General Games Discussion

vashdaman said:
Jeeez and breadsticks, that is a sexy mofo! You'll be the manliest gamer on your block with that beaut!
Do you speak in jest?
UoRzy.png

On a related note, I have discovered a cache of MadCatz Wii sticks being vended from our most comprehensive traders' emporium. Whilst tantalising, one cannot help but be aggravated by the barrier presented by the need for an adapter.

vashdaman said:
Jeeez and breadsticks, that is a sexy mofo! You'll be the manliest gamer on your block with that beaut!
I replaced the stick and buttons of mine, but very deliberately kept the artwork.

Mutsumi said:
What are the benefits of using an arcade stick? Why do you personally prefer them over control pads? I've often been tempted by sticks, but having been a control pad user in fighting games for 20 years, will it be difficult to adjust?
People reckon it takes a few weeks to make the switch, but you would definitely be able to do it, despite your advancing years. :p

The benefits are much debated as some people are fully capable of ridiculously accurate control on a pad (I could cite examples from arguably the best 2D fighting game player in Europe playing on pad, to one of my local players being able to pull off the craziest combos in UMvC3 on one), but imo a lot more people find that the stick allows for more precise movements - the gate that the stick sits in and the microswitches on the stick and buttons are just technically higher quality and all-around more well made than regular pads, as long as you buy arcade-quality parts.

Presumably the kit is a bit more future-proof than it used to be too? With the current gen at it's climax, I'd hate to invest in good kit only to be unable to use it on the next machine.

And my 'advancing years' are, thankfully, not that advanced yet. I'd wager there's fewer than two years between us. ;)

I would say less than the tech being future-proof, the community is. At first people had to rely on plug-in converters to, say, use a PS2 stick on a PS3, and with the exception of a couple of models these weren't great as they introduced input lag. But what has happened in the last couple of years is far more people offering services to rewire (or even make from scratch) sticks so that 360 ones will work on PS3 too, for example. I would expect that to carry over to the "next gen", even if the controllers are not directly compatible.

Just read about Cherry Tree High Comedy Club on ANN. It's an "anime-style" adventure/simulation game out 27th April on PC and it sounds like a whole lot of fun. Thought I'd mention it here since there may be some interest and I can't be the only one who was unaware of its existence until now.

I do wish they wouldn't Westernise the characters' names, though.

I've had a stick for 2 years and I'm still better with a control pad. It annoys the pants off me. Some things are easier with sticks but I just can't get used to it. I haven't tried hard enough really though. I should do, since I went through all the pain of modding it, custom artwork and all. Who am I kidding, I had more fun doing that than using it...

Someone else read Eurogamer's review of Skullgirls, please, and tell me I'm not going crazy (refer to my comments under the review if you like). Incidentally, finally got to play Skullgirls in vs. mode today, and it's more fun than I was coming to expect.

So those new Vita colors coming soon to Japan: White...

And "Miku White". I need a new Vita already. :-/

Incidentally, anyone feel like buying a non-Miku Wifi Vita?

Trying to pump some life back into this thread a bit :p

I was trying to think of examples of games, where the sequel has improved upon the original BUT not made the original irrelevant.

I'm not talking story here but gameplay. I mean look at Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. The first one is good, but the second does everything the first one does and more, in a better, more fun way, making 1 basically obsolete. The same goes for 'Dead Rising'; 1 was awesome, but with the addition of combo weapons, less dumb survivors and a much larger area, DR2 totally eclipses the original.

I'm not saying these sequels make the first game worse, but if you think "I fancy a quick play on <game>" you're more likely to pop in the sequel than the original in these cases.

Hence why I put it to you guys if you can think of any sequels which don't make the previous game redundant (note, the sequel has to be good, I'm not looking for games where the sequel is worse :p)

A couple of examples I thought of:

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Both great games, but 3 doesn't stop 2 being fun to play, because they are set in completely different eras and use different tactics to get by.

Resident Evil 4 and all previous Resis. Because of the shift in gameplay, 4 is still as much fun to play as the classic ones.

Just a note for anyone who has pre-ordered RE6 on play.com FOr some reason my vanilla RE6 pre-order got changed into a steelbook order, which I did not want, so I had to cancel and re-order. Just warning if anyone has done the same.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Just a note for anyone who has pre-ordered RE6 on play.com FOr some reason my vanilla RE6 pre-order got changed into a steelbook order, which I did not want, so I had to cancel and re-order. Just warning if anyone has done the same.

I think I'll be giving RE6 a miss. Got all the big box RE games so far but with the shift to 1st person shooter territory (a genre I'm not keen on) I'll save my money for something else (maybe I'll look into getting a 3DS and getting the RE game on that instead).

Decided a new topic wasn't worth placing for this, so here we go.

The Steam Summer Sale started today, and instead of just doing the usual daily deals, they've spiced it up somewhat to take even more of our monoes. They've put on deals which expire every 6 hours, 8 hours and 12 hours, as well as the daily deals you get. You can also do a vote once every 8 hours to decide between three deals you'd like to see. So basically, they've gone all out.

My brother and I also noticed this Badge system they put in place earlier as well, which you seem to get rewarded with for certain things, being with steam for so long, buying in the christmas sale, etc. Not sure what they are for just yet, but we'll see as time goes on.

Terraria, Portal collection and Saints Row the Third are all on deal at the moment, buy them, i command it.

I picked up Darksiders this morning while it was on the flash deal, and i picked up Warlock: Master of the Arcane yesterday. But yeah, i'm keeping my eyes open for as much as i can.

You should go and buy The Binding of Isaac alongside it's expansion now, it's £1.73 for all of it including the soundtrack and is by the Edward Mcmillen, the man behind Super Meat Boy. It's glorious.

I've been away in a place with no internet and yet I've still managed to get:

Deus Ex Missing Link
Both Ys games
Witcher 2
Back to the Future
Tribes Ascent starter pack.

My friends know me far too well. Half of that stuff wasn't even on my wishlist and yet I still wanted them...And now i'm home in full control of my wallet.

This can only end steamsale.

Steam Sales...dangerous time of the year for me, as I tend to 'stock' up on games and spend...well...way too much without meaning to.
So far I've already spend far more than I wanted to on Witcher 2 for the ladyfriend I'm seeing; Alan Wake and Dead Island as I'd been meaning to grab these for a while.

So thats already more than I wanted to spend, and we're not even half way there yet. I've got a horrid suspicion if more games I want come up with big money offs this may once again be an extremely painful £100+ sale.

Back