Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Conan, please stop the unwarranted insults when people are trying to help you. Last warning.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: delays hurt the companies far more than they hurt any of us. Andrew knows that delays suck. You don't need to keep telling him in case he forgets. Really.

R

Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (Blu-ray)
Local authoring like the others, no subtitle issues but JPT reported about the lack of Signs Track for the main film itself:
This being a Manga authored disc, the immediate worry is with the subtitles. They use their pale white font as usual, the subtitles are accurately timed and free of error, and without on screen signs and text, or multiple conversations to translate, there’s no subtitle clash, and it seems as if Manga didn’t create their own translation either. At least it was easy to read and made sense. There is a signs only track, but it seems to be pointless, as the only place where signs are necessary, translating the end theme lyrics, they aren’t used. You only get the end theme lyrics in the main subtitle track.

The signs track that goes with the English audio only translates one thing. There's a newspaper on the car seat about 5 minutes in, the signs track translates the headline on the paper. Apart from that I don't recall seeing anything in the film that needed translating. The onscreen text is in English anyway. For example, the news report on the TV, it's all in English.

Emulsion said:
The signs track that goes with the English audio only translates one thing. There's a newspaper on the car seat about 5 minutes in, the signs track translates the headline on the paper. Apart from that I don't recall seeing anything in the film that needed translating. The onscreen text is in English anyway. For example, the news report on the TV, it's all in English.

That's fair enough, I guess Manga managed to get away with one unbroken issue.

Nekomonogatari Blu-ray

There's a missing subtitle in episode 1 at 4m44s when Hanekawa is talking with Mayoi. It's not an important line but it should have been subtitled nonetheless. More sloppy work from Hanabee.

At this point I've only watched the first episode and don't know when I'll be watching the rest, so I thought it mention it now. Let's hope there aren't any more omissions...

fabricatedlunatic said:
Nekomonogatari Blu-ray

There's a missing subtitle in episode 1 at 4m44s when Hanekawa is talking with Mayoi. It's not an important line but it should have been subtitled nonetheless. More sloppy work from Hanabee.

At this point I've only watched the first episode and don't know when I'll be watching the rest, so I thought it mention it now. Let's hope there aren't any more omissions...

Sorry to be a nuisance, but is that Nekomonogatari White?

If I were a better person I'd be able to tell from your description of the scene, but I'm not :D

R

Rui said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Nekomonogatari Blu-ray

If I were a better person I'd be able to tell from your description of the scene, but I'm not :D

R

Has to be White as Black is before Mayoi is introduced.

Rui said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Nekomonogatari Blu-ray

R

Yep it's Nekomonogatari White... as far as I remember that's the only subtitle that was missing from the release; nothing major but it does disrupt a rather comical storyline.

Two minor issues with Space Dandy collectors edition blu ray:

1) op and ep lack subtitles (not an issue for me but I know others like it) with either jap with subs or English dub

2) disc one contains episodes 1-7 but is labelled as 1-6 and disc 2 has 8-13 but is labelled 7-13. This sort of error seems to have slipped through a few times with Anime Limited releases.

Edit - I'm watching with english dub so can't comment on subs atm

Poor Andrew, I can imagine his face each time these labelling errors appear :D

Neither issue is a huge problem for me (though I hope the labelling errors will be nothing more than an embarrassing memory in future). Which reminds me, I need to open my copy which arrived today!

R

britguy said:

1) op and ep lack subtitles (not an issue for me but I know others like it) with either jap with subs or English dub

Not too fussed if songs get translated. Normally skip the openings myself. It's when signs and other onscreen text that doesn't get translated, that's what bothers me. Talking about relevant text.

britguy said:
2) disc one contains episodes 1-7 but is labelled as 1-6 and disc 2 has 8-13 but is labelled 7-13. This sort of error seems to have slipped through a few times with Anime Limited releases

Not a major issue but really, again.

Yeah neither are issues for me but the mislabelled discs happens too often that I think they need to investigate What's going wrong.

There's several scenes with plenty of signs/onscreen text that isn't translates but I'm sure that's a design decisive as it's mostly (what I can tell) fictional alien language.

Loving the show though. Looks and sounds fantastic :)

britguy said:

2) disc one contains episodes 1-7 but is labelled as 1-6 and disc 2 has 8-13 but is labelled 7-13. This sort of error seems to have slipped through a few times with Anime Limited releases.

Edit - I'm watching with english dub so can't comment on subs atm

Missing song subs sucks a bit. Disc numbering error is minor, but something we all thought would never happen again. Time to buy Andrew a new pack of sharpies :)

Ignore me. Having a lot of off days resulting in me writing crap on the Internet as always...
Lack of song translations is a pain but whatever. Audio seems fine from what I've watched so far. Hopefully it was just a "two off" and Gurren/KlK are isolated incidents.

Re: space dandy can someone with access to the simulcast versions advise me if a song during episode 5 was translated as I watched it last night and was slightly disappointed it wasn't here.

the montage sequence with dandy and the young female alien

Last edited by a moderator:
The upcoming One Piece - Movie 8 Blu-ray does not contain the 5.1 English Audio which was present in the American release of the film; the only audio options are LPCM 2.0 in English and Japanese.

Furthermore the English subtitles are grey (similar to recent MangaUK Blu-ray releases) and there are no bonus features on the disc.

Source: AnimeBlurayUK

It also seems like the stand-a-lone DVD version of the film will be exactly the same disc as the disc that was included with One Piece - Movie Collection 3 back in November (although this is just my assumption).

Back