Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Mangaranga said:
The AU releases of Monogatari are BD/DVD combo aren't they? It's not surprising they both say disc 1 if MVM are just repackaging the discs.

Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari were Blu-ray only; but the later instalments of Monogatari (starting with Nekomonogatari) were Blu-ray and DVD combo pack.

Interestingly the Australian release of Nisemonogatari (Complete Series) had a production error on the spine; whereby it said "3 Discs" as oopposed to just two (3 Discs was in reference to the DVD version).

It could be that Hanabee placed "Disc 1" on each of the discs as, when in part instalments, there is only 1 disc included in the part - but yea with no additional information on the disc it makes it confusing as to which disc goes on first xD

Considering that the codes under the MVM branding on the discs matches the part sets, it's likely that whatever stock they had of the part sets has been used for the complete set unless Hanabee didn't bother altering the disc labels when they did their complete collection.

animefreak17 said:
What's happening with the durararara disk issues

Andrew & co. of Anime Limited are sorting it out between January to March (Q1 2015) and it will take some time to sort out.

Once they have fixed it then they will be able to send off the Blu-ray replacement discs and release the DVD version of the series.

That's the answer we all currently have.

*I put the sentence in bold as there are a lot of people asking the same question over the past few months. I'm sure Andrew (or Jeremy) will be able to provide an update this month and the next.*

NormanicGrav said:
animefreak17 said:
What's happening with the durararara disk issues

Andrew & co. of Anime Limited are sorting it out between January to March (Q1 2015) and it will take some time to sort out.

Once they have fixed it then they will be able to send off the Blu-ray replacement discs and release the DVD version of the series.

That's the answer we all currently have.

*I put the sentence in bold as there are a lot of people asking the same question over the past few months. I'm sure Andrew (or Jeremy) will be able to provide an update this month and the next.*

Oh ok thank you

demonix said:
Considering that the codes under the MVM branding on the discs matches the part sets, it's likely that whatever stock they had of the part sets has been used for the complete set unless Hanabee didn't bother altering the disc labels when they did their complete collection.
It's almost always the same discs, especially outside the US (where they do sometimes reprint to reduce disc count and/or strip extras).

ConanThe3rd said:
Just and FYI; It seems like Amazon's VOD selection (Devil is a part-timer in particular) is dubbed only.

From my experience, this is the case with many VOD services as they don't support optional subtitles/multiple audio optuons (only hard-coded ones).

Of course there's no warning on this and, frankly, given Netflix is perfectly capable of doing this and running on PC's that can charitably be called existing it's just a little crap.

in-case no-one read the (long-winded) review on AnimeBlurayUK then Anime Limited's Blu-ray release of Blood Lad has a minor issue; disc chapters.

Basically from episode 6 onwards the 'traditional' chapter points disappear and are instead replaced with a chapter marker every 5 minutes or so (just like on MangaUK releases) with the final episode only having two chapter points.

Emo185 said:
in-case no-one read the (long-winded) review on AnimeBlurayUK then Anime Limited's Blu-ray release of Blood Lad has a minor issue; disc chapters.

Basically from episode 6 onwards the 'traditional' chapter points disappear and are instead replaced with a chapter marker every 5 minutes or so (just like on MangaUK releases) with the final episode only having two chapter points.

I was going to mention it before but after noticing you comment that Anime Limited has been notified I thought "Well they'll probably fix it at some point".

Emo185 said:
Why is it that only UK authoring companies seem to be increasingly incompetent when it comes to Chaptering recently? It's such a basic thing that they've been doing right for god knows how many years now. What's changed?
Any defect is a pain, and this release has taken a tumble down my priorities list as a result. I'll either get it at a later date or just get Viz's version. I've been putting this off for 5 months now, I really need to just get it.

NormanicGrav said:
Emo185 said:

I was going to mention it before but after noticing you comment that Anime Limited has been notified I thought "Well they'll probably fix it at some point".

To be fair, by the time it was noted it was with print and it's a pretty rare case. Normally our NAV QC picks up on this - no idea why it didn't this time as is clear as day. Shouldn't impact on folks experience though and will definitely not be missed again as it's easy to check for too!

EDIT: This also wasn't a UK authoring house as I hinted before too...

Best,

AP

Sorry Andrew, just me venting. To say the least It annoys me that the quality of UK discs are generally going down the drain.
Lately it seems that more often than not we are seeing defects in UK releases which are not present in the US equivalents. It suggests that there's just a complete lack of care.
Given that Blood Lad is almost right and it's an Anime Limited release I have placed an order for it.

Mangaranga said:
Sorry Andrew, just me venting. To say the least It annoys me that the quality of UK discs are generally going down the drain.
Lately it seems that more often than not we are seeing defects in UK releases which are not present in the US equivalents. It suggests that there's just a complete lack of care.
Given that Blood Lad is almost right and it's an Anime Limited release I have placed an order for it.

We do genuinely care about the quality too - what I think happened as given the project was recompiled something went amiss. Both authoring house and our QC feel bad about it so the support is really welcomed :).

Actually too - the fact everyone here actually discusses things logically really is appreciated. We all need to vent too but I think what I appreciate the most is even when people here vent - they're willing to listen too and process what's going on for us on the other side of the looking glass.

Never change - the feedback (good and bad) means a lot to us.

AP

Will it be fixed or is it not cost effective & worth doing? I have a few of Manga's lazy releases that have the super lazy 2 minute interval markers so I can live with it.

With disk errors & the like I just slip a piece of paper stating the errors so that if I forget when I come to watch it again, it's there for me to read. Dubbing errors, prolonged corrupt image etc is unforgivable though/

At least you're more willing to fix your mistakes or at least admit to them though. Unlike Manga UK and some of the disgustingly bad releases they've done in the past (here's looking at you Freedom.)

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia seems to be another show which has come through the PAL speedup process with "wurbly" audio. More noticeable on the English track than the Japanese and unusually more obvious on the dialog than the music.

----

There's also a compression glitch around 8 mins into episode 4. It's right after some intentional distortion which might have thrown the encoder off or something. Confirmed it's not just my copy.

Back