General TV Discussion

Max Takeshi said:
(A few episodes here and there were good, though).
Usually involved some Moffat contribution. :p

I didn't think the benefited from the location shooting enough, but then again, I'm never a fan of the way the show looks.

Game of Thrones is pretty good so far, I've not actually read any of the A song of ice and fire series though so I haven't much to compare it to.

The Shadow Line

I normally find crime shows dull (except for The Wire which was just harrowing) but this is good.

Gaiman episode of Doctor Who this Saturday!

Kirsty said:
Can't wait for Gaiman episode of DW :D

Neither can I. This looks like it'll show a new angle of the TARDIS.

I've just watched the final episode of Stargate Universe. No more Stargate shows on television but what a way to go out. The first series was dull in a lot of parts yet the effort they made in building up characters meant that when dramatic stuff happened it was gripping. The final episode was something of a fitting end (quite moving) and the music was beautiful.

That journey is over and I'd be sad but there are endless Stargate franchise repeats.

Gaiman episode of Doctor Who was brilliant. Big emotions, big action, drama and comedy – “Another Ood I failed to save.” Just great writing.

Episode 2 of the Shadow Line... Oh. My. Word. This is gripping crime drama. I loved the chase at the end.

Aha! To be a completionist I may as well bump with some other little tidbits that people may find interesting... (I've basically gone

NBC:
Have a weird selection of great looking shows that seem to belong on cable:

- Awake: Basically, Inception: The TV Series.
- The Playboy Club: Looks potentially fantastic if you like Mad Men and period pieces.
- Smash: My favourite one. It's about the the creation of a Broadway musical based on Marilyn Monroe. Could be the Glee for the Glee-haters.
- Grimm: By Angel co-creator, David Greenwalt. It looks like a messy guilty pleasure.
- Prime Suspect: Remake on the acclaimed British series.
- Free Agents: Another remake, based on the Channel 4 series. Stars Tony Head.

They also renewed Chuck for a fifth and final 13 episode season a while back.

CBS:
They do their procedural thing. Not much of huge interest apart from...

- Person Of Interest: Created by Jonathan Nolan, produced by JJ Abrams. Stars Michael Emerson (Benjamin Linus, Lost). Looks cool, if you like procedurals.

FOX:
Paradox basically posted all this, but trailers have been released since.

- Alcatraz: Stars Jorge Garcia, it could be good, could be awful. Mysterious drama set in the infamous prison.
- New Girl: Zooey Deschanel doing cute, quirky things.
- Terra Nova: Spielberg, Dinosaurs, Family drama. Looks like Avatar: The TV Series.
- Napoleon Dynamite (Animated): It's like Napoleon Dynamite: The Animated Series - huh?
- Allen Gregory (Animated): Strange show about a genius kid, like Stewie or Smart Guy, who goes back to attend elementary school. Jonah Hill voices.

ABC:
Sudsy stuff, but occasionally very awesome.

- Once Upon A Time: Real life fairy tale drama from Lost producers, starring Jennifer Morrison and Robert Carlyle. Weirdly looks better than it has to be.
- Charlie's Angels: This happened. Apparently. I doubt it'll last longer than a season, even if I like Minka Kelly.
- Apartment 23: Krysten Ritter (she rocks!) stars in this comedy with James Van Der Beek (Dawson Leery) as... himself. This is potentially the best comedy of the fall. Not sure if the trailer gives that away though.
- Suburgatory. Yeah. I think it looks quite dorky/cool, but not a great reception thus far. Alan Tudyk is in it.
- Pan Am: '60s set Grey's Anatomy-esque drama about stewardesses. Looks like a guilty pleasure if there ever was one.
- Last Man Standing: Looks like a throwback-y comedy. Tim Allen's return to TV. Yay?
- The River: Spielberg producing, from the Paranormal Activity guys. It looks like a normal one of them films but the fact its a television series is insanely interesting.

The CW:
Pretty people network that is slowly getting better and better at doing awesome stuff.

- Ringer: Great critical reception thus far, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar in playing two twin sisters and stuff. Looks to broaden the appeal of The CW a fair bit (which is expected since it was made for a CBS originally). Clip here and here.
- Hart of Dixie: Rachel Bilson vehicle co-created by the guy behind The O.C. and Chuck. Looks terrific -- if you're into a low-key small-town shows. She's also the prettiest doctor ever! Clip here
- The Secret Circle: Developed by The Vampire Diaries people as a companion piece, looks... interesting. Clips here and here.

(I love Upfronts! - All finished!)

Great post, Jaymii! My interest in TV shows is nearly returning, but I'm still not quite back into the swing of watching stuff weekly rather than on DVD... Rachel Bilson could convince me otherwise though!

Anyone watch Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle? I've been a big Stew fan ever since the first series (not long I know...) and I really enjoy his style. So far this series isn't quite as strong, though I'm glad he's done away with this sketches between segments, I found them generally unfunny in series 1, usually just expressing something he'd said visually.

Upfronts are over and I've updated my post with a variety of shows premiering in the 2011 - 2012 season. It's not all of the shows, but they are either 1) A show I like the look of 2) I think someone here might like or 3) So bad you need to know it exists.

Give some a look if you're bored. :)

Really? A couple of their shows (The Heart, She Holler and NTSF:SD:SUV) sound hilarious, and I'm not a Jay Z fan but I find him being there great: have a room full of critics and advertisers? Bring along a rap superstar! 'Cos... why not?

What were you expecting?

Jaymii said:
Really? A couple of their shows (The Heart, She Holler and NTSF:SD:SUV) sound hilarious, and I'm not a Jay Z fan but I find him being there great: have a room full of critics and advertisers? Bring along a rap superstar! 'Cos... why not?

What were you expecting?
Decent stuff? :lol:

The Heart, She Holler is pretty much a recycled idea (It's a soap spoof. Exactly like a previous [as] show, Rising Son, which only lasted 4 episodes)

However, Bob Odenkirk and Dan Harmon both have pilots in development, which should be good :D

Did anyone else see All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace? Really thought-provoking documentary, especially when it came to the subject of Ayn Rand.

Back