General Games Discussion

vashdaman said:
No, I didn't hate 5, and I think it would hard for anyone to deny the fact it's a good game. But I just thought it was unispired on the whole and just serves the purpose of making Resi 4 look even better in hindsight (and resi 4 isn't even my favourite). I felt the complete emphasis on action also sucks the majority of the atmosphere out of the game. I guess it felt like a bigger let down due to the fact it's the sequel to 4 (as opposed to say, code veronica). But unfortunately, nothing Capcom has done since has reassured me that they plan to get the series back on track. That's not to say I'm counting out 6 just yet, by any means, though.

Mm, that's a fair comment. I felt like the earliest stages were the strongest, in the african village, I suppose because it was like an african RE4 in many ways, the cabin siege all over again. THe more Indy style mid section was a bit flabby and not very resi, I'll grant you, but the Wesker fights made up for it, save the disappointing volcano finale. I did rather like the turret section, even though there are too many in games these days. It managed to feel exciting and worthwhile, though the gigante was a bit odd, I mean all you did was hold the trigger for that really, but the bikes and trucks were fun.

For reference my ranking goes 4>5=Remake>2>0>3>CV

I REALLY don't like CV much at all. I think the plot is mad and the game itself is not that fun. 3 is a good concept but I found it insanely frustrating on normal and only marginally less so on easy with the infinite ink ribbon. 0 is in between, it's not bad but I don't love it either. 2 Is the best of the classic resis, with a bunch of great environments and iconic monsters, REmake is just a much better version of 1 in the classic mansion setting, but draws with 5 simply because I really do massively prefer that gameplay style and the lack of ink ribbon bollocks (though RE4's save system was perfect I though) and then 4 tops.

I've just realised that 2012 is probably going to be Resi's biggest year yet. 3 videogame releases (Operation Raccoon City, Revelations, 6) and two films (Retribution and Damnation, assuming that latter makes its release date...)

No, I haven't checked into Soul Calibur V like most have, but it's not like the series is even good anyway.

Also RE4&5 higher up than REmake? :X

Lupus said:
No, I haven't checked into Soul Calibur V like most have, but it's not like the series is even good anyway.

Also RE4&5 higher up than REmake? :X

Yes! >=[ :p I'm not a big fan of the classic style, not because of the controls, not because of the environments, but because of DAT ****ING SAVE SYSTEM! I HATE IT! It sucks a load of fun out of the game for me and it means you need to set aside a good hour to feel like you've accomplished something before you save... Any game that kicks you back to your last save if you die should at least give you the proper means to save and not make you hunt around for damn ink ribbons. At least they're relatively easy to come by I guess...

Plus 4 and 5 are just more fun to play as far as I'm concerned, the laser-sight targeting is brilliant. The bosses also require a bit more strategy than "run away, then quickturn and shoot." As for 5... I'm sort of iffy on where that stands, I elevate it because of the early levels and the Wesker parts and general gameplay but there are some less good bits to be sure, it's more that the save system of the old games really brings them down for me. Plus, while the co-op was much reviled in some circles, it's a lot of fun to play with buds in splitscreen.

Lupus said:

So what would you say is a good weapons-based 3D fighting game then, mr thinks-if-he-doesn't-like-it-it-must-be-crap?

The Soul Calibur series is a very good series. If you think otherwise, you are incorrect.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Plus 4 and 5 are just more fun to play as far as I'm concerned
More fun but not horror games. RE Revelations is mixing both together though and the demo was pretty decent, I don't have high expectations for it but I'll be there day one.

Mutsumi said:
So what would you say is a good weapons-based 3D fighting game then, mr thinks-if-he-doesn't-like-it-it-must-be-crap?

The Soul Calibur series is a very good series. If you think otherwise, you are incorrect.
There isn't really a "good" one but of course Spam Calibur is a pretty good substitute.

Also it's not okay for me to say Soul Calibur is bad but it's okay for you to say Trophies are better than Achievements? When they're both essentially the same thing regardless of how much you try and sugarcoat it.

Mutsumi said:
Lupus said:

If i'm being fair. Soul Calibur went a bit mediocre with the 4th game, though i hear Broken Destiny did improve some parts of it, though i never did play that one. SCV has potential, and the combat seems better in terms of flow, but i still have doubts, some i've mentioned here, and some which i'll be able to cover better when i get my hands on it.

On another side of things. For MMO players who want another title to try, apparently the Guild Wars 2 Beta is meant to get underway in march/april, can't remember if it was said to be closed or not, probably is. And the release has been set for this year. So that will be good, to get a proper free to play in there(bar for first time purchase)
EDIT: press beta is in february, larger and more ramped up public beta opens in march/april.

Lupus said:
There isn't really a "good" one but of course Spam Calibur is a pretty good substitute.
Incorrect.

Lupus said:
Also it's not okay for me to say Soul Calibur is bad but it's okay for you to say Trophies are better than Achievements? When they're both essentially the same thing regardless of how much you try and sugarcoat it.
Correct. And yes, while they may be essentially the same thing, Trophies presents the same information in a more informative way, thanks to platinum trophies. If Achievements introduced the same thing, ie a little number by your gamerscore showing how many 1000/1000 you have, then they would both be equally good.

Except you can get Platinum trophies without getting 100% on a game and easily by-passing what you've just said.

Also, enjoy Scamco's latest masterpiece.

Lupus said:
Except you can get Platinum trophies without getting 100% on a game and easily by-passing what you've just said.

Also, enjoy Scamco's latest masterpiece.

1. No, you cannot.

2. It is spelled 'Namco', you muppet. Your spelling really goes downhill when you are trolling. :/

Mutsumi said:
Lupus said:

I hope you see the irony and post anyway to amuse others Mutsu, I really do. :lol:

Lupus said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Plus 4 and 5 are just more fun to play as far as I'm concerned
More fun but not horror games. RE Revelations is mixing both together though and the demo was pretty decent, I don't have high expectations for it but I'll be there day one.

I never claimed I was creating a definitive list :p It's just my personal favourites ranking from most favourite to least. REmake is the best Resident Evil game no doubt in terms of "trueness" to the series ideals, concepts and style, but that doesn't stop me finding 4 and 5 more fun.

Mostly, ayase, mostly. Autocorrect tries to change you to Aussie btw. XD

The general sentiment of my argument still stands though, which is not to berate things in such an ignorant manner. Such behaviour is chav-like.

^ Not really. I'd just say, internet nerd-like. Which is exactly the behaviour I plan to engage in regarding Sparrows statement..

*shrieks* 5 better than remake and 2! Heresy! I can accept 4's position, but...bu..but 5?

Does anyone know why they are already advertising resi 6 on TV, when it doesn't come out for another ten months? Seems a bit pointless.

vashdaman said:
^ Not really. I'd just say, internet nerd-like. Which is exactly the behaviour I plan to engage in regarding Sparrows statement..

*shrieks* 5 better than remake and 2! Heresy! I can accept 4's position, but...bu..but 5?

Does anyone know why they are already advertising resi 6 on TV, when it doesn't come out for another ten months? Seems a bit pointless.

They are pushing it VERY hard, it's got a banner Youtube ad and everything and those things must cost a bundle. Also read again, I said 5 was equal to REmake :p They both have things the other lacks, some kind of mish mash of the two would be ideal.

RE6s' advertising campaign literally started the minute the announcement was made. It was a bit ridiculous. They are releasing a ton-load of info as well as quickly as they can. The main thing i'm waiting to get a reply to, and i hope i do, is the time frame. Some are saying it's 10 years after racoon city, placing it in 2008, but they say it's 10 years AND in 2013. Erm..contradictory much? Also, It's not ashley with "character x", it's apparently Sherry Birkin. So yeah.

Anyone notice Biowares latest attempt for sales? The figure sets they are releasing for Mass Effect come equipped with DLC codes for Mass Effect 3. All 8 figures, working out at about $139 in total for all 8, with DLC. most expensive DLC, yet some dumb fool is going to buy em. Apparently they have something similar for the multiplayer stuff too. It's a bit sad

Personally, I am strictly enforcing a 'no buy DLC' rule for myself. I find the idea of paying for what should be included in the game to be ridiculous.

Admittedly I don't actually have my console set up to the internet, but even if I did I wouldn't.

Fortunately no-one with a brain is interested in Mass Effect's multiplayer, so the only people who get burned there will be idiots anyway. I would surprised, although not shocked I suppose, to see them ever go that route for "real" DLC.

I also thought the TV ads for Resi 6 were/are a bit stupid. Maybe Capcom forgot to check their calendars. When my buddy told me he saw it I assumed he meant there was an ad for Revelations.

As for the setting of Resi 6, I would have thought it was after 5 which was set in 2009? But surely not too long after, 2013 sounds quite late.

Hmm. It's probably because setting a game in a period that was considerable time ago (ie. anything up the the late 90's) could be considered kind of cool, but setting a game a couple of years ago in 2009 just feels kinda strange and a little bit lame as 09 isn't retro cool yet. I doubt story consistency bothers Capcom much.

vashdaman said:
Hmm. It's probably because setting a game in a period that was considerable time ago (ie. anything up the the late 90's) could be considered kind of cool, but setting a game a couple of years ago in 2009 just feels kinda strange and a little bit lame as 09 isn't retro cool yet. I doubt story consistency bothers Capcom much.

They've always kept the timeline accurate. That's the thing, why change it now? It's even in RE5, with the timeline explaining everything up to about the 1960s and having raccoon city has 1998. They will get raged at hard if they decided to push it up to 2003, just so RE6 is 10 years later

True, but I guess I just don't put anything past Capcom anymore (didn't they try that dogdy save thing in Mercenaries to reduce second hand sales?).

Back