Should be on Friday with 3.0 + 1.01. I'm not sure if the dubs will be available then though.
They said it will be available in multiple languages on day one. On the day they announced the release date, Prime Video Twitter account did a little Q&A in the replies and, even though most of their replies were “Follow for further updates to find out”, some info was revealed - like all four movies coming out on the same day (which I think is not ideal as it would be better if they gave us some time to get used to new dub) and the final movie being available in many languages (and I’m pretty sure three other movies will have many languages as well - which is pretty cool for me as I live in Canada and love watching stuff in French sometimes)

What’s weird they didn’t even show us any clips with new English dubs. I expected something on Amazon’s Comic Con From Home panel but they showed zero footage from the movie (but interview with Anno was kind of cool - I think you can find it on YouTube)

I’m not a fan of Funimation dub. Shinji sounds very good, and I like Asuka’s voice. However Misato sounds terrible in my opinion - and that really ruins the dub for me as I really like Misato and want her to sound closer to the original (which is more of a soft, cute voice).
It’s all subjective, of course.

What’s weird they didn’t even show us any clips with new English dubs. I expected something on Amazon’s Comic Con From Home panel but they showed zero footage from the movie (but interview with Anno was kind of cool - I think you can find it on YouTube)

I’m not a fan of Funimation dub. Shinji sounds very good, and I like Asuka’s voice. However Misato sounds terrible in my opinion - and that really ruins the dub for me as I really like Misato and want her to sound closer to the original (which is more of a soft, cute voice).
It’s all subjective, of course.

Misato's English VA is the same across all the versions of NGE except for the Netflix dub (i.e. ADV, Manga FUNi and now Amazon) which changed everyone - for long termers to the series, the Amazon dub is likely the best outcome possible in terms of the English dub.

Regarding this new Prime Video dub, I must say I'm surprised. I had really believed in the possibility that the first three Rebuild films might get redubbed by the Netflix cast — so much so that I pondered the idea that they might have already recorded it during the same sessions as NGE.

But anyway, I wonder whether the dialogue has been re-recorded only for characters who've been recast and then spliced together with the remaining dialogue from the existing Funimation dub to make the new Prime Video dub, or whether they've re-recorded the whole lot from scratch. (God knows the original Funi dub of 3.33 could do with a complete redo in my opinion; I thought it was pretty bad myself.)

I'm definitely intrigued now, though. I'll more than likely check out all four films dubbed on Prime Video if I can.

Last edited:
whether they've re-recorded the whole lot from scratch. (God knows the original Funi dub of 3.33 could do with a complete redo in my opinion; I thought it was pretty bad myself.)
From this it sounds like a full re-record:
One thing to note here in the credits
Project Translation, English ADR Script Translation Supervisor: Dan Kanemitsu

Once again, Dan Kanemitsu has the same role as his in the Netflix production and also Funimation's eventual release of 3.33.
So sounds like the odd translation that the rights owners insisted on for the Netflix dub. 3rd Children instead of 3rd child, etc.
Who was it from the original ADV cast/staff that tweeted about this insistence in relation to the Netflix dub?

So sounds like the odd translation that the rights owners insisted on for the Netflix dub. 3rd Children instead of 3rd child, etc.
Who was it from the original ADV cast/staff that tweeted about this insistence in relation to the Netflix dub?
That was Amanda who said that the script she read for her audition (for the Netflix/VSI dub) bared a striking resemblance to the translation that Gainax sent to ADV.

Last edited:
A comparison chart for those interested. It's actually surprising they chose to bring back the trio from the ADV dub for the main three characters.

EVANGELION CastADV Dub
(TV Series)
Manga Dub
(End of Eva)
Netflix Dub
(TV Series
+ End of Eva)
Funimation Dub
(Rebuild)
Amazon Prime Dub
(Rebuild)
Shinji IkariSpike SpencerSpike SpencerCasey MongilloSpike SpencerSpike Spencer
Rei AyanamiAmanda Winn LeeAmanda Winn LeeRyan BartleyBrina PalenciaAmanda Winn Lee
Asuka Langley ShikinamiTiffany GrantTiffany GrantStephanie McKeonTiffany GrantTiffany Grant
Mari Illustrious Makinami------Trina NishimuraDeneen Melody
Misato KatsuragiAllison KeithAllison KeithCarrie KeranenAllison KeithAllison Keith
Ritsuko AkagiSue UluSue UluErica LindbeckColleen ClinkenbeardMary Faber
Gendo IkariTristan MacAvery
(Main series)
John Swasey
(Director's Cut)
Tristan MacAveryRay ChaseJohn SwaseyJohn Swasey
Ryoji KajiAaron KrohnAaron KrohnGreg ChunJ. Michael TatumSean Burgos
Kaworu NagisaKyle Sturdivant
(Main series)
Greg Ayres
(Director's Cut)
Aaron KrohnClifford ChapinJerry JewellDaman Mills
Oh wow I didn’t know credits for the new versions were already available. I think it’s good that main characters will be voiced by the same people as Funimation dub of previous Rebuild movies.

I know many people didn’t like Netflix dub, however it was the only dub of the original series that I’ve seen and I thought it sounded quite good. What really sucks is that they removed a Fly Me to the Moon (I’ve seen few episodes from old French dub and the songs played there during the credits; I really liked that). Was it really that expensive for Netflix to acquire rights to these songs? I find it difficult to believe tbh. They have enough money to produce tons of shows that get cancelled one year later lol

Has anyone started the movie simulwatch yet? Saturday was supposed to be the first film right?

I am planning to rewatch 3.33 later this week to once again try to figure out what the heck is happening there but I could also rewatch 2.22 since it’s my favorite Rebuild movie. Where do we discuss them? Here? Or is there a special simulwatch thread for that?

My favorite scene from Rebuild of Evangelion movies is the run toward Sahaquiel, which is about 3 minutes of this scene somebody uploaded on YouTube:

The scene where they are running is super duper awesome. It’s such an improvement over the original animation (which was cool too) and the scene where Misato utilizes city structures in order to help Unit-01 to change its direction is a nice addition which fits right in with the world of Evangelion.

Ive been rewatching this scene a lot of times tbh :)

The music is “Destiny” (when they are running) and “Fate” (when they are fighting ) by Shiro Sagisu. Great stuff!

I am planning to rewatch 3.33 later this week to once again try to figure out what the heck is happening there but I could also rewatch 2.22 since it’s my favorite Rebuild movie. Where do we discuss them? Here? Or is there a special simulwatch thread for that?
Just here would be fine, I reckon. I watched 1.11 a couple of days ago and am currently watching 2.22.

I haven't written any posts yet, but I'll write something at some point soon, however trivial. Looking forward to watching 3.33 again as well, as impenetrable as that movie is! 😛

Looking forward to watching 3.33 again as well, as impenetrable as that movie is! 😛

I want to rewatch it too. Have a lot of questions about it, so I'm planning to make a post to ask them.

Right now I'm going through old pages of the forum as some stuff you shared here in the past is quite amazing (like the pamphlets)

Evangelion 3.333 "Next time" end-of-film preview (9 Jan 2021)

Wait-- So 3.333 has a different preview at the end of the movie???

I actually really like that. It looks like they have decided against using Eva Unit-02+08 or whatever the heck it was at the end of 3.33... I really didn't like it - these robots are so different and seeing them stitched together looks rather ridicolous.

Plus, the original preview looked as if it was trying to mimic the Asuka battle with MPEs from EoE, and I really want to see something like that happen in the final movie - just not like that. The final seconds of the preview shared here imply that it's possible (please note that I don't know any actual 3.0+1.0 spoilers related to this so it's purely a speculation on my part). Just a thought of it makes me excited.

Can't wait for Thursday!

I was gonna join this in the established time-frame but I started watching Akira 4k yesterday and I can't drop it because it's mouth-watering in its detail.

But I'll re-watch this before the final movie for sure!

Gonna be cool to re-watch and read people's opinions on these.

View attachment 19918
Love this scene, with the sound effects of the air as the lift exits an enclosed tunnel, the silhouettes & movement of the elevator relative to the Evas in the distance - fantastic.

Such a good scene. I liked it a lot when I watched NGE on Netflix last fall. Later I saw that somebody posted this scene on YouTube with the original audio track and I noticed that the "woosh" sound at the end of the tunnel, for whatever reason, wasn't there.

Unfortunately, I cannot see the episode right now as I don't have subscription to Netflix at the moment. The video on YT was deleted due to copyright violations.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the sound was added during the dub? As cool as it sounds, I would prefer them sticking to the original as closely as possible (which is also why I would prefer Fly Me to the Moon playing during credits)

Pinching one of these quotes from another thread like an Eva magpie... 😋

There is also a thing called Failures of Infinity which was was shown right after that. I still don’t understand what exactly it was... maybe I missed something in the movie where it was explained.
You really didn't, dude! I only wish it was explained in the film. 😅

You mentioned as well that you only saw it for the first time for the other week and watched it for the first time just last week and wish you'd seen it earlier so that you would've had more time to think about it. Well I say Lucky you! I first saw 3.0 back in October 2013, and I've been waiting all these years for answers to the mysteries!

What I think we can ascertain about these "Failures of Infinity" is this: in Rebuild, the Human Instrumentality Project seems to have a slightly different objective. In Neon Genesis Evangelion, the aim was to merge all of humanity into one singular entity. In Rebuild, though, the idea seems to be to replace beings imbued with the Fruit of Knowledge (like humans) with new beings imbued with the Fruit of Life (like the Angels). These would appear to be the things that are littering the landscape of 3.33.

The problem is, though, they're incomplete, because Human Instrumentality, which apparently was attempted at some point during the 14-year timeskip, failed. This is probably related to the puzzling mess involving Lilith, the Mark.06 and the twin Spears of Longinus and Cassius.

One of the most outwardly obvious things about the Failures is that they're missing their heads. I understand that the storyboard collection for 3.0, which is available to buy in Japan, reveals that all of those Eva-sized skulls actually belonged to the Failures. Are they missing their heads because Instrumentality failed? Or are they supposed to be that way? After all, knowledge is contained in the mind, and the head contains the mind, so perhaps this unwanted appendage is sacrificed. Lilith, too, was missing her head in 3.33 before before her demise, and Mark.06 was decapitated by Rei as per her instructions. The Rei clones seen in the honeycomb structure in NERV HQ also were reduced to no more their severed heads.

There's one more connection to draw here, though. Thinking back to 2.22, when the 10th Angel devoured Unit-00, what did it do before taking on a new form? It spat out the Eva's head.

Is all of this perhaps related?

Wait-- So 3.333 has a different preview at the end of the movie???

I actually really like that. It looks like they have decided against using Eva Unit-02+08 or whatever the heck it was at the end of 3.33... I really didn't like it - these robots are so different and seeing them stitched together looks rather ridicolous.
It certainly does! 😁
I haven't seen 3.333, but I know that to be true. There are some other small changes made during the actual film itself, too. Perhaps I can go into a bit more detail with that in another post.

It's perhaps a lesser-known fact, but there was actually also an updated preview made for the end of 2.22 as well. It was first shown at the end of the film when it was broadcast on Nippon TV on 26th August 2011. Here it is:

As for the previewed Unit-08+02, I don't know for sure, because I've been avoiding ALL potential spoilers, but I assume the idea to have been scrapped too. I don't think that the hybrid Eva was ever actually going to be split cleanly down the middle, though; I think that Khara were basically just getting across the idea that they planned to include an Eva that incorporated parts of Unit-02 and Unit-08.

There is still the possibility of something along those lines, though, because—

I need to ask you first, @Unit-99999999: have you seen the opening 10 minutes of 3.0+1.0? It's been officially previewed online twice by Studio Khara themselves, but I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you. 🙂

Last edited:
Back