General Games Discussion

So i played the MGS 3D demo yesterday and posted a blog post on it which may have been a little long winded this morning. Basically what i had said was, the control schemes where ok, but the game felt more like it was built for the CPP than anything else. I've never played an MGS game before either, so when i walked into it i got a little confused with why tranq darts weren't working properly, and ended up smacking everyone to sleep. Demo was short but not too much so. Also, the 3D was maybe a little too strong. I wanted an option in the demo to turn it down, but didn't see one.

Arbalest said:
So i played the MGS 3D demo yesterday and posted a blog post on it which may have been a little long winded this morning. Basically what i had said was, the control schemes where ok, but the game felt more like it was built for the CPP than anything else. I've never played an MGS game before either, so when i walked into it i got a little confused with why tranq darts weren't working properly, and ended up smacking everyone to sleep. Demo was short but not too much so. Also, the 3D was maybe a little too strong. I wanted an option in the demo to turn it down, but didn't see one.

Is- Isn't that what the 3D slider is for? (Forgive my ignorance if not >.<)

And tranqs are insta-KO's if you get a head or heart shot, any other part of the body takes a little while to work.

I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed it so far, the stealth does take some time to perfect and it sounds like you did pretty well for a first try, I still mess up now and then these days.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that, if you have a console, the HD collection is more value for money unless the portability is a big issue for you, from IGN's first thoughts it seems like it's a straight port with no really major additions, so you wouldn't be missing out and you'd get 2 more games to boot (plus 2 old school Metal Gears)

Well, what i did with the 3D on MGS was compare it to Resident Evil Revelations. RE: Revelations with the slider at max can be viewed without a problem, and if you wanted something a little stronger, you had the option to make it so in the options menu. That was a fantastic idea on capcoms part. So i looked into MGS' with the same kind of hope, but again, i don't think it does have varying strength options. So yeah, i'll probably just have to stick with adjusting the slider instead.

I considered the MGS HD pack for a while, but haven't really come up with if i want it or not. I've been really enjoying everything i've been getting on the 3DS recently as well, so kind of want to support that and where it's going(a good direction, finally). I may pick it up when it's lower in price, i may not. A bit undecided still.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D demo as well, particularly as it was also my first time playing a MGS game. I do agree with you about the CCP-less controls though; using the A/B/X/Y buttons for the camera is fine, but in terms of aiming it's a nightmare.

I have a £10 GAME voucher to blow, so I might as well pick one up to use with the MGS and RE:R demos I have, before GAME goes under.

Arbalest said:
Well, what i did with the 3D on MGS was compare it to Resident Evil Revelations. RE: Revelations with the slider at max can be viewed without a problem, and if you wanted something a little stronger, you had the option to make it so in the options menu.
That makes a little sense if you are deliberately skewing the 3D effect in your game to be quite weak, but I think the idea in general should be that the 3D slider is "enough" - I certainly wouldn't expect it to become either the norm, or particularly beneficial for companies to include a menu setting, unless it is less of a financial cost than the code the game properly so that the 3D is well strong enough at the top end, and very light at the "just on" setting.

For me, the 3D effect in the demo was quite strong, but not something that needed an extra menu setting once you had adjusted the slider down a bit. The main problem with it was how many examples there are of quickly coming out of and back into 3D scenes, and 3D scenes with some sort of 2D overlay like a scope that really stood out quite badly. Also the fact that the 3DS clearly can't run the game properly, at least in the demo build.

I am still quite intrigued to play it though, as if any game series is likely to have some tricks up its sleeve for unique hardware like the 3DS, then MGS is it.

Arbalest said:
Well, what i did with the 3D on MGS was compare it to Resident Evil Revelations. RE: Revelations with the slider at max can be viewed without a problem, and if you wanted something a little stronger, you had the option to make it so in the options menu. That was a fantastic idea on capcoms part. So i looked into MGS' with the same kind of hope, but again, i don't think it does have varying strength options. So yeah, i'll probably just have to stick with adjusting the slider instead.

I considered the MGS HD pack for a while, but haven't really come up with if i want it or not. I've been really enjoying everything i've been getting on the 3DS recently as well, so kind of want to support that and where it's going(a good direction, finally). I may pick it up when it's lower in price, i may not. A bit undecided still.

Ah right, fair enough. Mmm, I suppose the HD collection is only really a good deal if you like MGS enough, as it stands you seem to be enjoying it but not LOOOOOVING it, so I guess it would be pointless to get 2 extra games that you're not necessarily going to enjoy (FWIW 3 is the best and most different of all the MGS games, Peace Walker has a little jungle action but mostly PW, 2 and 1 are building-based stealth games, so liking 3 doesn't necessarily mean you'd like the others too and vice versa).

ilmaestro said:
I am still quite intrigued to play it though, as if any game series is likely to have some tricks up its sleeve for unique hardware like the 3DS, then MGS is it.

Quite probable, though, while I enjoy MGS's unconventional puzzles like back of the box codecs etc, I do find it incredibly annoying when they use button terms. "Snake press the action button to climb the ladder"

So, Alan Wake actually made it to PC huh?

Wiki said:
The game... was released on the Steam platform on February 16, 2012. Within 48 hours, Remedy announced that revenue from sale of this version surpassed their development and marketing costs for the game.
Hopefully that'll teach Microsoft not to abandon PC gamers in future.

ayase said:

Wiki said:
The game... was released on the Steam platform on February 16, 2012. Within 48 hours, Remedy announced that revenue from sale of this version surpassed their development and marketing costs for the game.

That quote is slightly misleading. After 48 hours, revenue surpassed the development and marketing costs incurred in porting to PC, not in creating the entire game originally.

Mutsumi said:
ayase said:

Wiki said:
That quote is slightly misleading. After 48 hours, revenue surpassed the development and marketing costs incurred in porting to PC, not in creating the entire game originally.
True, but I was happy to perpetuate it's misleading nature in order to further my own agenda. I'd have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Mutsumi said:
ayase said:

Wiki said:

True, but it does demonstrate that a decent port CAN do well on the PC, which is something a lot of other developers could do with learning right now.
All you constantly hear is piracy this, fragmented userbase that... when the actuality is that the PC can still be a loyal and profitable platform, but its a case of many of the users are older, and in many cases, older-school gamers who have higher expectations than some of the newer casual gamers on consoles.

That they made the costs of porting it properly and marketting it on PC in 48 hours and then went into profit on this side of things, or recouping money towards the overall venture is pretty good at the end of the day.

Things like Steam figures are rarely looked at it seems articles are published stating PC sales, and as this sort of news proves, that's perhaps a little silly, there is still a VERY healthy market on the PC for the right games, as you could argue Dear Ester, Alan Wake and the Witcher series have shown.
It's just a platform that needs to be approached with a little more care and finesse than the average console title.
Whilst things like Steam have thier costs to publishers, arguably it's also a very good system as it deals with a level of DRM that most users dont find frustrating, so they can release retail in the non-steam relevant territories if they have to but release on Steam everywhere else, and not have to worry so much about DRM-backlash ala Ubisoft.
No piracy protection is EVER perfect, so there comes a point where you need to find a balance between user interest/protection; Steam is one of the better compromises. You'll never prevent piracy 100%, and it's a relevant issue on the consoles as well as the amount of news a year or two back about XboxLive bans and drive flashing shows.

So... did anyone buy The Last Story? Still waiting for my signed copy to arrive (assuming it's even being sent at this point) that I won at the MCM Expo a week back.

And this news confirms that I'll be buying a Vita, as I don't feel like grabbing a 3ds from America.

I was wondering about the whole region free aspect of the Vita though. I know it's region free but...I'm a bit confused about it all and can't seem to get the bottom line on it. Is it that you have to reset to factory settings, or would it be simplier to have a memory card from the UK and a memory card from the US?

Adored 999, it was a fantastic little game oozing with atmosphere. Really well done for a DS visual novel too.

I've purchased The Last Story, just waiting for it to arrive. I haven't played a RPG since Final Fantasy X-2, so I'm not sure if I'll end up loving it or hating it xD

Lupus said:
So... did anyone buy The Last Story? Still waiting for my signed copy to arrive (assuming it's even being sent at this point) that I won at the MCM Expo a week back.

I got a good deal on the Collector's Edition so yes I've got it.
Lovely release with small artbook, decent steelbook case with room for the game disc and the included audio disc etc.

Had no time at all to play it though, so behind on my games (and anime) schedule!

Does anyone know of any survival-based games out there? I don't necessarily mean horror, just survival, games where you need to scrounge for ammo and items, improvise stuff if necessary.

I know it wasn't well received, but stuff like the latest "Alone in the Dark." I actually really enjoyed that in spite of its clunkiness and poor story. I don't count MGS3 since you're generally pretty well-off ammo and item wise, I'd say that game's more predatory than survivalist. I've played all the numbered Resis (plus Code Veronica) so no need to recommend those, also I intend to look into "I am Alive" since that looks kinda cool.

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be happy to give em a shot =) Basically I'm looking for games where you have to "make-do" with what's available to you.

Back