Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Not strictly speaking anime, but a Manga Entertainment release so it might be worth mention for anyone interested.

We Are X - Problems with subtitles. Namely, they have misspelt the name "Toshi" in three different ways. In the film itself at one point it's spelt "Tashi" (it's spelt correctly through out the rest of the film). In the extras, it is repeatedly spelled "ToshI", so it's at first hard to tell if they used a capital I or a small l. The worst however, again in the extras, is when it seems to be spelled as "Tosh1" - and no-one wants to be known as "Tosh One".

Isn't it marginally better than being known as Tosh Two? :p

in-case no-one read the (long-winded) review on AnimeBlurayUK then Anime Limited's Blu-ray release of Blood Lad has a minor issue; disc chapters.

Basically from episode 6 onwards the 'traditional' chapter points disappear and are instead replaced with a chapter marker every 5 minutes or so (just like on MangaUK releases) with the final episode only having two chapter points.

Thanks for all the updates! I've been away on a trip so just updated the full list.

We Are X - Problems with subtitles. Namely, they have misspelt the name "Toshi" in three different ways. In the film itself at one point it's spelt "Tashi" (it's spelt correctly through out the rest of the film). In the extras, it is repeatedly spelled "ToshI", so it's at first hard to tell if they used a capital I or a small l. The worst however, again in the extras, is when it seems to be spelled as "Tosh1" - and no-one wants to be known as "Tosh One".

I can understand the odd typo but that does sound sloppy. Do you know whether this affects the DVD and BD or just one?

R

Thanks for all the updates! I've been away on a trip so just updated the full list.

I can understand the odd typo but that does sound sloppy. Do you know whether this affects the DVD and BD or just one?

I've got the Blu-Ray, which doesn't come with a separate DVD version so I don't know if the DVD is affected too.

What I do know is this: currently We Are X is second in Official Music Video Chart (the new one comes out today so it may change); I tweeted this to Yoshiki, he quoted me on his Twitter feed, and suddenly I ended up being in a tweet that has nearly 3,000 likes and nearly 1,000 retweets - something which is both joyous and intimidating at the same time. When you see your notifications read "99+", your both happy that something you've written is trending, but scared of any new responsibilities you might suddenly now have.

Here's the exact problem with the UK GiTs Laughing Man/Individual Eleven discs.

1. Full resolution screenshot from BD.com. Taken from the US Bandai release of The Laughing Man. While this is a 1080i release and not pin-sharp, I find it acceptable:
4488_1_1080p.jpg

2. The same shot, taken from BD.com again. However this time, it's a preview image that exists within the body of the actual disc review.
I've upscaled this to as near as 1920x1080 as possible, and this is exactly what the UK disc looks like:
59372c2d998b0.jpg

Again:

1. US.
4488_3_1080p.jpg

2. UK.
59372cb99e5fd.jpg

Disgusting. We're paying for **** 720p upscales, with no proper English subs.

I'm going to say I'll need to see screencaps of the actual UK release instead of upscaled pictures you have made, and claim look like the UK release before passing judgement.

Here's the exact problem with the UK GiTs Laughing Man/Individual Eleven discs.

Disgusting. We're paying for **** 720p upscales, with no proper English subs.
Incorrect, you're actually paying for SD upscales with dubtitles.
You can see in the comparison above which I created with help from @Jaysgba that the actual HD version shows a lot more detail which simply isn't there on the UK BD.
To make things even better, that comparison picture from the TV series isn't even from the BDMV, as I was too lazy to get up and grab my JP or KOR set, so theoretically there could be a bigger difference.
If you want to see more screenshots of the UK BD, Jay has posted a bunch of them on his twitter.

I'm gonna be honest I cant really tell much difference in those caps, maybe its more noticeable on a larger screen. I never watch GITS subbed anyway, it gives me a headache, it has a pretty solid dub thankfully.

I'm gonna be honest I cant really tell much difference in those caps, maybe its more noticeable on a larger screen. I never watch GITS subbed anyway, it gives me a headache, it has a pretty solid dub thankfully.

To be honest, the GITS dub is one of the superior English language localisation efforts as far as I'm concerned. I have a soft spot for dubs featuring the Animaze / Bang Zoom! regulars of that era (such a shame we barely hear Mary McGlynn, Steve Blum and all the rest in anime these days.)

Provided there are no playback or English audio glitches with the UK GITS: SAC blu rays when they appear, I'll pick 'em up. I'm not actually buying any anime for the remainder of this year, but I have a sum of money put aside for these from way back.

They just need to be glitch free, really. And given the status and importance of this show, there's no excuse for them not to be.

Noticed on my season 1 of code geass it says on the spine 12 episodes? And on the back it says runtime 288 mins but on the discs it states both discs have 25 episodes?

Back