Christmas Traditions (split from Anime Limited thread)

I agree the sketches get pretty off-putting, though his recent Christmas episodes were great. Channel Awesome were also a big part of my teenage years and even now I'm still tuning in to the reviewers that are still around (i.e Todd in the Shadows, Brad/Cinema Snob)
Muppets Christmas Carol is another staple, Michael Caine is a real gem.

No to digress too much in a topic that was already separated for digressing, but the fall of Blip essentially rendered CA's site obsolete to me. I'm already a big YouTube user, so when they all moved to there instead, I just subbed to the ones I wanted to watch still (Todd, Phelous, Mike J, Film Brain, Guru Larry) and cut out the middleman. There are even channels such as Rocked where I found them on YouTube then learned they were on Channel Awesome too after the fact.

No to digress too much in a topic that was already separated for digressing, but the fall of Blip essentially rendered CA's site obsolete to me. I'm already a big YouTube user, so when they all moved to there instead, I just subbed to the ones I wanted to watch still (Todd, Phelous, Mike J, Film Brain, Guru Larry) and cut out the middleman. There are even channels such as Rocked where I found them on YouTube then learned they were on Channel Awesome too after the fact.
Yeah I've found myself doing that as well. Most of their videos are on YouTube first anyways.

Like HWR I also watch Gremlins at Christmas. It's quite a "christmassy" film for me. Not just because of the obvious fact that it's set at Christmas but also because when I was 8 years old I got it on VHS as a present on Christmas Day and it was the first movie I ever owned on Video! My mam had rented it several times that year (1988), I guess she figured because I really loved it it was a lot cheaper to buy the movie :) It has a magical sheen to it that has never worn off for me into adulthood. It's one of those films where the whole thing has memorable scenes from beginning to end. I absolutely love practical effects and the animatronics work in that film still looks incredible today. Gizmo, the mogwai and the gremlins are absolutely amazing creations that have stood the test of time. I still have the very same VHS copy, it's that precious of a childhood memory to me.

I don't traditionally watch Die Hard every year but I do really like the movie. I also love the Nightmare Before Christmas and the original animated version of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" narrated by the one and only Boris Karloff. I watch those pretty regularly too.

Muppet Christmas Carol is pretty good too.

Like HWR I also enjoy AVGN. Though I'm not as fond of the nostalgia critic. Bottom and Blackadder are good choices too man. For more christmas TV specials I quite like the Futurama episode with the robot killer santa "Xmas story", any Simpsons Christmas Episode thre''s quite a few), the Invader Zim Christmas episode "The Most Horrible Xmas Ever" and the Beavis and Butthead christmas special.

Last edited:
I always think to myself "I know, I'll watch the Love Hina Christmas Special" but then rarely ever get around to actually doing it.

Will likely rewatch the following things Christmas Day

Haruhi Suzumiya - Remote Island Syndrome
Ouran Highschool - Haruhi in Wonderland
5cm Per Second

Yuletide isn't Yuletide for me without some Poirot
And after posting this I went and marathoned four episodes today. Four two-hour episodes. I am not sure zat was good for my little grey cels.

eBoJOFl.jpg

Ha, I love Poirot, especially at this time of year too.
It's amazing how just showing it over Christmas from '09 - '11 kind of turned it into a tradition. It feels like Poirot was always a part of Christmas when actually, looking at the airdates, it very rarely was.

Can't believe it's been four years already. And no more stories left to film... When are they putting artificial intelligence to good use to build the Agathamatic 5000 to write some new ones?

Mentioned on here before I'm sure but my Christmas Tradition now is to watch 'Tokyo Godfathers' in the evening at normally around 8pm-9pm after the last family visit. Done it since 2014 and have every intention to do it again this year and every year beyond. I adore the film and it always leaves me happy on a day when you want that most if you can get it. Highly recommend it.

Funnily enough I ended up watching Tokyo Godfathers for the first ever time last Christmas, and had absolutely no idea beforehand that it was set during the Christmas period either, so that was a really nice surprise :) (and also kind of ties into the whole theme of coincidences and fate within the film).

Back