Presumably that doesn't mean that would be the case in UK?
Yeah, doubtful. From the things I read prior to the release of 3.0+1.0, it would likely just be on Amazon Japan, and therefore without the option of English subtitles.

Imagine the t
The what? Don't leave me hanging like that, dude! 😆

Speaking of, is there a release window for AL's NGE Ultimate Edition?
No, nothing yet. Only that it's planned for this year.

(You've still got plenty of time to come up with excuses legitimate reasons why it's an absolutely essential purchase.)

The what? Don't leave me hanging like that, dude! 😆

No, nothing yet. Only that it's planned for this year.

(You've still got plenty of time to come up with excuses legitimate reasons why it's an absolutely essential purchase.)

Imagine the t..................anyway, what was I saying. Ah yes, spending 400 GBP in anime, god help us and such. I hope they put it on zavvi, so I can order from the French site or something, otherwise it wouldn't be pretty with customs.

We'll see. At the same time, what they did with Bebop didn't appeal to me at all and I love that series, so I still need to see what is planned... And if it won't sell out in minutes.

Imagine not leaving unused text in your post!

@ayase Exactly! The tea, imagine Eva tea. Ah, sweet purple Unit 01 tea... 🧐

Speaking of, is there a release window for AL's NGE Ultimate Edition? Already thinking of excuses to give to the wife...
The wait continues...but then the rebuild movies have been a pretty good exercise in developing nirvana-achieving patience.
The tea! Limited edition Evangelion teas included with the UE, Shinji Grey, Chamomile Rei and Red Bush Asuka, you knew I was going there.
Heheh you deviant!
We'll see. At the same time, what they did with Bebop didn't appeal to me at all and I love that series, so I still need to see what is planned... And if it won't sell out in minutes.
Yeah I also don't want it in suitcase but something that can be proudly displayed on a shelf... Please don't say things like sell out, that is too depressing a thought...
Never gets old heheh.

e6b05d84aa03333b6935b6076aa7dfcf.gif

I thought this house might be haunted, but if it’s by the ghost of Kenneth Williams who is going to possess me from time to time, that’s actually okay.

Well now I’m interested to see the difference. The only subs/dub I’ve ever seen are the ADV ones, I wonder what the case will be when it comes to blu-ray? Probably the new (old?) script if Gainax/Khara are insisting on it I guess.

Seeing the posts from Amanda Winn-Lee (who folks may know as the original english voice of Rei Ayanami in the ADV dub of Eva) reminded me of the general situation around the production of the VSI/Netflix dub and how it wasn't the best thing for the end product.

There was a press (actually may have been at a con, not 100% sure) interview (involving some small groups) that voice actor Ray Chase took part in (Ray is the VA for Gendo Ikari in the Netflix dub) where he stated that the original english voice actors had to reaudition for their roles (In the end, none of them were cast), that the casting was likely approved very directly by a Japanese representative (not the ADR director or a casting director at VSI) and the recording of the show had multiple influences such as notes direct from Japan and having to do takes over and over to the approval of the client (It's common for dubs of shows in LA to have reps from the companies in on recordings but this particular situation is seen by many as particularly onerous) suggesting the ADR director ultimately had little creative freedom.

All of this plus Khara's meddling in the dub of 3.00/3.33 and the overly literal script paints a picture of not trusting the product being put out in english at all without their heavy influence.

Heres a video about why actors get recast (its a good if slightly long rundown of reasons of recasts and various situations), but at the 26.30 minute-ish mark, it covers EVA's new dub and talks about both new cast and some potential reasons why they were chosen (one being a suggestion of the recasts were chosen as they were similar to the seiyuu)

Well now I’m interested to see the difference. The only subs/dub I’ve ever seen are the ADV ones, I wonder what the case will be when it comes to blu-ray? Probably the new (old?) script if Gainax/Khara are insisting on it I guess.

Who knows for sure, but I would guess that the ADV dub will not be allowed on it. It also may mean the same overly literal translation will be present in the subs like with the insistence of using "Third Children" or "Children" when referring to a singular person.

Last edited:
My problem is the ADV subs were good especially for the platinum releases but the dub was eh... and End Of Eva’s was more a meme with the so ****** up etc and the subs of end of Eva wasn’t good god manga fecked up with that set. So I expect from AL if gods smiling we will get two sub tracks (ADVs platinum and the Netflix subs) but the dub won’t be anywhere near the BD. As Khara owns the rights to that dub if they don’t want anyone to use it arguing won’t change anything that’s what I didn’t like about that tweet Netflix were in no position to argue as this show had been unlicensed for years you can’t start arguing when they let you stream it esp if it wasn’t cheap.

Been watching Danganronpa 3 to complete the story of the first two games and came across this tune there, thinking I'm sure I've heard this in Eva. A short search later I confirmed this and here it is, acting as a nice successor to Kom Süsser Tod in the rebuild movies. Also good effort Danganronpa, but Anno remains the master of despair when he chooses to be heh.

Regarding previous talk on the point/role of Mari in the rebuilds, there was actually an interesting focus on her in an epilogue in the Eva manga (which I finally finished reading after having started in the noughties) that I wasn't aware of.

And so the avoidance of everything related to 3.0+1.0 continues to avoid any spoilers!

Back