[Overseas] Anime News & Announcements

An estimated guess at what the Sentai set will look like:

91VKFnIqKrL._SL1500_.jpg

Triage X finally has a release date?!?......well thats good to know. And while I'm aware Animatsu has the UK license I have no idea how long a gap there will be between the US and UK release

Erm... WHAT. I don't think anyone asked for this, especially at $220. Pretty sure the Japanese singles were on Amazon JP for ~1500 yen each the other week too.

$220? Utterly laughable.

My hope here is that somebody at Sentai has said to the Japanese licensor 'sure yeah, we'll charge that for the show' as a means of showing them how out of whack their ideas are about what their product is worth in the West. I can't imagine it's going to sell remotely well, and I can't imagine Sentai expect it to either.

I find it weird that half of the people complaining about Sentai's Infinite Stratos 2 set are the people that made it happen. Your continuing AoA collections, your buying titles simply because they're AoA or because they're too expensive for other people to have, your refusal to condemn AoA for it's questionable behaviour. (Why is it TBS gets condemned for making OVAs exclusive to expensive CEs, but AoA don't?) You made it difficult for Sentai to argue against a set like this. I'd be willing to bet that AoA and PonyCanUSA were thrown back in Sentai's face when they tried to resist this.

If you look at the obi-band on the artwork posted in the artwork thread, it's "ultra-limited". Sentai know this won't sell, so they've tried to turn it into a collector's item. I actually feel bad for Sentai, they know this is a terrible proposition, and they've clearly tried their best. Hopefully they'll recover soon.

I'm not too sure anyone is buying AoA sets just because other people can't afford them. That's a pretty out there claim. I'm sure most people buy them because they're fairly nice sets of shows they like...

I'm not too sure anyone is buying AoA sets just because other people can't afford them. That's a pretty out there claim. I'm sure most people buy them because they're fairly nice sets of shows they like...
There are forum members that collect AoA sets, to the point of buying shows they haven't seen and don't think they'll like, just because they're AoA.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it was about buying stuff purely because other people can't afford them, but that was more a blu-ray.com thing than an AUKN thing. They're the kind of people that really would do that.

There are forum members that collect AoA sets, to the point of buying shows they haven't seen and don't think they'll like, just because they're AoA.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it was about buying stuff purely because other people can't afford them, but that was more a blu-ray.com thing than an AUKN thing. They're the kind of people that really would do that.

I won't deny the first claim, but buying something just because someone else can't afford to, as a concept, baffles me. What's there to gain there? Like "Haha!, I have more money than that guy on the internet who I've never met and has no impact on my life"? I'm confused.

I only buy shows well AoA prices if I plan to rewatch them. I've seen my monogatari 4 times, madoka rebellion 3 times I don't plan to buy AoA sets with a plan to watch them. (DRR I will watch when I get all 6 of x2)

I won't deny the first claim, but buying something just because someone else can't afford to, as a concept, baffles me. What's there to gain there? Like "Haha!, I have more money than that guy on the internet who I've never met and has no impact on my life"? I'm confused.

Why does anybody own any collectable? There's an appeal in owning something rare, that not many other people own. Something you can show off as a item that not many other people own.

It's kind of a status thing. "I own this expensive item, not many other people can justify owning, so that makes me a better fan than them...*"

*It does not actually make anyone a better fan of something, because they own an AoA set.

I only buy shows well AoA prices if I plan to rewatch them. I've seen my monogatari 4 times, madoka rebellion 3 times I don't plan to buy AoA sets with a plan to watch them. (DRR I will watch when I get all 6 of x2)

To be fair, making the OVAs exclusive to their set, didn't really give you much choice. Even I'd be buying the AoA DRR!!x2 sets if I could.

Why does anybody own any collectable? There's an appeal in owning something rare, that not many other people own. Something you can show off as a item that not many other people own.

It's kind of a status thing. "I own this expensive item, not many other people can't justify owning, so that makes me a better fan than them...*"

*It does not actually make anyone a better fan of something, because they own an AoA set.
I think it's a ego thing it makes them feel better than others...

Might make a bit more sense if you liken Buzz201's analogy to that of luxury cars. I still have no idea why someone would spend upwards of £100,000 on a car if one for a 10th of a price fulfills all the same basic requirements, other than to show it off.

The internet makes it easy to show that stuff off, and it can be kind of a good feeling doing so. Hell, I get a kick out of posting up laserdiscs in the other thread, and they're totally pointless!

Might make a bit more sense if you liken Buzz201's analogy to that of luxury cars. I still have no idea why someone would spend upwards of £100,000 on a car if one for a 10th of a price fulfills all the same basic requirements, other than to show it off.

Excellent analogy. A car is basically a tin can on wheels that gets you from A to B. There may be some perceived merits in buying one model over another, but basically, it's going to do the same job.

Funny story - I knew a guy from my days playing music who was ROLLING in cash. He bought himself a Toyota Supra, rationalising it that he'd feel better about himself if peopel saw him driving it, and it'd help him to snag a woman. I'd like to think he was joking when he said that. But I'm pretty sure he wasn't.

Guess what? It didn't work. He became super precious about his car, to the point that he wouldn't letanybody into it if they were carrying food or - get this! - HAD food on their person. As in, he would literally ask peple if they had food in their bags before letting them in. (He pulled this on me once when I needed to get somewhere sharpish. I told him to go f*ck himself.) Before long, he'd annoyed so many peopel with this behaviour that those folks who had tolerated his oddball behaviour for years simply decided they'd had enough of him.

And, of course, the car never got him a woman. No amount of shiny possessions can make you attactive tot he opposite sex if you're known for being a complete knob.

The reason I mention all this perilously off topic stuff is because it reminds me of one of the last exchanges I ever had with the guy. I remember warning him that he was alienating people with his antics, and that nobody cared about the things he owned. It was okay for him to take pleasure in them, but falling out with folks because they might have something on their person that could leave a stain on the upholstery was utterly stupid.

Things are things. If their perceived value isn't worth the cost, vote with your wallets, folks.

For me it's personal value of shows yes I've preordered the IS2 set but I know I will watch it before I decide as I will put my own personal value on it, I don't get how people can pay AoA prices for shows they haven't seen and don't have any clue if they will like.

Back