General Games Discussion

I hasn't felt short to me so far, but I don't mind my games a little short. I'm a busy fella :p MGR feels firm but fair. You can do pretty well on normal without dying fairly easily, but it might not be pretty, it makes you strive to be better, not so you don't die, but so you don't look like a fool.

MGR was weird,on the demo I got my butt handed to me by the wolf boss but when I got to it on the normal game I beat it without being hit........

Last edited by a moderator:
It ties into dudebros though. The only way a game is going to sell five million copies is if they go after dudebros hence DS2 & 3 being increasingly action orientated (also applies to Resident Evil 5 & 6 and O:RC). DS3, RE6 and Colonial Marines should be the point where companies go "well clearly this action stuff isn't working. Maybe we should work on trying to please horror fans, budget the games accordingly and forget about trying to make a horror game that's for people who think Muslim = terrorist." What'll actually happen is companies will go "well this action horror stuff is selling but not selling enough so we need to make it even more actiony! Call Gearbox and see if they'll make an Aliens game where you only fight Weland Yutani mercs."

Large swathes of the games industry has to realise that it's not just dudebros that are in possession of money, that it's not just dudebros who play games and that not everyone wants to play Hollywood style "war is a turn on where nothing bad happens to the good guys!" games. Look at Lionsgate in films; their big budget film is The Hunger Games but they also make films like Saw, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Hotel Rwanda, smaller budgeted films that won't bring in THG profits but they'll still make money because they've been budgeted accordingly. A lot of games companies however have this model of throwing a ton of money at a game that doesn't need it then needing it to be a COD killer in order for it to be profitable and that means diluting the formula to be as all inclusive as possible.

Large swathes of the industry has to change or next gen is going to be a slaughter.

Not really no. I want to have a pop at the misogynistic f*ckwits behind the "silence Anita Sarkeesian at all costs!" campaign, take a swing at the idea of war being some kind of sexual turn on being perpetuated by certain games, proffer up reasons as too why there's so few mainstream games with gay central characters, solve the Final Fantasy conundrum and if we've got time, save the PS4 from an early death.

Mutsumi said:
GRCC said:
and if we've got time, save the PS4 from an early death.

Bit bold to suggest that the PS4 is heading that way, considering how little is known about it. Care to elaborate?

Nah, I just put that in there for a joke. See you next year!

174856_103688826391961_7628528_n.jpg

At some point companies have to realise that they can't do always online DRM unless they're willing to offer an offline single player component.

Requiring players to be constantly online is the most counter-productive DRM strategy I've seen since Sony BMG's rootkit fiasco. By all means, require me to authenticate my game online once after each new install. But force me to remain connected to the internet and even hold some of the game resources on servers that I have to wait to be connected to if they're busy? If there's a patch (or even a third party crack) forthcoming that installs all the game resources on my local machine and allows me to play offline, I'll buy SimCity because the gameplay itself looks good. Until then, EA will get nothing out of me.

Edit: It gets better. "The servers we're forcing everybody to play on to make sure they bought the game can't cope! Stop selling the game!" I didn't think Heineken did karma.

Time to shamlessly plug my blog wooo. I actually wrote a piece on the issues hitting SimCity a couple days ago. It's gotten to the point that EA refuse to refund anyone who buys from origin, Polygon, the dreadful gaming media site dropped the review score twice on it, from 9.5 > 8 to finally 4. And the online marketting for the game has been removed by EA themselves. it's that bad.

Here's my blog post summarising a fair dose of it for any interested in reading up on it:

http://arbysarchive.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... bacle.html

EVERYONE. SHOCKING NEWS. Persona 4 Arena is now confirmed for May 10th. We also are getting a digital fan pack, the soundtrack and exclusive artwork. I believe though that the main issue is that after such a long wait for the game, we're being charged full price. though we need to wait and see. Apparently they have new news on the matter later.

What do we reckon, a tenner on Zavvi by the end of June? It's too little, too late for this game I think. If it ever shows up on Playstation Plus I might give it a go. It's not this game I care about but the precedent that PS3 region locking could set for future games.

I can see the nightmare scenario now. Atlus using the inevitable low sales of Persona 4 Arena as an excuse to just not even bother licensing the few titles they deem worthy for Europe out. They'll then region lock every future one of their titles, even on PS3 and Vita. After that they'll withdraw the upcoming UK release of Volume 3 of Persona 4 the Animation on Blu-ray, alllowing only a Betamax only release with the Japanese audio removed, the picture in black-and-white and the audio in Esperanto. In 2014 they'll change their minds and try again with a European re-release of Snowboard Kids on N64 via Zen United again. They'll then pull out of Europe once and for all when they wonder why the silly Europeans don't buy the game they graciously offered in the region.

Back