General Games Discussion

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
I know we have the "what games are you playing" thread which is good for currently released games, but I figured it made sense to have a thread like the news thread instead of several fragmented topics that get orphaned fast unless it's a game of some significance.

Anyway the main reason I made this was for the RE6 announcement, which promises 3 playable characters at minimum: Chris, Leon and a new guy with mad kung fu skills, which is a bit mental but whatever. Ada has also purportedly been confirmed in an IGN article.

Better yet, it's out this year!

Trailer here

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmC1lZeQad4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BmC1lZeQad4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I think that Leon and Chris seem to have different playstyles is a good choice, seems a good way to balance the action and horror, with Chris as the head of a counter-bioterrorism unit, BSAA still I guess, and Leon playing more like he did in RE4. Ashley also seems to make an appearance in the trailer.

I was sceptical with the trailer, then i saw it. I missed the announcement at 10 due to work, but it was worth the wait. The trailer was filled with quite the mix, and to be honest, it's quite an ambitious move for Capcom to make. 3 locations, 3 storylines, all coming together and only 10 months away? Either they've been working on it for some time under wraps or, i dunno. Regardless. Leon actually looks pretty cool, the rugged look suits his role in the game(or so it seems). Chris is playing the role of the one to confuse us in trailers again too, hah. I expect i know who "she" is as well, but hey. That new character, i feel is pretty obvious to recognise. The dialogue around him was enough to give it away(i could be wrong), but i expect it could be Alex Wesker, will make sense if you play the DLC from RE5.

I wanted Rebecca Chambers. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK CAPCOM. Unless the lass beside mysterious character x is her, sounded similar in VA. Probably getting my hopes up though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how Capcom brought Ashley back who wasn't even really all that relevant but no Claire, HUNK OR Sherry. This is Chris' FIFTH game and Leon's third (Fourth if you could RE:Gaiden) I'm happy for some new characters but I honestly just want Claire back, Leon and Chris are so dull.

The director of RE6 also directed Outbreak 1 and 2. Looks good but it doesn't look like Resident Evil.

Arbalest said:
I was sceptical with the trailer, then i saw it. I missed the announcement at 10 due to work, but it was worth the wait. The trailer was filled with quite the mix, and to be honest, it's quite an ambitious move for Capcom to make. 3 locations, 3 storylines, all coming together and only 10 months away? Either they've been working on it for some time under wraps or, i dunno. Regardless. Leon actually looks pretty cool, the rugged look suits his role in the game(or so it seems). Chris is playing the role of the one to confuse us in trailers again too, hah. I expect i know who "she" is as well, but hey. That new character, i feel is pretty obvious to recognise. The dialogue around him was enough to give it away(i could be wrong), but i expect it could be Alex Wesker, will make sense if you play the DLC from RE5.

I wanted Rebecca Chambers. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK CAPCOM. Unless the lass beside mysterious character x is her, sounded similar in VA. Probably getting my hopes up though.

Nyaha! Yes I thought that could be the case too, it's also one of the few ways to explain his combat prowess with no weapons against zombies and BOWs. There's also the part where maybe-Ashley stabs him with a stim like the one used on the aforementioned.

Lupus said:
I like how Capcom brought Ashley back who wasn't even really all that relevant but no Claire, HUNK OR Sherry. This is Chris' FIFTH game and Leon's third (Fourth if you could RE:Gaiden) I'm happy for some new characters but I honestly just want Claire back, Leon and Chris are so dull.

The director of RE6 also directed Outbreak 1 and 2. Looks good but it doesn't look like Resident Evil.

Well, we still don't know for sure Claire's not in it, it could be waiting for a big reveal later on like Jill in 5. Plus she did get screentime in Resi Degeneration where it's made clear she's more of a peaceful activist now, not a combatant like Chris or Leon.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that RE6's announcement is exactly how I think games should be announced and have thought so for years. A surprise announcement out of nowhere with the game releasing the same year, builds hype that doesn't die before it comes out and saves agonising waits. Compare with MGR:R which was announced in 09 and still has no firm release date, just a wobbly-looking 2012TBC.

RE6 is a good show for how announcements should be, yeah for sure. However it was still a dodgy series of events leading to it regardless. Back at TGS last year, there was the apparent behind closed doors logo and reveal date for it, though the reveal date turned out bogus next to the logo. The China bit however, was confirmed as the next resident evil focus a few months back, but that is the internet for you, it will always catch onto something.

On another note, Soul Calibur V is nearly out and the talk of hidden characters has hit peak. If what is being said is true, we have 3 mimics, no Talim, no Yun Seong, no Zasalamel, and many others. Not only that, but the 3 mimics you will recognise too. It's a bit sad they went down that route, they could easily have filled the spots with other characters, but obviously they didn't want to do that. DLC could bring some characters back, but i'm not that big on the roster at the moment, specially considering my main is not in there, and i don't fancy Devil Jin as a Create a Soul Character either.

Arbalest said:
RE6 is a good show for how announcements should be, yeah for sure. However it was still a dodgy series of events leading to it regardless. Back at TGS last year, there was the apparent behind closed doors logo and reveal date for it, though the reveal date turned out bogus next to the logo. The China bit however, was confirmed as the next resident evil focus a few months back, but that is the internet for you, it will always catch onto something.

On another note, Soul Calibur V is nearly out and the talk of hidden characters has hit peak. If what is being said is true, we have 3 mimics, no Talim, no Yun Seong, no Zasalamel, and many others. Not only that, but the 3 mimics you will recognise too. It's a bit sad they went down that route, they could easily have filled the spots with other characters, but obviously they didn't want to do that. DLC could bring some characters back, but i'm not that big on the roster at the moment, specially considering my main is not in there, and i don't fancy Devil Jin as a Create a Soul Character either.

I have to complement them on Ezio as choice for guest character though. He actually fits the bill somewhat without looking too out of place.

Mutsumi said:
Who is your main?

I've always played Seong Mina since Soul Blade. I realise some say she is the clone of Kilik, but after playing her for so long, i really don't agree. I guess ok she'd be 40 by the timeline, but still. Having someone even related to her would've been nice in the game.

Lupus said:
Soul Calibur 5. Oh lawd. The game with nothing new at all.

Except for the new characters and the changes to the game play since 4.

Large changes to the series staple game play have been made for Soulcalibur V. The "Critical Finishes" of the previous game are no more, as is the Soul Gauge. Armor remains destructible but no longer has an indicator showing when it will break. A new gauge has been introduced that works similarly to the "super meters" found in other fighting games. Charging this meter in combat allows the characters to execute "Brave Edge" and "Critical Edge" attacks (progressively more powerful strikes that also require more meter to execute).
In addition to the 8 Way Run (introduced in the first Soulcalibur title), characters can now briskly sidestep around their opponent by double-tapping up or down.
The Guard Impact feature of the previous Soul series titles has been altered, now requiring holding away from the opponent and pushing horizontal slash, vertical slash, and kick together (as opposed to forward and guard). The Guard Impact will now repel any unblockable attack regardless of height, removing the need to anticipate the attack height of the aggressor. Guard Impacts require a segment of the Critical Meter to execute. Parries have been removed from the engine entirely.
A new defensive maneuver called "Just Guard" replaces the traditional Guard Impact technique. Using guard at the precise moment of an opponent's attack will result in a 'perfect' guard and considerably shorten the amount of delay that the character must wait before retaliating. This will allow players to respond to attacks quickly and with less consequence than a missed Guard Impact of previous installments (as mistiming a Guard Impact would not protect the character whereas a missed Just Guard will still provide defense without the advantage).
Ring Outs now add an extra layer of depth on certain stages, as knocking an opponent from the ring will result in both characters falling down into a new arena to continue the fight.
Character Creation has returned in his game, but with a vast amount of improvements. This time, the player can alter the height of the character, like in Broken Destiny. The player can also alter separate body parts, give facial effects, and do more improvement on editing clothing, and voicing. The player can also change the color of the weapons and effects of the weapon. There are several other fun features as well. Among the original characters' fighting styles that players will be able to choose from, players will also be able to choose the fighting style of Devil Jin from the Tekken series, a style only exclusive to character customization mode as well as Katsuhiro Harada, the director of the Tekken series, who cameos as a non-playable character in Soulcalibur V's Quick Match mode.

Arby, those who say she is a clone of Kilik are fools, seeing as she came first. If anything, Kilik is the one copying some of her style.

Capcom to make. 3 locations, 3 storylines

Uh oh, this does not fill me with hope.

For me Resi was always at it's best when it was one solid location, that you got to know very well over the course of the game, and from a single perspective so to keep the tension consistent. Resi 2 worked very well, but that's because both characters were stomping the same ground and so the story and puzzles were interweaving nicely, but there weren't really different locations or vastly different perspectives.

I believe Capcom tried this multiple character/location design with the recent 3DS game. And what I've heard about that one so far, seems to confirm my worries were well founded :(

I'm sorry, but as far as I can see, Resi is destined to continue it's plummeting downward spiral. I knew this inevitable ever since 5 was released.

vashdaman said:
Capcom to make. 3 locations, 3 storylines

Uh oh, this does not fill me with hope.

For me Resi was always at it's best when it was one solid location, that you got to know very well over the course of the game, and from a single perspective so to keep the tension consistent. Resi 2 worked very well, but that's because both characters were stomping the same ground and so the story and puzzles were interweaving nicely, but there weren't really different locations or vastly different perspectives.

I believe Capcom tried this multiple character/location design with the recent 3DS game. And what I've heard about that one so far, seems to confirm my worries were well founded :(

I'm sorry, but as far as I can see, Resi is destined to continue it's plummeting downward spiral. I knew this inevitable ever since 5 was released.

Everyone really hates 5 huh? lol. I really liked it, but then 4 is my favourite Resi so I probably would. It was something entirely new to the series to have it set in a warmer climate and while it had some questionable aspects which detracted from the solidity of 4's gameplay, it was still fun and the Wesker fight was awesome. (the one on the ship I mean, not the last one).

I do agree with what you say about 1 location though. Even 4 was essentially the same location, it just removed most of the backtracking. However, while it's 3 locations that's one per character so each will probably consistently remain in their respective locales, maybe coming together at the end or something.

I don't think it will be as good as 4 but I think 6 will definitely be better than 5.

No, I didn't hate 5, and I think it would hard for anyone to deny the fact it's a good game. But I just thought it was unispired on the whole and just serves the purpose of making Resi 4 look even better in hindsight (and resi 4 isn't even my favourite). I felt the complete emphasis on action also sucks the majority of the atmosphere out of the game. I guess it felt like a bigger let down due to the fact it's the sequel to 4 (as opposed to say, code veronica). But unfortunately, nothing Capcom has done since has reassured me that they plan to get the series back on track. That's not to say I'm counting out 6 just yet, by any means, though.

ilmaestro said:
Lupus said:
Soul Calibur 5. Oh lawd. The game with nothing new at all.
Err... have you followed anything at all to do with the game?

I have one major problem with SCV to be fair. They've taken out a lot of characters which could easily have a place, but they may include them as DLC. But we now know for 100% definite that 3 characters are pure mimics. Kilik is in as a mimic, not as his usual style, he plays as the male characters, Elysium who looks a bit like Sophitia does the female styles, and edgemaster, who does all and that, is the problem. You have this fairly sizeable and ambitious character roster and you make 3 of them mimics? It could be a sign of time restrictions? I just hope we don't find all the other characters on the disk when someoe decides to data-mine the things, then they turn out to be on the disk DLC. I would rage.

The three mimic characters are pretty disappointing on the surface of it, but compared to all the other characters and the system changes, it's a very small part.

At least they are three different types of mimic, thus distinguishing them from each other in terms of gameplay.

I reckon the missing characters will turn us as either DLC, or perhaps they are included, but just not yet announced, and that they will be unlockable? Who knows...

There is only two more gaps in the roster, one is confirmed, the other might have been, but i forget about it. They have a tekken player as a CAS character too. So one more to really figure out. Bar that, yeah they could easily include them as DLC. I will be ok with this, provided they don't have them on the disk at launch. Then it just would be money whoring, and i'll probably just leave the title entirely

Remember what they did with the SC3 character select screen for all those extra characters? The number of available slots need not be a limitation.

But I cannot see them using that option here. Very surprised at the lack of Zasalamel. He was the only scythe user, so that is an entire style lost. Ditto Yun Seong and the curved sword style. We'll just have to see what they do.

Back