Shifted from the Anime Limited thread:

This is a bit multi-layered, I feel.

We all know what kind of position Kaworu holds within Eva fandom. For a character who had so little screen time in NGE, fans certainly took him into their hearts and analysed and talked about his words, actions and intent.

This extended into other Evangelion media such as games. One of these is a visual novel sequel by developer Broccoli called Girlfriend of Steel 2nd. The game plays up fan interpretations of Shinji and Kaworu's relationship and includes a "Kaworu route" for players to pursue:
gos110.jpg

Keeping at the back of our minds the way in which Kaworu has been absorbed into the ongoing Eva lore, 2012 saw the release of Evangelion 3.0, where this fan-favourite character would finally get some more screen time. The thing is (and your individual mileage may vary considerably here) Evangelion 3.0 has been argued by some to be very meta. What I, personally, got from the audience reaction at the screening at Glasgow Film Theatre in 2013 was that the laughter was a response to how Khara had played up to the image of the character that Kaworu had become in the minds of fans, and to Shinji's continuing obliviousness to the meaning of the whole thing.

As another case in point, some observers argue that the pilots' lack of ageing in 3.0 is a comment on the fanbase still not having moved on all these years later. I think that one's very much open to debate myself, but there is one thing that I feel is for certain: the Wunder pilots are wearing outfits ripped straight out of RahXephon, an arguable Evangelion rip-off by animation studio Bones.

Yes: an Evangelion film directly referencing Evangelion's influence on the medium that it's part of. That is just how meta 3.0 can apparently get.

(Tagging @Yami as well if you're interested in this at all.)

I'm not big into shipping or BL but that pic is so kawaii X3

I really liked Rahxephon and while it obviously has significant Eva influences I think it does plenty of it's own thing too, wouldn't call it a ripoff :)

I see yes. It does seem 3.33 is potentially meta. The lack of aging has to be some meta angle I think it comes out nowhere and probably is my only criticism of 3.33 why do Asuka and Mari have to look the same.
I do also peoples problem with Kaworu in 3.33 as he was hinted at the end of 1.11 and then he gets just one film by the posters he is going to appear in 3.0 + 1.0.
I do agree that 3.33 is not the film you expect after 2.22 so it’s why I disliked it initially but 2 years later the more cynical and attune to anime the more I appreciate it now. It’s why I have zero expectations for 3.0 + 1.0 because after 3.33 you can’t predict where this will go,

I really liked Rahxephon and while it obviously has significant Eva influences I think it does plenty of it's own thing too, wouldn't call it a ripoff :)
I remember reading years ago, and bear in mind I have no idea whether there is any truth to this at all, that Anno and... whoever directed RaXephon knew each other and that rather than being a straight rip-off it was kind of done knowingly as a response of sorts to Anno and Eva. I’ve never actually seen RaXephon but given how many Gainax shows did some quite obvious homage/parodying of their predecessors, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone thought it was time they got similar treatment.

I've not seen 3.33 since release so I don't feel qualified to talk about it at this point. I remember my main issue with it at the time is that it didn't succeed as a standalone work and I'm firmly of the belief that while film series should ideally be greater than the sum of their parts, those parts should still function in their own right. To not follow it up for 9 years is an embarrassment, frankly.

I don't remember finding anything particularly amusing about the piano scene.

I remember reading years ago, and bear in mind I have no idea whether there is any truth to this at all, that Anno and... whoever directed RaXephon knew each other
Well, how about that. I looked up RahXephon on MAL, and the director is a guy called Yutaka Izubuchi.
And on his page there, it credits him with the costume designs for Evas 2.0 and 3.0.

That might put a bit of a different spin on the latter's supposed meta status.

I've not seen 3.33 since release so I don't feel qualified to talk about it at this point. I remember my main issue with it at the time is that it didn't succeed as a standalone work
I don't remember finding anything particularly amusing about the piano scene.
I agree with you on both points there. As for the piano scene, well, the Glasgow Film Theatre audience for 3.0 even laughed (somewhat nervously, I felt) at the part where Shinji screams in a mix of frustration and anger and throws his SDAT player at the wall of his room.

That disappointed me.

What's the title of that fanfic I'm lead to think of now, ah yes Angelic Days I think it is?
Hahhh! 😆

Nah, that's no fanfic, dude: it's a legit spin-off based on a 2005 visual novel game called Girlfriend of Steel 2nd.

The manga (which in Japanese shares its title with the game) has some differences from the source material, though.

@WMD read the manga around the time of the Eva simulwatch a couple of years ago.

Nah, that's no fanfic, dude: it's a legit spin-off based on a 2005 visual novel game called Girlfriend of Steel 2nd.
Heheh my bad, I thought it was unofficial back in the day when I was trying in vain to track down the main manga. I finally got back to it and bought all of the latter at the end of last year and trying to read it now.

@WMD read the manga around the time of the Eva simulwatch a couple of years ago.
Cool, is it worth a read/purchase? If so, Will probably try tracking it down at some point.
I don't know if you guys like Mega64 but for those that haven't watched them, I think these are brilliant

Heheh these have been doing the rounds here and very, very funny.

Cool, is it worth a read/purchase? If so, Will probably try tracking it down at some point.
I really enjoyed it. It's quite different. It does the slice of life side very well. And my favourite thing was how nicely and expressive the characters were drawn. Especially this version of Rei who is far more emotional than the main series version.

The mech action isnt as well handled and can be a bit muddled but there isnt really that much from what i remember. The focus is on the relationships.

Theres only 6 volumes so it's not very long. 1-4 tell the main story 5 is prequel and 6 an epilogue so it's all nicely self contained.

1616021431513.png

I really enjoyed it. It's quite different. It does the slice of life side very well. And my favourite thing was how nicely and expressive the characters were drawn. Especially this version of Rei who is far more emotional than the main series version.

The mech action isnt as well handled and can be a bit muddled but there isnt really that much from what i remember. The focus is on the relationships.

Theres only 6 volumes so it's not very long. 1-4 tell the main story 5 is prequel and 6 an epilogue so it's all nicely self contained.

View attachment 17622
Good stuff, my older self having first experienced Eva felt that any happier take on the story was a travesty, my more mature self is adding this to my manga to get list. Gosh, I feel like such a capitalist with my crazy anime and, to a much lesser extent, manga purchasing habit...

Back