to none (this is why I don't own YN, or ASV since I saw them in cinema and have no desire to rewatch)

An interesting topic. I don't so much struggle to finish an anime as I do starting one. Sometimes I'll find it difficult to jump into a new series, and when that happens I often take a break from anime (I rewatched Avatar the Last Airbender recently because of this) or just rewatch something I enjoy. At the moment I'm revisiting Naruto Shippuden for said reason.

As for rewatching films there are a few I enjoy revisiting but I can't say I rewatch every film I buy, which is why I don't tend to buy when they're newly released, but when they're cheaper, on offer or are a LE that'll be out of print if I hesitate too long (I.e most of my Arrow Video sets)

Back