Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

High School of the Dead - 8/10

H.O.T.D. is why I love anime. If it was a live action show it'd be a low-budget and badly acted slice of B-movie cheese. Instead it's irresistibly cool and stylish.

9/10 was nailed on until the final three episodes. Once the characters reached Saya's hou... er, estate the action and plot (what little there was) ground to a halt for two-and-a-half episodes. Things finally picked up in the last half of episode 12, and then... the show ended.

The director of Death Note puts his overblown style to much better use here, delivering outrageous action scene after outrageous action scene jam-packed with commendably blatant fanservice. Rarely have I seen the female form exposed and exploited so creatively. Sexist? Possibly, but IT'S JUST A CARTOON!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brave Police J-Decker-Totally amazing series,kept me glued to my screen from start to finish,one of the stronger Brave series,what i loved about it is that the robots were not piloted by humans,they had advanced A.I. and had there own emotions which added a nice twist and angle on the whole show,the series had amazing arcs and really knew how to build up the tension unlike Fighbird which suffered from baddie of the week syndrome,while it done action very well there was always room for some humour and i noticed various parodies and in-jokes from Cutey Honey,Doomed Megalopolis,Gatchaman to name but a few which put a smile on my face,it all boils down to the show being directed by one of my fave directors Shinji Takamatsu who also directed other Brave series Goldran and Brave Express Might Gaine,just a shame very few of the Brave series got fansubbed or were dropped but i,ll watch them raw if i have to,anyway back to J-Decker overall an essential series that will sure to please any fan of manly giant robot shows,it might not be the most original show out there but it ticks all the right boxes.9/10

ilmaestro said:
Oh man, all I can say is you are going to LOVE the manga when you get it.
November can't come soon enough, maestro.

One other thing I meant to mention about H.O.T.D. is that neo-ADV's dub is up there with the best of what they were producing when things went tits-up a few years ago.

K-On! Episodes 1-4
So yeah...yesterday I kinda spent my last money on K-On! volume 1. I know this series has quite a large fanbase (I wonder why *rolls eyes*...), but due to the recent disappointments that were The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars I've decided to stop listening to what people say. Knowing this is the kind of show my older brother would make fun of me for watching, I decided to watch this in my room on my small screens rather than upscale it on the blu-ray and watch it on the big screen down stairs.

First off, I'm going to have to state the obvious - Mio is too cute. Also, although I only played bass for a while (I can't remember why I gave up)...I guess I kinda get attached to bassists more (like with my older brother's band, me and the bassist get on a lot more than the drummer, although we never discuss bass). To be honest, I wonder how my older brother would have reacted when watching the scenes of the girls in the music store - in all serious, I'd predict that he'd be able to point out every model of guitar there, and any flaws in their designs (if there were any).

Character wise, at the start it appears that we've been presented with the forgetful klutz Yui, the hyperactive idiot (Or should I sum it up with "The drummer" xD) Ritsu, the rational, mature-but wait, incredibly cute Mio, and the unusually rich, light haired Mugi. All major character types accounted for! Although in these four episodes alone, it's easy to see how some of them are breaking out of the mold - Mio and Mugi in particular. I've already pretty much proclaimed my love for Mugi in the previous paragraph, so I'll guess I'll get her out of the way. Sure, she's the most responsible one of the band (although I still have yet to see her turn down Mugi's cake =3) but boy are the scenes where she hears something slightly scary adorably hilarious. With Mugi, she's a lot more confident than other characters who share a similar archtype; in fact, her confidence was something I had to get used to. While Yui and Ritsu are hilarious, I've yet to see anything that really sets them apart...well, this is only 4 episodes, so I'm not expecting perfectly developed characters at this stage. These characters do show a lot of promise, and their interaction is quite possibly the greatest part of this volume.

I remember the other week when I went to one of my brother's rehearsals to take photos and recordings, and I noticed how often he (the front man/guitarist) and Oli (his bassist) interacted; inbetween songs they were always giving each other tips and stuff. I noticed instantly how Rio became a kind of 'mentor' to Yui...well, it was true that the guitar and bass are pretty similar in construction; it's mainly the music and the role in a song that differs (aside from y'know, the difference in string number and width). Then there was Ritsu taking the majority of the abuse - they couldn't have got the band atmosphere more accurate xD.

Musically; I love the opening and ending theme - particularly the ending theme "Don't Say Lazy!". Usually, I like the opening theme of an anime, but hate the ending (or vice versa), but this time it's a win with both. The animation is, as expected, wonderful; with incredibly cute character designs.

I remember watching, and wishing that more attention was given to the music side of things...well, I'm glad that it didn't go too deep into jargon (sometimes when my brother is telling me about something, I end up zoning out); yet it's obvious that a lot of time was taken into thinking of the models etc the band use...try looking it up on Wikipedia and you get things like:
Mio is a shy girl who is in the light music club. She plays a left-handed, 3-Color Sunburst Fender Jazz Bass with a tortoiseshell pickguard, though is shown playing a Fender Precision Bass in the first manga volume. She uses D'Addario EXL160M medium bass strings
So yeah...I guess there is something for the music nerds. Let's just sum up her personality in two words, then go on about what gear she uses xD. Saying that though, I was never expecting the show to focus most of the time on the technical side of music (After all, when do you see proper sneaking around in Naruto?) but at this point, the Light Music Club might as well be called the Light Cake Club xD

The only downsides I would name is Stephanie Sheh's performance. Sure, her voice fits the character, but when Yui is trying to speak fast, I can't understand her, and it just sounds like squeeks. Also, the voice does get irritating after a while. In the interview with Stephanie Sheh, she says she tried to find a voice that didn't sound too similar...I'm calling bull on that one; sounds like a lot of her other voice roles. The second is more minor; how they translate the Japanese currency into dollars. This might have worked if they airbrushed away the Japanese like 4kids do; but when I hear them talking about something costing $50 when the subtitles tell me it's 250,000 yen...yeah, it doesn't really work.

My enjoyment of episode 4 would have been better if not for the disc randomly skipping during the opening theme. I took the DVD out of my TV and tried playing it on the laptop, where instead, it stopped just before the half-way point; a bit of cleaning and it was fine...still annoying as I haven't played the disc before. Oh well.

This last Tuesday was apparently "Abuse a Bassist Day" *looks at Mio with a fiendish look*...but that'd prolly cause her to cry...*sad face*.

K-On! is definitely shaping up to be a good show. I do wish there were more than 4 episodes on this disc, or that I could have watched it on blu-ray...but oh well, licensing issues and all that jazz...I do have hopes for this show though.

7.5/10

ilmaestro said:
Joshawott said:
K-On! Episodes 1-4

I know this series has quite a large fanbase (I wonder why *rolls eyes*...)
Perhaps you could be more erudite in your sly insults.
The fact that I had to look up erudite (and still don't understand the full meaning) is probably revenge enough xD

Although...

a8a350d5.jpg

f8cc0f43.jpg

High School of the Dead

Enjoyable series which could have been a great gateway show for my non-anime liking but horror loving friends had it not been for the excessive amount of fanservice.

Don't get me wrong, I like boobs as much as the next guy and the character designs in the show are very hot (Saeko and Saya especially) but I had to fast forward the scene with the gun being balanced on Reis tits and bullets flying through Saekos legs with up skirt camera angles.

The pacing was good and I enjoyed the action and zombie bashing as well as the comedy elements but the dub imo was mostly awful and at times when I felt I was being sucked into the show some terrible acting would come along to ruin it.

A guilty pleasure. 7/10

Bleach the movie 2: The DiamondDust Rebellion
8/10
Surprisingly good considering its a movie spinoff off a anime show. The're useally pretty average.

Good things:
Good story
Some really good fight scenes
really nice backgrounds

Bad things:
Animation was actually pretty poor! kinda surpriseing for Bleach
How did the villain get resurrected? that wasnt explained very well.

buso renkin - iv heard a few people say that this series isn't any good or its a disappointment.
i think it would of been better if it was made in to a longer series........ everything in the series was coming at you right after the other with out a brake e.g. popillon saga was for 6 episodes and it jumped right in to the next. usually sagas are long for a reason, to build up suspense but i guess it was ok, i like suspense but this series gets right to the point.

8/10

As I've been saying elsewhere, and upsetting people along the way with my comments:

Evangelion 1:11 You Are [Not] Alone.

Were I to review this movie for the site, it'd get a 6 out of 10. or maybe a 7 if I was feeling kind.

I get the idea behind these movies, but the near 100% re-telling of stuff I'd already seen in a TV show (which I felt lukewarm towards at best) didn't sit well with me at all. Yes, I applaud the lovely visuals, and a dub that seems to iron out the problems I had with the ADV version. But DEAR GOD do I hate Shinji Ikari with a vengeance!

I'm also very disappointed witht he breakneck speed of plot development. There's just no light or shade in the storytelling here, and I feel that the lack of exposition is deplorable. There's not nearly enough information here about the Second Impact, or why it is that the angels are attacking Earth.

This is, quite honestly , THE MOST disappointing movie I've seen all year. I sure hope the following instalments are more worthy of my time.

HdE said:
As I've been saying elsewhere, and upsetting people along the way with my comments:

Evangelion 1:11 You Are [Not] Alone.

Were I to review this movie for the site, it'd get a 6 out of 10. or maybe a 7 if I was feeling kind.

I get the idea behind these movies, but the near 100% re-telling of stuff I'd already seen in a TV show (which I felt lukewarm towards at best) didn't sit well with me at all. Yes, I applaud the lovely visuals, and a dub that seems to iron out the problems I had with the ADV version. But DEAR GOD do I hate Shinji Ikari with a vengeance!

I'm also very disappointed witht he breakneck speed of plot development. There's just no light or shade in the storytelling here, and I feel that the lack of exposition is deplorable. There's not nearly enough information here about the Second Impact, or why it is that the angels are attacking Earth.

This is, quite honestly , THE MOST disappointing movie I've seen all year. I sure hope the following instalments are more worthy of my time.

Yeah, that's the point, I think 1.11 is a remake of the first 6 episodes.

Then, when it gets to 2.22, what a tweeeest!

Aria

I've just finished watching "The Origination", so I can now review the entire work. I think I can say that Aria is one of the best things I have ever watched.

The main reason for this is that Aria does something that I can't imagine any UK TV show doing. It is designed not to make you laugh / think / scared / get money out of you by make you call a phone number to vote on something pointless. It is designed to make you feel happy. Can you imagine any TV network commissioning a mainstream TV show which is purely designed to make you feel happy? It would never happen.

Aria is joyous, charming, tranquil and beautiful. It is full of wonderful moments. Probably my favourite was the scene in which
Alice gets promoted, because when you are watching it you think, "This is Aria, you know that she is going to get one of her gloves removed and get promoted." But when Athena reaches for the second glove, I was completely taken aback. I was never expecting it. It is one of the biggest and most wonderful surprises I've seen in a work of fiction. Also, the scene in the final episode in which Alicia makes her way to her wedding is also another great moment.

The animation is great, the soundtrack is great, the plot is great. I cannot think of anything wrong it. It is just about perfect as far as I can tell.

Score: 10 / 10

sekeri - i love this ecchi hearm fan service anime boobs boobs boobs boobs i like the main characters and the story is great. the only down side is it ended and i want season 2. the blonde was a hotty

9.5/10

Grave of the Fireflies

I thought provoking and shocking film. It is full of deeply disturbing images. For example when you see the mother covered in bandages after the air raid, the only bits being exposed being her closed eyes, nose and mouth. You can just see her burned flesh. It is such a horrifying sight. Then there is also the sight of Setsuko covered in a disgusting rash covering her back which gets worse and worse as the film goes on. A truly powerful film.

Score: 9 / 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back