General Games Discussion

ayase

State Alchemist
A friend was enthusing about Skyrim and it and it made me long for those experiences again, so I thought I'd load it up and start a new game. Steam informed me it needed to perform what it called a "game content conversion" which apparently required a "few minutes" time. So far it's been running for half and hour and has just started downloading what appears to be a MASSIVE quantity of data. I don't know exactly how much, what it is downloading and for what purpose or how long it's going to take, because it won't let me look. I receive only the annoying bell sound when I try to click anything (I don't think a noise has filled me with such murderous rage since the Windows 98 error noise) I can't stop the process and I'm concerned I'll screw something up if I force quit out of Steam.

I didn't used to mind these digital distribution platforms. I thought they were the future, keeping everything organised and up to date. Now with my unplayable Mass Effect 3 on Origin and having to put up with this utter ******** on Steam, I've decided I F*CKING HATE THEM. I no longer get to choose when I play my games orwhen to install patches (if at all). It was quicker to load up a sodding Spectrum tape than wait for these mandatory updates. I've had no choice but to relinquish control to a higher but also stupider and more controlling authority than myself - it's depressingly like society.

Good luck getting me to part with any cash for your games in the future, publishers. Since next-gen consoles are very likely to take players rights away by locking games to specific machines and forcing them to pay full whack for brand new copies, I'm going back to spending my time and money on Warhammer 40k instead. At least I know I can play whenever I want to without having to sign a licence agreement every time I open a new box of miniatures, having to wait several hours for a pot of paint to be brought up to date and can return faulty items without having to deal with technical support staff who barely understand English and are obviously instructed to deny that problems are in any way the fault of the people who are actually to blame.

Bye computer gaming. It's been a fun couple of decades.

Edit: This is pathetic. Two hours. 30% completed. Download speed averaging 600kbps. WHAT IS IT DOING!?

Edit 2: Six hours. Whatever it was doing is finally done. Now I have to play in my sleep deprived state just to spite them.

Mangaranga

Za Warudo
So I have two Zavvi codes (10%/11%) and I have worked out I have enough spare money this month to get a game, the question is which one?

Metal Gear Rising or Ni No Kuni?

GRCC

Brigade Leader
Ni No Kuni if you've got time to burn, MGR if you fancy feeling like the baddest man on the planet (if you start on hard).

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
I hasn't felt short to me so far, but I don't mind my games a little short. I'm a busy fella :p MGR feels firm but fair. You can do pretty well on normal without dying fairly easily, but it might not be pretty, it makes you strive to be better, not so you don't die, but so you don't look like a fool.

Ranger Ryu

Kiznaiver
MGR was weird,on the demo I got my butt handed to me by the wolf boss but when I got to it on the normal game I beat it without being hit........

Last edited by a moderator:

GRCC

Brigade Leader
It ties into dudebros though. The only way a game is going to sell five million copies is if they go after dudebros hence DS2 & 3 being increasingly action orientated (also applies to Resident Evil 5 & 6 and O:RC). DS3, RE6 and Colonial Marines should be the point where companies go "well clearly this action stuff isn't working. Maybe we should work on trying to please horror fans, budget the games accordingly and forget about trying to make a horror game that's for people who think Muslim = terrorist." What'll actually happen is companies will go "well this action horror stuff is selling but not selling enough so we need to make it even more actiony! Call Gearbox and see if they'll make an Aliens game where you only fight Weland Yutani mercs."

Large swathes of the games industry has to realise that it's not just dudebros that are in possession of money, that it's not just dudebros who play games and that not everyone wants to play Hollywood style "war is a turn on where nothing bad happens to the good guys!" games. Look at Lionsgate in films; their big budget film is The Hunger Games but they also make films like Saw, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Hotel Rwanda, smaller budgeted films that won't bring in THG profits but they'll still make money because they've been budgeted accordingly. A lot of games companies however have this model of throwing a ton of money at a game that doesn't need it then needing it to be a COD killer in order for it to be profitable and that means diluting the formula to be as all inclusive as possible.

Large swathes of the industry has to change or next gen is going to be a slaughter.

GRCC

Brigade Leader
Not really no. I want to have a pop at the misogynistic f*ckwits behind the "silence Anita Sarkeesian at all costs!" campaign, take a swing at the idea of war being some kind of sexual turn on being perpetuated by certain games, proffer up reasons as too why there's so few mainstream games with gay central characters, solve the Final Fantasy conundrum and if we've got time, save the PS4 from an early death.

Mutsumi

Guild Member
GRCC said:
and if we've got time, save the PS4 from an early death.
Bit bold to suggest that the PS4 is heading that way, considering how little is known about it. Care to elaborate?

GRCC

Brigade Leader
Mutsumi said:
GRCC said:
and if we've got time, save the PS4 from an early death.
Bit bold to suggest that the PS4 is heading that way, considering how little is known about it. Care to elaborate?
Nah, I just put that in there for a joke. See you next year!

GRCC

Brigade Leader
At some point companies have to realise that they can't do always online DRM unless they're willing to offer an offline single player component.

ayase

State Alchemist
Requiring players to be constantly online is the most counter-productive DRM strategy I've seen since Sony BMG's rootkit fiasco. By all means, require me to authenticate my game online once after each new install. But force me to remain connected to the internet and even hold some of the game resources on servers that I have to wait to be connected to if they're busy? If there's a patch (or even a third party crack) forthcoming that installs all the game resources on my local machine and allows me to play offline, I'll buy SimCity because the gameplay itself looks good. Until then, EA will get nothing out of me.

Edit: It gets better. "The servers we're forcing everybody to play on to make sure they bought the game can't cope! Stop selling the game!" I didn't think Heineken did karma.