Speaking of, I've actually spoiled myself rotten concerning the last movie, but actually only remember what I've read about the ending, so it'll be the journey that counts? 🤔

@Geriatric hedgehog I've stopped dead in my dandanronpa-series-playing tracks first thanks to the simulwatch but also to Nier. But I was actually playing Ultra Despair Girls first; are you skipping that one? I kinda want to get to the anime to see the conclusion to the original arc too but I can't pass on more Nagito...

I was checking the running time when it launched on Wikipedia and yes spoilt bits. I hate that English Wikipedia allows people to spoil a film only out in Japan.
That is bloody irritating. After reading an article title mentioning major spoilers in a new trailer, I have been avoiding even the official trailers and all now.

Haven't posted here in a while...

came across this tune there, thinking I'm sure I've heard this in Eva
Yep, it's actually a Japanese folk song:

Regarding previous talk on the point/role of Mari in the rebuilds, there was actually an interesting focus on her in an epilogue in the Eva manga (which I finally finished reading after having started in the noughties) that I wasn't aware of.
My girlfriend's got the complete Eva manga in omnibus form, and I read it for the first time last year. As for that interesting Mari bonus chapter, the manga's writer and artist, Eva character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, dismissed in an interview any idea that it has any relation to the story of the Rebuild movies:

... that’s not in the storyline, it’s just an extra chapter for the manga volume. It’s even apart from the movies, like fanservice. Just something you mustn’t think too hard about. [laughs]

Speaking of, I've actually spoiled myself rotten concerning the last movie, but actually only remember what I've read about the ending
I was checking the running time when it launched on Wikipedia and yes spoilt bits.
After reading an article title mentioning major spoilers in a new trailer, I have been avoiding even the official trailers and all now.
That's all really interesting, because right after watching the official preview of the opening 12 and a half minutes of 3.0+1.0 on Khara's YouTube channel, I did as planned and cut myself off from Eva-related news sources entirely.

Well, I tell a lie. I have the Eva Extra app installed on my phone, and it gave me a notification of another 15-second TV teaser a week later, so I allowed myself that. (I also posted it in this very thread here.) Since then, the app has given notifications about "character promo reels". I assume these to be like trailers summarising each character's contribution to the Rebuild movies from start to end and would be very spoiler-heavy, so I've avoided those entirely.

The only other thing I took a peek at recently was the film's average rating on MAL. It was a very high 8+. 😯

Long story short: I remain mercifully unspoiled on the Eva finale front and aim to stay that way.

that’s not in the storyline, it’s just an extra chapter for the manga volume. It’s even apart from the movies, like fanservice. Just something you mustn’t think too hard about. [laughs]
That is a real shame and I was really hoping he put it in there to have some kind of tie-in with the fourth movie. Interesting though wasn't it? Nevermind, though clearly he felt the same way as the fans to be asking what's the point of her and having a go to give us his take on her.
Long story short: I remain mercifully unspoiled on the Eva finale front and aim to stay that way.
Keep it that way dude and good luck heh. I've only read the odd spoiler-free line of certain reviews, just to confirm that critics/fans do love the movie. Just in case I wasn't hyped enough already heh. But after hearing of the spoilerrific trailer I've shut down on all news feeds on that movie. Can't wait..

And yeah that folk song was an inspired choice as successor to EoE's Kom süsser Todd eh?

Interesting piece from Colony Drop on an unrealised Evangelion sequel film that was planned to follow End of Eva.

Interesting piece from Colony Drop on an unrealised Evangelion sequel film that was planned to follow End of Eva.

How very interesting.. Had to stop reading though just in case of any remotely potential spoilers for the last rebuild!

Had to stop reading though just in case of any remotely potential spoilers for the last rebuild!
I'm already familiar with most of the content of that article, so I read it cautiously to check for Rebuild spoilers. I can confirm that there are none, so you'd be totally safe to read it, dude. 👍

The only thing that resembles spoilers are some references to the Evangelion light novel series Anima, but even those are things that are quite widely known.

For anyone interested in some further reading on the book mentioned in the article, Sore o Nasumono, here are some links.

Evageeks stub article:

Some translated content (unfinished):

Review of the book:

I learned some very interesting new things from reading the article in @Professor Irony's link, so thanks very much for sharing, Prof.

I haven't read it, but I hear that it becomes increasingly just fanservice as it goes on, so it depends on what you think about that.
Oh, so it's one of those 😆 Well, I guess I'll give it a quick read online then and see what I think about it. If it's just fanservice it's not really for me.

Does anyone else find it a little surreal thinking about how virtually everyone knows what Evangelion is in Japan but a lot of people in this country don't? I don't mean that as in "ugh normies" or w/e (I don't really use that term), though I do get a tad annoyed when I bring up an anime and tell someone it has 26 episodes and they say "wow that's a lot!" when what they really mean is "I have already written this show off completely just because it is animated and even though the runtime of the entire series is less than that of a single season of Buffy or Supernatural I am assuming that you are wasting your time by watching it." And I say that as someone who absolutely loved Buffy (and Angel the spinoff) and the first few seasons of Supernatural (only didn't keep watching cuz it was so depressing but I'd say it's worth trying at least). Anyway, I'm sorely tempted to watch Evangelion again even tho I guess the UK BD release may not be that far off? It's just so good! I wanna give my boy Shinji some love and appreciation 😭 ❤️ I recently drew him as well and felt a profound sense of relief and happiness afterwards, thankyou Shinji! :)

Attachments

• My Fanart of Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.jpg
    My Fanart of Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 3
Does anyone else find it a little surreal thinking about how virtually everyone knows what Evangelion is in Japan but a lot of people in this country don't?
It's interesting reading impressions like that, RadFem, because I think I've only spoken to two people in real life who've seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, and both of those were fellow festival-goers at Scotland Loves Anime at Glasgow Film Theatre. Somewhat ironically, the first guy had seen it when I hadn't yet, and the second hadn't seen it at the time we got talking, by which time I had. The latter went on to make this review video on his YouTube channel after watching it, though:

With your post, you might just have encouraged me to rewatch NGE myself. The last time I saw it was during the 2019 simulwatch here, so... I'll see if I can squeeze in an episode here and there.

What discs do you have, RadFem? I have the seven ADV region 2 volumes (which my girlfriend found by sheer chance in what was her local branch of CEX at the time), alongside the separately released director's cuts of the later episodes, and Manga's Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.

That makes it totally worth rewatching before the Anime Limited Ultimate Edition lands, because that'll surely include only the later Platinum Edition version of the episodes, whereas the ADV DVDs are based off of the original broadcast version.

I like your fan art, by the way. Good stuff.

Does anyone else find it a little surreal thinking about how virtually everyone knows what Evangelion is in Japan but a lot of people in this country don't? I don't mean that as in "ugh normies" or w/e (I don't really use that term), though I do get a tad annoyed when I bring up an anime and tell someone it has 26 episodes and they say "wow that's a lot!" when what they really mean is "I have already written this show off completely just because it is animated and even though the runtime of the entire series is less than that of a single season of Buffy or Supernatural I am assuming that you are wasting your time by watching it." And I say that as someone who absolutely loved Buffy (and Angel the spinoff) and the first few seasons of Supernatural (only didn't keep watching cuz it was so depressing but I'd say it's worth trying at least). Anyway, I'm sorely tempted to watch Evangelion again even tho I guess the UK BD release may not be that far off? It's just so good! I wanna give my boy Shinji some love and appreciation 😭 ❤️ I recently drew him as well and felt a profound sense of relief and happiness afterwards, thankyou Shinji! :)

Sorry @RadFemHedonist this is terrible work you've done.

Shinji is not shown getting in the robot as he should be! 🤣

Kidding of course, I like the pic! :)

I know what you mean about it not being that widely seen, but it's certainly a bit of an experience to watch it. A friend of mine watched it after I was talking about it in our group chat, he has seen some anime but isn't huge on watching it, so when he asked if it was good, I said "it's an experience" so he went off and watched it. He hated the ending though! really disliked it, and he was enjoying the first half or so.

The opening song to NGE is still great, never get tired of it, never skip.

When you say 26 episodes you should say 26 really short episodes! :)

I got tired of Supernatural around season 5 or 6, and it carried on going for ageeeess afterwards.

Bar the rebuild dub fans….
Lots of language dubs same day so it sounds like the new cast is dubbing it so shocked not like I predicted it 4 years ago

Didn't see that coming. The main question now is what it will cost; whether it will be a £16 rental like other movies that are still in their theatrical run, or something else. I'd be very surprised if it's just included with a Prime subscription.

Didn't see that coming. The main question now is what it will cost; whether it will be a £16 rental like other movies that are still in their theatrical run, or something else. I'd be very surprised if it's just included with a Prime subscription.
According to the press release it's part of the standard Prime/Prime Video subscription.

EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME will join the thousands of TV shows and movies in the Prime Video catalogue, UK-produced Amazon Original series such as Good Omens, Clarkson’s Farm and All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur and award-winning and critically acclaimed global Amazon Originals like Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, The Boys, Hunters, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. All this is available on Prime Video at no extra cost for Prime members.

Back