Honestly I dont like EoE (controversial I know)
I wouldn't say that's controversial. Plenty of people hate EoE for being so bitter and nihilistic. I actually prefer the TV ending these days, but I needed to see EoE before I could get there, since the TV series is an incomplete story taken on its own. There's just too much left unsaid between episodes 24 and 25.

The way I rewatch it these days is eps 1-24, then EoE, then eps 25-26. If you either ignore the last scene of EoE or assume that Shinji and Asuka said, "sod this, let's go back to Tang City" after the credits rolled, it just about works.

Last edited:
I think the people who defend the TV ending are speaking from the position of having seen both, so they at least found out what was supposed to happen after episode 24.
Huh, how about that? This is what I wrote in the Eva simulwatch thread:

I'm able to appreciate the TV ending to the degree that I do because EoE exists.

For me likewise, my acceptance of episodes 25 and 26 is impingent upon the existence of EoE to properly conclude the story.

Lately, I've been reading translations of the theatrical pamphlets for Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion, and the opening "Commentary" page of the "special edition" pamphlet of the former even goes so far as to admit:

... the climax of the series ... took an experimental and shocking approach in that the story developed within the inner worlds of the main characters. While this climax may have fulfilled the basic thematic requirements, it left the mysteries presented thus far mostly unsolved, and gave a strong impression of having ended with the story incomplete.

[Third paragraph here]

The pamphlet for EoE puts the above situation down to "production time limits and other problems". [Paragraph two here]

All three pamphlets can be accessed here.

Separately, @MD_Prometh, are you aware that your list of the 10 longest anime films was picked up by Evageeks forums? 🙂

Last edited:
Separately, @MD_Prometh, are you aware that your list of the 10 longest anime films was picked up by Evageeks forums? 🙂
Thanks for making me aware. :)

Be cool to see a proper doc on the production of the Rebuilds at some point. Be also nice if they could debunk certain myths.

Be cool to see a proper doc on the production of the Rebuilds at some point.
The nearest we have to that at the moment is a series of books called Complete Records Collection:

The only problem is that they've only been published in Japanese. 😬

Curiously, Anno has chosen to withhold a Complete Records Collection for 3.0 until after the release of 3.0+1.0, and has instead only released the complete storyboard component for it. This has only further added to the air of impenetrable mystery that still surrounds the third film in the series.

Translated 2.0 CRC content here:

Interesting discourse on the different endings of Eva thus far and I really like Dai's suggested watch order and look forward to rewatching that way just before we get the final rebuild movie in UK. I ended Eva on EoE which significantly exacerbated my dysthymia at the time, but ironically helped me get over a lot of things and develop resilience when coming to terms with the end of this story. I guess that's why it has always had a special place in my heart and how I owe a part of my sanity to a work of fiction heh. Therefore, even though objectively thinking I should also prefer the optimistic ending of the TV series, I suspect I will probably always end up preferring EoE for is nihilism.

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will be released in Japan on March 8th, just a day after Tokyo's state of emergency is lifted. Also, the film has been confirmed to be 155 mins long, slightly longer than what the Eirin listing stated.

Avoiding spoilers is going to be a challenge. Hopefully conditions in the West will be safe enough to allow for a potential late 2021 English subtitled / dubbed theatrical release. I'm betting on Gkids / AL potentially getting 3.0+1.0.

be wary of spoilers
Indeed. Speaking as the AUKN member who started this Evangelion thread, I think it also goes without saying that we certainly shouldn't welcome any kind of spoilers for the film here at least until after official UK screenings.

And speaking of official, has anyone seen the opening titles of 3.0+1.0 that Khara revealed earlier today? I was lucky enough to watch it live on YouTube at 15:00GMT.

Indeed. Speaking as the AUKN member who started this Evangelion thread, I think it also goes without saying that we certainly shouldn't welcome any kind of spoilers for the film here at least until after official UK screenings.

And speaking of official, has anyone seen the opening titles of 3.0+1.0 that Khara revealed earlier today? I was lucky enough to watch it live on YouTube at 15:00GMT.

I was working, how was it?! CG prowess flexing galore, I imagine. Does it have anything to do with that clip we had a few months (years?) back in Neo-Paris?

I was working, how was it?! CG prowess flexing galore, I imagine. Does it have anything to do with that clip we had a few months (years?) back in Neo-Paris?
It was great. It begins with the scene that you mention and then moves into new territory.

The Paris scene has some minor details added, that being text printed on things like the feet of the submersible that Ritsuko and co. are dropped off in. (I can't remember exactly what was printed, but basically they're magnets.) The feet of her plugsuit also have "grip shoes" printed on. The Wille ships have the organisation's emblem printed on as well, but I'm not sure if that detail was already there.

Then there's the opening titles, with credits displaying during a sequence of Asuka, Rei and Shinji trudging their way across the ruined red landscape. Composer Shiro Sagisu's music here is clearly Anno's tribute to 1960s Japanese cinema! I'm not convinced anyone saw that coming!

It was great. It begins with the scene that you mention and then moves into new territory.

The Paris scene has some minor details added, that being text printed on things like the feet of the submersible that Ritsuko and co. are dropped off in. (I can't remember exactly what was printed, but basically they're magnets.) The feet of her plugsuit also have "grip shoes" printed on. The Wille ships have the organisation's emblem printed on as well, but I'm not sure if that detail was already there.

Then there's the opening titles, with credits displaying during a sequence of Asuka, Rei and Shinji trudging their way across the ruined red landscape. Composer Shiro Sagisu's music here is clearly Anno's tribute to 1960s Japanese cinema! I'm not convinced anyone saw that coming!

I'd seen the main part of it already but I found it more fun, more striking this time around. I still marlonbrandolookatwhattheyvedonetomyboy.gif when I see the really exaggerated, over-the-top military designs, but I think I'm slowly coming to terms with them.

Some of the concepts are so crazy, though. Using warships as flying puppets is just crazy imaginative but I like it. I love the camera stuck on Mari's Eva's arm when she's calibrating the controls. The action is excellent, and the long shots detailed and beautiful.

The new stuff at the end is a much needed reunion with the characters everyone really wants to see. I'm impatient to see how Shinji's journey will end. Love the little guy.

Funny you should mention the music because I was watching it and my wife was like "is that the new Bond?!" at the part you're referring. I laughed because that kinda seemed like the vibe.

Funny you should mention the music because I was watching it and my wife was like "is that the new Bond?!"
Hahhh, that's brilliant! 😆

But yeah, just when we thought we'd gotten the measure by now of what a Shiro Sagisu Evangelion track sounds like, Khara go and surprise us all with that! I love it.

I had to pause it for a minute and so it cut off when the new material started they really did mean stream only
Have you managed to see it since?

I think it also goes without saying that we certainly shouldn't welcome any kind of spoilers for the film here at least until after official UK screenings.
Absolutely, would be grounds for capital punishment!

Eeek I couldn't resist reading the spoiler bits....

Right, I'm going to have to go into monkey hear no Eva, see no Eva and speak no Eva mode until this movie gets a UK release that I can watch!

I knew there was something I was waiting for with the Japanese release - being of a fan of Eva and Hikaru Utada, this was a little treat I was waiting for! Now to just wait for them to upload English subs/captions as like Aimer, I find her lyrics tend to be spot on with matching the animes they're used in. Also really loving the art style used in the background and in some of Japanese posters I believe.

Shifted from the Anime Limited thread:
I don’t know if that fixes the problem or just makes it worse. I do think the author said people laughed at the scene not the dub and they believe Khara blamed the dub which if people laughed at the 3.0 showing tracks.
This is a bit multi-layered, I feel.

We all know what kind of position Kaworu holds within Eva fandom. For a character who had so little screen time in NGE, fans certainly took him into their hearts and analysed and talked about his words, actions and intent.

This extended into other Evangelion media such as games. One of these is a visual novel sequel by developer Broccoli called Girlfriend of Steel 2nd. The game plays up fan interpretations of Shinji and Kaworu's relationship and includes a "Kaworu route" for players to pursue:
gos110.jpg

Keeping at the back of our minds the way in which Kaworu has been absorbed into the ongoing Eva lore, 2012 saw the release of Evangelion 3.0, where this fan-favourite character would finally get some more screen time. The thing is (and your individual mileage may vary considerably here) Evangelion 3.0 has been argued by some to be very meta. What I, personally, got from the audience reaction at the screening at Glasgow Film Theatre in 2013 was that the laughter was a response to how Khara had played up to the image of the character that Kaworu had become in the minds of fans, and to Shinji's continuing obliviousness to the meaning of the whole thing.

As another case in point, some observers argue that the pilots' lack of ageing in 3.0 is a comment on the fanbase still not having moved on all these years later. I think that one's very much open to debate myself, but there is one thing that I feel is for certain: the Wunder pilots are wearing outfits ripped straight out of RahXephon, an arguable Evangelion rip-off by animation studio Bones.

Yes: an Evangelion film directly referencing Evangelion's influence on the medium that it's part of. That is just how meta 3.0 can apparently get.

(Tagging @Yami as well if you're interested in this at all.)

Back