so no Nichijou this time :( (probably a long shot anyway - AL said they didn't have the licence when I asked on Twitter in August, though I hope they took in my my suggestion that they consider licencing it). These announcements have reminded me to check out some of these shows streaming on CR and Funi, though I probably won't buy them on disc.

Rakugo, Silver Spoon and A Silent Voice will all be high up on my want list.

4ad.gif

Will buy
Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
Joker Game
Silver Spoon
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Maybe buy
Ace Attorney

Everything I want is from AL as MVM & manga/animatsu announced nothing I want.

I reckon Nadesico and Utena are almost dead certs for Anime Ltd to pick up next year - given the Nozomi / Right Stuff connection already in place for Gundam. They're also totally they're *kind* of show to pick up too.

I have to admit the recent dominance of moe / slice of life shows for Manga UK does kind of baffle me, as for what I can imagine, they're not exactly the biggest of sellers compared to the fanservice heavy / action centric stuff that's usually Manga's bread and butter.

Although part of me thinks these days it's more a question of moe shows being Sentai's area of speciality - and Manga basically just being an outlet to release Sentai shows over here as Funi / Aniplex are off the table. Basically - the Sentai stuff is all that's left for them, outside of kids shows / legacy properties.

Yup I see them releasing Utena as well. Should be a gorgeous set as long as the committee aren't stupid. Can't wait. Gunbuster is also a matter of when and not if I'd imagine, Evangelion will show up after or around the release of the last Rebuild film or at the latest the 25th Anniversary,whichever comes first.

Didn't they say in the past that Gunbuster was a tricky one because of music licensing?

Also - does anyone know if MVM is still planning to announce any new licenses this weekend, or is it just those two new ones for them this time?

Regarding the lack of new Gundam nnouncements:
I guess but with Sunrise being unhappy with sales in the UK, it's pretty hard not to jump to conclusions really....

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the asking price for the shows has been too high. Both here and Stateside.

For the series to be truly accessible, I think each release could do with being a fair bit cheaper. I've seen lots of folks online complaining about what they perceive as a high asking price for the original series, and it's hard not to agree. It was made in the late 70s. It's already had several home video releases. And, sad to ay, for good or ill, those factors DO diminish the value of a product in the eyes of most casual consumers. Surely Sunrise have already made a tidy sum of money from it.

I can't shake the feeling that bones could have been thrown, there.

I'm disappointed that Mind Game wasn't announced but given that Princess Arete was, that kind of tells me that there was a package deal with that, the Genius Parties and Mind Game. Well, I hope so anyway but I'm fairly confident as Princess Arete doesn't feel like something AL would have licensed on its own. I seem to remember that there was a 5 disc collector's edition of Mind Game in Japan, so fingers crossed they're gonna try to match that.

Borrowing IncendiaryLemon's format:p

Will Definitely Buy:
  • Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale - Enjoyed Season 1 quite abit, still collecting Season 2 but will certainly aim to complete the collection.
  • Silver Spoon - One of the best series from 2013/14. I totally related to the main character and while I own the Aniplex DVDs I will buy what Anime Limited put out because of the upgrade to packaging and hopefully above all else the format upgrade to Blu Ray.
  • A Silent Voice - Based on a pretty popular manga, animated by KyoAni and Anime Limited always do great Film releases. Easy purchase.
  • Princess Arete - A very pleasing announcement. Never really expected a 2001 Studio 4c film to get picked up for the first time in 2016. I hope this is followed up by Mind Game eventually.
  • Joker Game - A show I'm very excited to eventually watch but I decided to wait for the dub. We don't know what Crunchyroll releases are going to be like yet but I could see something pretty amazing coming from AL for this so I currently plan to buy their version right now.
  • Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers - Delightful surprise, never thought I would get the chance to own this series after it ended up with PonyCan USA. This series changes quite dramitcally and certainly feels unfinished but what's here is enjoyable.
  • Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - Everyone loved this series while it aired and I plan to watch it before the year is out. I fully expect to enjoy it much the same as everyone else.
Might Buy
  • Evangelion 1.11 - I have the Funimation BDs of the first 2 rebuild films, I might go for the Anime Limited release if the packaging is nice.
  • March comes in like a Lion - I suspect I will enjoy this series but since it's so early I can't commit to a purchase right now.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - I borderline hated One Punch Man, the joke was boring and the comedy never made me laugh. But I'm aware my opinion is not common so I'm totally prepared to give Mob Psycho Pass a go, will certainly stream it first. Would love to like it but definitely a try before I buy.
  • Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - This has been one of the most delightful surprises for me in my anime viewing history. I'm leaning towards the Funimation sets to save space but now Anime Limited have both series I may have to jump on their releases.
  • Assassination Classroom S2 - Not seen anything of this franchise as yet. But I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it, just deciding whether to wait on a cheaper complete set down the line or not.
  • Dagashi Kashi - I loved this show, the humor, the artstyle, the characters and the fun lesson into Japanese penny sweets had me head over heels for this show. Only a might buy because I will probably end up with the Funimation release. Whatever happens this will definitely find a place in my collection.
  • Kiss Him, Not Me - The plot for the manga is pretty funny and I definitely will be checking out the Anime. I suspect I will buy this but not sure right now.
Pass
  • Ace Attorney - Never played the games so this is a show I will probably stream and thats it. Might surprise me but it's not in the plans to purchase right now.
  • Tenchi Muyo GXP - I've not dipped my toe in the Tenchi franchise at all yet but when I do this is certainly not where I would start. I only plan to get the 90's OVAs and Movies at somepoint right now.

I don't know - personally I don't think price is the issue with Gundam. Sure, maybe it'd sell a few more copies at a lower cost, but personally I think the price it's been sold at is very reasonable for the number of episodes you get.

Being a big Gundam fan, the unfortunate truth imo is that UC Gundam just isn't *popular* en masse in the West - it's a niche within the already existing niche of anime itself. It's old, it's retro - to most people, it looks dated. And any of the other UC shows set after that will probably sell less. The only Gundam shows I can really imagine selling more are Iron Blooded Orphans, Wing and SEED.

On another note, I think Princess Arete is a really strong pick for Anime Ltd - very much in the line of the kind of film I expect them to pick up. I caught it at the Japan Foundation earlier this year and it's really good - perhaps a tad on the long side and probably one of the slowest paced things I've ever seen, but it has an interesting aesthetic and very much an art-house feel to it.

SOME interesting announcement from AL. I say some because while there's a lot, there's not much I'm too interested in. They are as follows:

I look forward to seeing what they do with Silver Spoon and I am very happy that ASV will now have at least some kind of theatrical run.

So now we have everything announced I have to say it's been a pretty weak weekend for me with very few 100% buys :s basically nothing from MVM/Manga/Animatsu interest me and from Anime Limited the only 100% buys would be Assassination Classroom Season 2 and maybe Mob Psycho 100.

I'll probably end up re-buying Evangelion 1.11 if the sets nice enough but I have the UK and Japanese sets so meh (that said, my Japanese 2.22 set had the colours on the spine fade from the sunlight :( annoying...). A Silent Voice depends on how I like it at the cinema, and I'm probably gonna check out a stream of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu based on reactions in this thread, I also may check out Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers too (I think both are on Crunchyroll...)

I guess this comment makes it look like a better bunch of stuff than I actually feel it was, but really only 1 set is a 100% buy and it's the 2nd series to something and was obviously coming, pretty boring really. Ah well, we may get Katanagatari one day.....

There's probably valid cost reasons against it but I wonder if older Gundam wouldn't do better as complete series sets. AL's foresight with packaging works well splitting it into two but I think it might snag those on the fence if the asking price was for an entire vintage series in one hit. Then for more recent stuff/the stuff UK already familiar with they could do split shows as people would be more likely to support that.

Just spitballing. UK anime fans these days have surprised me with their support for older titles.

Quite a few good announcements there and few shows I haven't seen. I was hoping Manga would announce knights of Sidonia S2.

I will definitely buy Mob 100, Assassination Classroom S2, Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale and Beyond the Boundary movies.

I will probably buy Flying Witch, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, Dagashi Kashi, A Silent Voice and March Comes in Like a Lion.

I'm not too sure if I want to buy Evangelion 1.11, I have got the manga releases but If it's a very nice or if they announce they going to release all of the movies I will.

I haven't seen Silver Spoon, Girls Und Panzer and I only seen 1 ep of Shouwa Genroku Shinjuu. There seems to be quite a few people very happy that these will be getting released. I think most of them are on Crunchyroll so I'll probably try them out sometime soon.

Not that much for me to be honest.

Will Probably Buy
  • March Comes in like a Lion-I've rather enjoyed what I've seen of it so far (though I'm currently 2 episodes behind), so I'll probably definitely want it. AoA might not release it, and if they do, they'll likely cut the meatier stuff of the JP booklets out which will likely be in AL's release.
  • A Silent Voice-Definitely interested in this, and who knows if anyone in the US will get it. These days anime movies are seemingly getting licensed less over here, and even sequels are getting looked over (Ex: Date A Live: Mayuri Judgement, Sora no Otoshimono Final, Tamako Love Story).

Might Buy
  • Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu-Never got around to watching it, had been meaning to since it aired. Not sure how this one will go for me.
  • Evangelion 1.11-I already own FUNi's repackaged release (FUNi silently repackaged it (has same UPC as the original printing), it now comes in a not shiny slipcover in an amaray case, wrongly has the DVD logo on it, and is missing some extras), and I intend to import the Japanese release someday. Curious as to what AL could do to make me grab their release too as FUNi included the JP booklet content already in their release.
  • Princess Arete-Might give this a go, but I haven't seen it. Not too confident in blind-buying it atm.
  • Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale-I don't like S1 (I initially liked it until I realized how crappy it actually was midway through the simulcast), and I only liked the Mother's Rosario portion of S2. Not sure how much I'll like this. Also curious how AoA's release will compare to AL's, particularly with booklet content as AoA cuts so much of the good stuff out from their booklets.

Pass
  • Free!-I imagine FUNi will give that a PE here in the US as they get to make the packaging decisions and such in their distribution deal with CR. AL's release probably will look similar if they also get to do more than just discs in a case for their distribution deal, so I'll probably just grab the FUNi release.
  • Mob Psycho 100-One Punch Man bored me to tears in the 6 episodes I watched of it, and this being from the same creator doesn't give me much hope. I still have yet to watch it (2016 has been an awful year for me in terms of anime watching, wasted too much time doing other stuff), but I'll probably be just about as bored with it as I was with OPM.
  • Assassination Classroom 2-Season 1 of this bored me to tears, so absolutely no interest in this.
  • Kiss Him, Not Me!-I haven't yet started this, but I don't think this one will work that well for me.
  • Joker Game-Got only one episode in of this so far, but it didn't appeal to me much, eh.
  • Ace Attorney-Never played the games, and hardly any anime based off video games have turned out well. Doubt I'll like this one whenever I get around to trying it on CR.
  • Tenchi Muyo! GXP-Saw it on Toonami, it was absolutely HORRIBLE, and one of only six anime I've ever given a 1/10 on MAL, easy pass.*
  • Silver Spoon-I saw all of S1 and some of S2, never really got into this one. It being DVD-only from AoA was never an issue for me because I didn't have enough interest in buying it in the first place.
  • Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers-Saw a few episodes, it was decent but even at non-Ponycan USA prices I'm not interested in buying it.
  • Dagashi Kashi-Got two episodes in, got bored, probably won't like the rest of it, another easy pass.

The Manga Animatsu and MVM announcements are passes for me since I'm in the US, and their releases won't be that much more appealing than what we have here. I get interested in importing when there is a more appealing release elsewhere (I'm so jealous of what the UK has been getting through AL (and many others I know are too)). Though the Beyond the Boundary movies which are not yet licensed here probably will be passes for me since I didn't like the TV series much.

*For anyone curious, these are the only other anime I've given a 1/10 on MAL.
Bikini Warriors
Blast of Tempest (Actually 0/10)
Chrono Trigger OVA
Dai-Shogun
Eureka Seven AO (Actually -100/10, but MAL doesn't allow it)

As a reviewer for the site, I might as well list the titles I'm most interested in as I don't know which ones I'll need to buy and which ones I'll get for free.

* Free! (Blu-Ray - only got R1 DVD currently)
* Mob Psycho 100
* Assassination Classroom Season 2
* Kiss Him, Not Me!
* A Silent Voice
* Evangelion 1.11
* SAO: Ordinal Scale
* Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimension
* GITS: Stand Alone Complex OVA
* Beyond the Boundary Movies
* A Certain Magical Index/Scientific Railgun
* Girls und Panzer der Film

Back