General TV Discussion

I watched the first two episodes of Falling Skies on FX.

The first episode was terrible but the second was a lot better. However, I don't see how the series is going to maintain any quality in the long term without radically reconsidering the basic premise of the show which really sucks. The only reason the second episode was even any good was because they relegated the whole "fighting aliens" aspect to the background.

Started watching Weeds yesterday and I'm very impressed so far (6 episodes in). It's funny, but also a serious drama. Mary-Louise Parker is just great, also.

Oh, yay. I'm pretty much in love with that show right now. Watched a season a day a while ago. I forgot I was human, but it was so so wonderful. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more as it goes along like I did as opposed to people you think it drags a bit.

Similarly, going to watch the fourth season premiere of Breaking Bad tonight. I'm sure it's going to be mindblowing.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sAAirNeKWxQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sAAirNeKWxQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I liked that, and I like Beavis and Butthead but I can't help but think they such a product of the '90s. The JS clip was ******* hilarious though.

Also, Firefly is coming out on BD in the UK.

ilmaestro said:
If you watched Alibi more you couldn't possibly have missed out on Castle. Bun Channel 5.

I only have freeview. Though I only even know about Castle thanks to the alibi trailers on Dave :p so I was waiting for it to arrive on freeview.

Jaymii said:
I liked that, and I like Beavis and Butthead but I can't help but think they such a product of the '90s. The JS clip was **** hilarious though.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to this new series. I hope they also riff on music videos, not just other MTV shows.

As for the Firefly BD, it was announced the day after I found out there wasn't a UK release and complained on twitter :lol:

Jaymii said:
I liked that, and I like Beavis and Butthead but I can't help but think they such a product of the '90s. The JS clip was **** hilarious though.

I honestly don't think cultural eras mean anything any more. There is no 2010's culture - it's just a mish-mash of every era that went before to different degrees for each individual. We've come to the end of cultural history and I blame (thank? blame-thank?) the internet.

I like Firefly and will certainly buy the BD, but (without wishing to go all Chandler on your asses) could that Blu-ray bar be any more obtrusive?

ayase said:
Jaymii said:

I honestly don't think cultural eras mean anything any more. There is no 2010's culture - it's just a mish-mash of every era that went before to different degrees for each individual. We've come to the end of cultural history and I blame (thank? blame-thank?) the internet.

I like Firefly and will certainly buy the BD, but (without wishing to go all Chandler on your asses) could that Blu-ray bar be any more obtrusive?
That's most likely just for the Slipcover. The actual case won't have it.

However, I do agree that it's terrible :lol:

Paradox295 said:
On that note, who would be stupid enough to buy a boxset of all the HP films up to now knowing that there is going to be some crazy super edition set next year, or maybe even in time for Christmas?

ayase said:
Jaymii said:

#
You're waaaaaaay behind the band wagon of "the internet sucks" that I'm driving, but I don't know that you're correct quite yet - we'll have to wait until we can look back on the decade in context (especially in context of "what comes next") to see its true cultural relevance, or lack of same.

ayase said:
I'll let you have no 2010 culture, though I might be inclined to argue the mish-mash is the culture. Anyway, my point was about '90s culture. And they are products of that; B&B are observations of kids/teens in that setting and just watching them clips seem do dated, even down to the shakey '90s animation.

One programme I'm planning to watch next week is The Code, a mathematics documentary which is also holding an online competiton in which you have to try and crack a special code in order to win a prize.

One of things that people have been doing is trying to get clues by trying to find as many prime numbers around us up to 2011 (which is itself a prime number). The more that are posted online, the more clues are revealed. So I thought I'd help out with my manga collection.

Set phasers to adorable... #Castle.

354929026.jpg

Back