General Games Discussion

Ath

Pokémon Master
Glad they reversed the decision. The last thing Nintendo need right now is even more bad PR, so it was a very short-sighted move.

Y-San

Shinki
Welp, I bought Mario and Luigi : Dream Team on Friday and so far I've played about five hours, not sure if I'll be able to do much more though, it's really a bit of a snoozefest. The first four hours of the game are basically a tutorial for the rest of the game and to be blunt, it's pretty damn boring. "Press A to jump" I'm told about 10 minutes into the game, which is followed by screeds and screeds of dialogue about the aspects of jumping and timing, something that was swiftly summarised on the instruction card inside the game box.

Things like this actually want to make me take a hammer to the game, it's completely unnecessary and extremely tedious and disappointingly unskippable. When you're finally given the option to skip the battle tutorial, the player is given lip by one of the side characters, which has a rather grating effect. Sorry for knowing how the game plays, it's not as if the gameplay mechanics have changed radically from the previous three iterations. And even the new mechanics involving Dreamy Luigi are pretty self explanatory, assuming you have half a brain (or read the instruction manual), so why the game feels the need to cover every aspect in such detail to a point that it actually becomes ridiculous, I don't know.

If Alpha dream had spent more focusing on the gameplay and less on the graphics, the game might actually play better but both the gameplay (hindered by tutorials for about several hours and effectively unchanged) and story (moves at a snails pace) play second fiddle to the pretty sprites and sounds.

In itself, the game plays fine, it's just far too simplified and uninteresting to make it worthwhile. I realise the Mario & Luigi games weren't exactly the most challenging of RPGs but when we've reached a point that the enemies don't re spawn after being KO'd, I can't help but feel that something is very wrong.

People would do well to stay away from this game if you've played any of the previous in the series, it's more of the same but much less enjoyable. I can only assume there was a reason for the lack of reviews prior to release.

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
I know the Steam sale just finished, but the Ys games are 66% off atm for midweek madness... go buy them if you haven't already, at least Oath in Felghana.

Ath

Pokémon Master
Gaaaah Bravely Default has been delayed to 2014 in Europe. I knew 2013 was too good to be true :(

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Good people who use twitter! Please spare a tweet for the #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense tweetathon. It takes place on the 3rd of every month, but there is no need to even commit this to memory, use the thuderclap which will store your tweet and automatically send it out on the 3rd! You can even use the pre written tweet provided if you so chose! Convenient. Sign up to the September 3rd tweetathon thuderclap here: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/345 ... n-sept-3rd

Just to clarify, this is a campaign for Shenmue 3.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Attack On Titan is getting a 3DS game

I think it's quite interesting that a lot of otaku games are coming to the 3DS now, when usually they would go to Sony platforms (probably due to the PS Vita being bleh? Sure, it still gets some but...). Nintendo, remove the region locks please.

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Ath said:
Gaaaah Bravely Default has been delayed to 2014 in Europe. I knew 2013 was too good to be true :(

Looks like Nintendo may have got it wrong. The Bravely Default twitter account apparently tweeted its still set for a 2013 release in Europe, so there is conflicting reports on the matter at present.

Source

Ath

Pokémon Master
Most excellent. My 3DS is going to be very well utilised this year.

Incidentally, Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 4pm. If you'll excuse me, I'm off to board the hype train.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
I'm guessing that tomorrow, we'll have details on when Miiverse is arriving on the 3DS. I may or may not already know due to inside sources xD

Ath

Pokémon Master
So errr yeah, I got the times wrong at it was 3PM :p Oh well, a fairly uneventful Nintendo Direct...

Love ya Shibata!

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is FINALLY coming over! Early 2014. This game was the reason I decided to buy a 3DS in the first place (going back to its first trailer from 2010) so it's definitely been a long time coming.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
I downloaded Animal Crossing Plaza onto my Wii U and dayum, I want a full Wii U Animal Crossing game now. Looks so pretty.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the videos on the Daisuki YouTute channel work on the Wii U's browser.

Ath

Pokémon Master
I can't wait to see what goes wrong with the European version this time :D

Now that I've said that, it's going to be a region-free disc released on the same day as the Japanese version isn't it?

Castlevania

Kiznaiver
Only 2 characters, gotta be an expansion. I doubt the first one sold so well they can throw another out already.
Probably means Aigis de-buffs on her Megido combos too, plus other tweaks.

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Castlevania said:
Only 2 characters, gotta be an expansion. I doubt the first one sold so well they can throw another out already.
Probably means Aigis de-buffs on her Megido combos too, plus other tweaks.
Now that it's been translated more, there is actually a lot more to it than that. There is two new characters + you can play as shadow versions of all the characters bar two. Each have new moves implemented plus something similar to X-factor in Marvel vs Capcom 3 if you play as a shadow character. It's not all there yet but for the time being it looks like it's still in the process of being shown off for an event.

Here's Siliconeras coverage of it: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/16/ne ... -and-more/

Ranger Ryu

Kiznaiver
So just downloaded the PS3 version of Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, and since I pre ordered it I got the Mega Drive orginial as well..........that downloaded and installed within 40 seconds............shows how much things have changed.

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle is coming to the West! And it sounds like it'll come with JP voices and subs. What's more, the names all seem to be in tact, which was the biggest worry.

Source

okita the devil

Completely Average High School Student
Awesome, I like how Jap devs seem less frightened to not over-localize their games. Ni No Kuni's subbing approach made me wonder why don't more games offer this option, namely the FF games.

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has just dropped to £22.00 on Amazon.co.uk for pre-order.

What's the deal with this game? Is it not a complete title? I've heard rumours of it being more like a prologue/beta to Phantom Pain and this pricing seems to confirm that. It's unheard of for an ordinary triple-A title to drop that low BEFORE it's even launched... GTAV is still £39.99 and that's been out a while now.

It's making me a bit wary. Anyone know what the deal is? I know 360 titles have dropped a little since Xbone launch, but for it to drop that much seems awfully fishy.