Human Instrumentality, which apparently was attempted at some point during the 14-year timeskip, failed
Hm... So Human Instrumentality was attempted before? I thought the entire point of SEELE agreeing to be shut down right before the Fourth Impact was so that they could be reunited with other souls during what they believed it to be the beginning of Human Instrumentality Project?

I believe they need an awakened Eva for this thing... During the Second Impact it was ADAM in Antarctic, during the Third Impact it was Unit-01, during the Fourth it was Unit-013... If they experimented with this thing during the 14-year gap then why is there no additional damage to landscape (everything that we see is blamed on Shinji and Third Impact)

I wish they answered these questions in the movie! There is also the fact that the moon is now closer to Earth and has its own athmosphere but it was never explained. They just shown a gigantic object in the air that looks like another planet. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who had to go to Eva Wiki to figure out what it was...

It's perhaps a lesser-known fact, but there was actually also an updated preview made for the end of 2.22 as well
Oh wow! Thats the updated preview for 3.0?! I actually saw it on official Khara YouTube channel - but thought it was a regular TV spot.

Sadly, I don't remember the first shot of Asuka floating in space actually being in the movie. The shot of her removing helmet is super cool, though - expressions and hair are done really, really well.
have you seen the opening 10 minutes of 3.0+1.0?

No, but I saw some of you discussing some elements of it earlier in the thread. Amazon tweeted out a 2-minute preview on their Twitter account some time ago (with original audio and eng subs) - I looked at few seconds of it but decided that there is no point in watching the entire preview now as it's very close to the movie's release.

I do like some trailers and tv spots. the key here is to look at the ones that were published officially by Khara before March 8. I heard that the latest trailer contained a lot of spoilers - which is understandable as it was released closer to the end of its theatrical run and was trying to appeal to those who are curious but havent seen it yet.

By the way, you mentioned before that you got notifications about some sort of Character TV Spots - I saw them and they appear perfectly harmless. It's 15-sec spots where most of the footage is taken from previous movies, kind of reminding of the journey they went though. The one with Misato looks ridiculous - because of the 14 years thing XD

But you can always watch them later.

I did see one video on YT with a spoiler-y title - looks like somebody recorded a scene from theater. Not cool. So, be careful looking for Evangelion things the internet!

I would prefer them sticking to the original as closely as possible (which is also why I would prefer Fly Me to the Moon playing during credits)

The removal of Fly Me to the Moon from the Netflix version was definitely disappointing especially the instrumental version which played during some of the more emotional scenes. Like the example pretty much everyone brings up is the Misato voicemail scene which I have to agree having that scene play in complete silence without any background music completely removed any impact that scene had (at least for myself that is).

I did see one video on YT with a spoiler-y title - looks like somebody recorded a scene from theater. Not cool. So, be careful looking for Evangelion things the internet!
You're right there! Basically the last Eva thing I looked up online was the 12-minute 3.0+1.0 preview on Khara's YouTube channel on the eve of the film's release. I've managed to avoid anything else since.

Oh wow! Thats the updated preview for 3.0?! I actually saw it on official Khara YouTube channel - but thought it was a regular TV spot.

Sadly, I don't remember the first shot of Asuka floating in space actually being in the movie. The shot of her removing helmet is super cool, though - expressions and hair are done really, really well.
Yeah, that first shot is just some very rough CG work, like a demo. The shot of Asuka removing her helmet is actually in the finished film, though.

Hm... So Human Instrumentality was attempted before? I thought the entire point of SEELE agreeing to be shut down right before the Fourth Impact was so that they could be reunited with other souls during what they believed it to be the beginning of Human Instrumentality Project?
Ah, you see, this is where Rebuild seems to differ from the original series. In this version of the story, SEELE appear to have been around for a very long time. Whereas in NGE they're merely represented by those black monoliths during conferences, in Rebuild the monoliths are actually their physical forms.

During Gendō's farewell speech to SEELE in 3.33, he thanks them for gifting culture to humankind. He also makes reference to them having "changed the form" of their souls. (I can't remember how the Blu-ray subtitles phrase it, so I'm just going from my recall of the Japanese dialogue. I do need to rewatch the film, though.)

My take on the whole deal here is that after whatever mess was created with Lilith and the Mark.06, SEELE and Gendō were left at an impasse with each other. SEELE could no longer bring about Instrumentality on their own terms, and Gendō couldn't forward his aim of reuniting with Yui, so they agreed to an uneasy truce: Gendō would bring about Instrumentality on SEELE's behalf, and in turn Gendō would be given the resources he would need to carry that out and would become the one in charge. This is surely why Gendō is now wearing the same kind of visor as SEELE head Keel had in the series.

Gendō wanted rid of the obstruction posed by SEELE, and he got them to agree to their own demise on the grounds that death must come to them as it must come to all others under the terms of Human Instrumentality. He assured them that their desires would be met after their passing.

Except they weren't. Gendō had double-crossed them, having already set up a trap with the twin Spears that would remove SEELE'S watchman Kaworu, and with it the last of their influence — a trap that Shinji walked straight into.

That's my read of the situation. SEELE almost got what they wanted with the aborted Fourth Impact, but Gendō got rid of Kaworu and attained another awakened Eva in Unit-13.

That leads us nicely to...

I believe they need an awakened Eva for this thing... During the Second Impact it was ADAM in Antarctic, during the Third Impact it was Unit-01, during the Fourth it was Unit-013... If they experimented with this thing during the 14-year gap then why is there no additional damage to landscape (everything that we see is blamed on Shinji and Third Impact)
Here's where it gets extra-complicated. 😅
According to the most popular fan theory, Third Impact and Near Third Impact are not the same thing.

The reasoning given for this is that during the scene where Kaworu shows Shinji the state of the world, Kaworu states that it's all the result of Near Third Impact. Then, later in the film, as the duo enter Lilith's chamber, he describes it as "ground zero of Third Impact".

We ourselves saw this Near Third Impact at the end of 2.22, though, and Lilith wasn't involved. The general consensus is that the actual Third Impact occurred at some point during the 14-year timeskip. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that idea myself.

There's actually a page of the Evageeks wiki dedicated to 3.33 FAQs. You may already have seen it, but here's a link:

Like the example pretty much everyone brings up is the Misato voicemail scene which I have to agree having that scene play in complete silence without any background music completely removed any impact that scene had (at least for myself that is).
I didn't know they removed background music from that scene.

Just did a quick search and people say that the instrumental music in those scenes (apparently there was another scene with Kaji where it was playing) was Fly Me to the Moon so i guess Netflix had to remove it because they didnt have rights to use it.

It's hard for me to believe that Netflix couldn't afford them - they make tons of money. And old DVDs featured those songs despite arguably being less profitable.

However, I did see somebody earlier in the thread sharing photos of some sort of Korean fan edition of Evangelion blu ray box set and mentioning that it doesn't feature the song either. I dont know anything about that particular release but it could be that Netflix isnt the only studio that couldn't get Fly Me to the Moon

GKIDS is going to bring NGE on blu ray to North America later this year. Even though I'm not planning to buy it, I am curious to see if their edition will feature all the missing stuff

According to the most popular fan theory, Third Impact and Near Third Impact are not the same thing.
Hm...That's an interesting resource you have provided. I like this theory:

Is it just me, or does something about Kaworu's "truth you desired" speech not add up?

Speculation: The Spear of Cassius merely placed Eva-01 into suspension, as opposed to properly stopping the Impact. As a result, whenever the Spear of Cassius was removed, the Impact might have continued, developing into a full-on Third Impact. The chain of causation would ultimately lead back to Shinji's decision to save Rei from the 10th Angel, leaving him responsible, in his way, for everything that followed.

OK, so the Third Impact has happened... But what was after? The Second Impact ended because the scientists were able to reduce Adam to his embryonic state. I'm guessing there is no answer to this question yet... However it looks like Lilith was decapitated as a result of all of it. Also - what the heck happened to her eyes? Looks disturbing.

What I find interesting is that, as noted by the contributors on that page, Lilith is located on top of the mysterious skulls which implies that they were there before her death. Interesting. It seems to me that the creators have an explanation for all of this. I just hope they will explain it properly in the upcoming movie. Because they did a really terrible job communicating their ideas here - why do we even have to guess what whether or not Near Third Impact and Third Impact are different things? They could have stated it explicitly, in one of Kaworu's lines.

SEELE could no longer bring about Instrumentality on their own terms, and Gendō couldn't forward his aim of reuniting with Yui, so they agreed to an uneasy truce: Gendō would bring about Instrumentality on SEELE's behalf, and in turn Gendō would be given the resources he would need to carry that out and would become the one in charge. This is surely why Gendō is now wearing the same kind of visor as SEELE head Keel had in the series.

Wow I wouldn't have remembered the visor. Nice catch!

But why exactly couldn't SEELE carry it out on their own? Because they didn't have Shinji who was able to reach high sync rates? Although it doesn't appear to have mattered in the awakening of Unit-13. I'm also not exactly sure what resources were given to Gendo as it seems like he has already had everything within Nerv HQ (Shinji + Unit-13 + Spears).

I scrolled through the page and I found answers to many other questions I had about 3.33 - weird pyramid in the air (Neo-Nerv HQ), Black Moon, the thing they were fighting at the beginning of the movie (turns out it was Mark.04 - i thought they were fighting an angel.), however I still have some questions left:

1) When Fourth Impact begins there is a lot of bodies coming out of the Black Moon and flying in the air. We can also hear some sort of scream as they come out which made me believe that these are actual people. However, I've read somewhere that these are supposed to be Failures of Infinity corpses... Kind of confused by that. They were lying on the surface, which means they would have slid off the top of Black Moon with the debris of the buildings... There is a shot that shows coming them out of the inside the Moon... I wonder if there is some sort of possible explanation to this?

Could those bodies be something else? In EoE Lilith used Black Moon to contain human souls for the Instrumentality Project - maybe it's something similar here?

2) Are Angels dead?

I've read on wiki that in the original series, SEELE needed to kill all Angels before proceeding with Human Instrumentality Project. While the essence of the project seems to have changed in the Rebuild movies, it looks like there were no angels present in the third movie. The battle in space was with Mark.04, then we have Mark.09 taking Shinji to Nerv, and in the final scene we get to see an angel inside the corpse of Mark.05 - but it is implied that it was put there artificially. Does it mean Angels do not come to Earth anymore? But why? Could the death of Lilith have something to do with it?

Phew. I feel like I'm finally catching up with you all. This movie is needlessly confusing at times

The thing that stands out most to me watching this film is the sound design. The .movie starts with no music just the sounds of what's happening giving it an eerily grounded feel before carnage ensues. Also at the end of the film the sound design of the geometric angel is second to none. Those screams are legitimately horrifying.

The only thing this film is really doing is updating the way the angels look from the series. No doubt there are other changes but it's the obvious one in a story that doesnt really stray from the original. One issue with the condensed movie format opposed to the series (especially watching the series spaced out in simulwatch style like we did before) is that Shinji comes across less sympathetic to me.

Yes 1.11 has its strengths. The final battle was great. There is also that scene where Nerv is providing electricity and you can see them preparing. If I remember correctly this trek, called “Strategie Yashima”, was playing in the background (check it out on Spotify - good music -
)

That said, I, unfortunately. was a bit bored rewatching the same scenes from the tv series with an updated animation. It’s a good movie but I didn’t like it as much as other two.

One weird thing about 1.11 is that as much they copy from the show, one particular scene was for whatever reason omitted. I personally find it important - do you remember when debris start falling on Shinji and the Unit-01 moves its arm to protect him (despite being disconnected):DB043C23-DC6A-46CB-A4A4-D3AA3470EC45.jpeg

You can rewatch it here, starts at 1:07 -

I just think it’s a cool moment showing that this robot has some sort of connection to Shinji and it seems like the scene does influence Shinji’s decision to stay to some degree.

Although I can see why some people would consider the scene a bit dumb. I mean Eva is disconnected and Shinji isn’t even inside it.

what do you guys think?

P.S. I just watched 2.22 and am planning to write a post about some things I’ve noticed. It may not be ideal that we discuss all three movies simultaneously but I think that with just few days left until 3.0+1.0 the more stuff we discuss here - the better :)

One weird thing about 1.11 is that as much they copy from the show, one particular scene was for whatever reason omitted. I personally find it important - do you remember when debris start falling on Shinji and the Unit-01 moves its arm to protect him (despite being disconnected):
That's an interesting point actually. I wonder what the rationale for removing that was. It's a pretty major piece of foreshadowing in the series. I cant remember if the films go down the same road or not with respect to Shinjis mum and the Eva's.

2) Are Angels dead?

I've read on wiki that in the original series, SEELE needed to kill all Angels before proceeding with Human Instrumentality Project. While the essence of the project seems to have changed in the Rebuild movies, it looks like there were no angels present in the third movie. The battle in space was with Mark.04, then we have Mark.09 taking Shinji to Nerv, and in the final scene we get to see an angel inside the corpse of Mark.05 - but it is implied that it was put there artificially. Does it mean Angels do not come to Earth anymore? But why? Could the death of Lilith have something to do with it?

Phew. I feel like I'm finally catching up with you all. This movie is needlessly confusing at times
There is an Angel present in 3.0 / 3.33 / 3.333 - Kaworu is the final Angel and the "human" container of Adam's soul (whilst Rei is the "human" container of Lillith's soul

I'm about to take a big steaming infodump right in front of y'all. Eww.

The removal of Fly Me to the Moon from the Netflix version was definitely disappointing
i guess Netflix had to remove it because they didnt have rights to use it.

It's hard for me to believe that Netflix couldn't afford them - they make tons of money.
It's worth adding to this that the initial pressing of Funimation's Blu-ray and DVD of 1.11 included trailers for the film that were soundtracked by Hikaru Utada's version of "Fly Me to the Moon", but these were absent from subsequent pressings. There's definitely some kind of rights issue at work there.

But why exactly couldn't SEELE carry it out on their own?
That's honestly a good question. I like to think that them no longer having human bodies in this version accounts for some of that.

Of course, they must've had their allies, just as they did in The End of Evangelion when they ordered a military assault against NERV HQ, and the same thing appears to have happened in this continuity at some point during the 14-year timeskip. Looking at the scenery in 3.33, we see vehicle tracks in the red earth, literal piles of vanquished tanks and armoured vehicles littering Neo-NERV HQ, along with solidified red bakelite (also like in EoE), impact craters in the side of the airborne pyramid structure and a crashed assault aircraft in Lilith's chamber. It appears to all be the aftermath of a conflict on a much bigger scale than the one seen in EoE and perhaps left SEELE with no allies. Who knows how long the conflict went on for.

(Interestingly 3.333 adds an extra detail to the crashed assault craft: the tail apparently sports a NERV logo that's been spraypainted over with the letters "WILLE".)

When Fourth Impact begins there is a lot of bodies coming out of the Black Moon and flying in the air.
Those are indeed the Failures of Infinity. There are elements of Rebuild's Impacts that seem to have been inspired by Gainax's anime FLCL, which was directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki, who is one of Hideaki Anno's co-directors on the Rebuild films, and this Holy Grail-shaped object (which may or may not actually be called the Black Moon) is one of them. It will surely be of key significance in the finale.

There are also many elements (including the airborne pyramid) that are recycled from Anno's 1990 anime series Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. More on that in another post, perhaps.

Are Angels dead?
As of the end of 3.33 they are. During the film itself, though, we see the 12th Angel, and Kaworu has also found himself become a 13th Angel that wasn't supposed to even exist. Somehow, Kaworu's change of status is another element of Gendō's elaborate trap.

What was Gendō's aim with this, though? Well, this YouTube video has some ideas. Its electronic voiceover is in Japanese, but you can enable YouTube's hit-or-miss subtitles to hopefully still get the point across. The video bases its ideas upon a view I've long shared that Unit-01 effectively became the 11th Angel when it awoke at the end of 2.22.

And lastly for this post... (Phew! 😅)

Kaworu is the final Angel and the "human" container of Adam's soul
That's absolutely true of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I'm not sure how that's going to play out in Rebuild, where although Kaworu is certainly identified as being the 1st Angel, there are actually four Adams.

Watch this space, I guess.

Last edited:
Corrected a mistake in my previous post where I left a thought half-finished. I meant to say:
Those are indeed the Failures of Infinity. There are elements of Rebuild's Impacts that seem to have been inspired by Gainax's anime FLCL, which was directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki, who is one of Hideaki Anno's co-directors on the Rebuild films, and this Holy Grail-shaped object (which may or may not actually be called the Black Moon) is one of them. It will surely be of key significance in the finale.

But Kaworu was sent by SEELE which I’m guessing implies that he was created in that lab on the moon. Angel inside of Mark.06 seems to have been placed there artificially in order to awaken Unit-13.
That’s very different from the first 10 angels that were coming from the outer space.

EDIT: There is a another mystery about Kaworu I don’t understand- at some point during the final battle he referred to himself as the 1st angel? What’s up with that? Anybody knows?

I went to wiki but on the top of his page a giant banner saying “Spoilers for 3.0+1.0 ahead”. Had to come back here and ask you :)

Last edited:
Corrected a mistake in my previous post where I left a thought half-finished. I meant to say:
To be honest it doesn’t look like Holy Grail to me. Holy Grail is supposed to look like a giant cup.
This object looks more like an alien ship - or a meteor (which makes sense because, if it’s in fact Black Moon, it’s supposed to be the cause of the First Impact which is... the extinction of dinosaurs, I believe? )

I saw on wiki Eva that the reference for Holy Grail is actually comes from their forum where one user said something like: “Is it just me or it looks like a Holy Grail a bit?” :)

i don’t know anything about FLCL though

OK, so, I watched EVANGELION 2.22 yesterday (which in your time zone was today early morning) and I have some thoughts to share:

In the scene at the graves Shinji says: “I can’t picture her face anymore <...> Do you have a picture of her? “ to which his father replies: “They were all destroyed”.
I find it interesting because it seems like a direct setup for what’s coming in 3.0. Who knows what the heck they were planning exactly back in 2009 when this movie was made.

Then we have Asuka’s appearance. What’s interesting is that she isn’t shown until after the battle. I think that’s a good decision on directors part.
One of the first scenes with her is where she talks to the doll. Clearly a setup for her backstory which didnt come in 3.0 so... Lets just hope that Anon didn’t forget about this.
I find Asuka’s personality a bit off putting tbh. Like there is a scene where she K.O.s Shinji for seeing her naked and then there is a scene in the school where we see her punching one of her classmates for whatever reason. I think when they have so little time to develop these characters they could have introduced more meaning scenes. However I do like her further development and the fact that she starts cooking and all that.

Then we have Misato’s backstory and an explanation of the Second Impact. I just realized of how different the Impact was in Rebuild movies! So there is four Adams which caused it. And we still don’t know how it was ended. In the series they put Adam in embryonic state. Here it’s clearly something else.

By the way what is this being on the Moon? Is this relevant to Adam in any way?

BE7C3943-5303-4FBF-A657-126277D9064C.jpeg

Result of the Second Impact is oceans turning red which is reminiscent of the red landscape we see in 3.0

There is a scene at 57:00 where SEELE says that “Our only desire is the true Evangelion” which is Japanese sounds like Shin Evangelion. They say it’s the key to Human Instrumentality. Overall it sounds like they talk about Mark.06 but I wonder if it means something for the final movie.

Some more attempts at answers to Rebuild questions. 😁

But Kaworu was sent by SEELE which I’m guessing implies that he was created in that lab on the moon. Angel inside of Mark.06 seems to have been placed there artificially in order to awaken Unit-13.
That’s very different from the first 10 angels that were coming from the outer space.
At the end of 1.11, we see Kaworu awake and get up from inside a coffin. Again, he seems to have existed for a very long time, just like SEELE.

As for Tabgha Moonbase, rather than a laboratory, it's actually an excavation site. There was a version of 1.01 released in Japan that included a bonus DVD called "Explanation of Evangelion 1.01".

If you go here...
... click on the caption that says "Part Two (Captions 131~259)" and then scroll down to the bottom image, you'll see the translation of the on-screen caption at the right of your screen.

And as for where the Angels came from, well... the only one we actually saw come from space was the 8th. 😉

EDIT: There is a another mystery about Kaworu I don’t understand- at some point during the final battle he referred to himself as the 1st angel? What’s up with that? Anybody knows?

I went to wiki but on the top of his page a giant banner saying “Spoilers for 3.0+1.0 ahead”. Had to come back here and ask you :)
That we don't know yet. Even his accompanying dialogue is enigmatic. The Funimation Blu-ray subtitles (provided by Khara's own in-house translator Dan Kanemitsu) translate it as something along the lines of "Me, the 1st Angel, cast down to the 13th", suggesting some sort of demotion; whereas the English dub (also overseen by Khara and Kanemitsu) renders his line as "Me, the 1st Angel, utterly defeated by the 13th", implying that they're separate entities.

I've literally no idea, I'm afraid. 🤷‍♂️

To be honest it doesn’t look like Holy Grail to me.
Don't you think so? 😯
I think it looks every bit like a goblet tipped onto its side.

As for the other Tsurumaki anime...
i don’t know anything about FLCL though
I wouldn't worry about it. The gigantic object in that series is shaped like an iron. 😅

It's similar in its apparent function within the plot, though: it's a factory which makes the enemy robots.

By the way what is this being on the Moon? Is this relevant to Adam in any way?

BE7C3943-5303-4FBF-A657-126277D9064C.jpeg
Given the big red LCL spatter across the surface of the moon, it's speculated that one of the Adams was thrown there by Second Impact, along with a/the (depending on how many there are) Spear of Cassius. Both were excavated under instruction by SEELE, and the Adam was fashioned into Eva Mark.06, which SEELE intended to be the "true Evangelion".

This Eva met a sorry end during 3.33, though, and was superceded by Unit-13, which is also one of the Adams. Unit-13's true identity as a/the (again uncertain) surviving Adam is stated explicitly in the film's dialogue.

I hope all of that was of some use to you, buddy. 🙂👍

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, so much catching up to do and the excitement keeps building as we get closer to Friday the 13th! After life thwarting all attempts to keep to schedule, I finally got time yesterday and binged 1.11 & 2.22 to catch up and will hopefully be able to watch 3.33 on Thursday, just in time! I see a lot of chat on 3.33, that makes me realise just how much of the story elements I have completely missed on my last few watches! But that is what I've always loved about Eva, from the original series to the rebuilds: it inspires repeated attempts to watch/read all about it again and again to enable some level of interpretation. If that's not replayability then I don't know what is.

As @WMD mentioned, 1.11 is basically Anno giving us a taste of NGE but with HD polish & additional flourishes to the original's great soundtrack. It really brings the world of Eva to life. Likewise for 2.22, what with the scene that @Unit-99999999 (great username there by the way heh) linked, with the Evas speeding towards the angel bomb: it was a fantastic scene in the original and is gloriously realised in HD. Of Eva's great soundtrack, my favourite piece actually comes from 2.22, in that morning scene with the rising of Tokyo-3 (I linked a video of that somewhere around here before). So, great visuals and music to boot. But, again as @WMD mentioned relating to Shinji and I think @Unit-99999999 implied relating to Asuka, the character development nuance is unsurprisingly ebbed given the shorter overall runtime. In particular with Shinji running away from home, which was still good but the melancholy just didn't have the time to sink in. Then Asuka's gradual breakdown from NGE really didn't translate and that ridiculously potent elevator scene of her with Rei was robbed by being rushed here. But still, not a bad effort at all, but then I am very biased in all things Eva. On that, for 2.22 I did like some changes relating to Asuka and Rei. Rei actually had a lot more attention and importance attached compared to this relative point in the story in NGE, where she seemed to have been forgotten somewhat. And Asuka seems to have evolved somewhat (I tend to view the rebuilds as a continuity after NGE) in being even less reliant on others, for example no pining after Kaji now, but yet still as human as anyone else in still getting jealous of Rei and desiring proximity to bakashinji.

Righty ho, looking forward to revisiting 3.33 now and coming back to @Neil.T & @Unit-99999999 's chat to piece together the story. I personally loved the switch up in the story of the rebuilds with this one as well as the timeskip, leaving the viewers as thoroughly bewildered and disoriented as poor Shinji in a completely different landscape.

One weird thing about 1.11 is that as much they copy from the show, one particular scene was for whatever reason omitted. I personally find it important - do you remember when debris start falling on Shinji and the Unit-01 moves its arm to protect him (despite being disconnected):
DB043C23-DC6A-46CB-A4A4-D3AA3470EC45.jpeg
Completely forgot to comment on this and I wholeheartedly agree. I thought it was a very odd choice to not have this essential scene. Then again,
That's an interesting point actually. I wonder what the rationale for removing that was. It's a pretty major piece of foreshadowing in the series. I cant remember if the films go down the same road or not with respect to Shinjis mum and the Eva's.
You're right here that this emphasis on Yui generally seems omitted in the rebuilds including for when in NGE she comforts Shinji within the Eva when he is trapped in the Sea of Dirac and also I think when Unit-01 goes berserk against Zereul.

These omissions for me are a real shame as well, especially as that is a pivotal relationship to focus on given how the most important aspect of the show is on human relationships.

I see a lot of chat on 3.33, that makes me realise just how much of the story elements I have completely missed on my last few watches! But that is what I've always loved about Eva, from the original series to the rebuilds: it inspires repeated attempts to watch/read all about it again and again to enable some level of interpretation. If that's not replayability then I don't know what is.
I get what you mean after reading some of the chat on 3.33 from this thread, it has given me a new appreciation for some of the more subtler elements of the film which has only made me more pumped for my rewatch of 3.33 tomorrow.

Back