1. Welcome to the new Anime UK News forums! Please view this thread for more information regarding your account and the forums. If you can't log in, your password has been blanked and will need to be reset.
    Dismiss Notice

Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Discussion in 'Anime Industry Discussion' started by Rui, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Straw Hat Pirate

That is most likely a reverse importation demand. It's pretty common.

2. Rui

Rui Karamatsu Boy Administrator

I'll add it as some people might certainly class it as 'disappointing' but it is quite common. It's probably more disappointing in fan service shows as the visual aspect is all the more important, in my humble opinion :D

R

3. Lord Bacchus

Lord Bacchus Kiznaiver

If we're listing things that have hard coded subs, then 'The Comic Artist and His Assistants' (Blu-ray) also has them. It's another Animatsu one authored by Sentai. Is hard coding the subs a trend within Sentai releases, or just ones that don't have an English dub like this one?

4. Rui

Rui Karamatsu Boy Administrator

It's a mixture of a few factors. Some Japanese distributors (which tend to work with specific US distributors, causing correlations) prefer certain types of lock-out like delays or locked subs, and some US distributors have obviously crunched the numbers and decided that locked subs lose few sales than other possibilities such as dub-only discs or downgrading video/audio quality. I prefer it when they actually announce the issue in advance as part of the spec so buyers can make an informed choice, but this is rare for obvious reasons. Even more so in the UK, where getting advance information about a product's spec is close to impossible and everyone is going in blind (including most of the actual distributors...)

In theory a UK company should be in a much stronger negotiating position since we're a separate BD region and reverse importation should be less desirable... except that since the cost of creating masters is so prohibitive, it wouldn't mean anything in most cases since we inherit the restrictions from the US masters we use. Sucks to be us.

R

Neil.T likes this.
  5. It's less effort to list those shows released with unlocked subs these days. Sentai appear to lock everything as a matter of course, BD and DVD, while Funi's Blu-rays are locked 99% of the time. Sometimes when Hanabee reauthor discs they get unlocked, but usually we reuse US assets.

6. Lord Bacchus

Lord Bacchus Kiznaiver

I've noticed that with most non-sentai releases the subs are locked in theory (in that you can't select to watch it raw from the main menu), but if you start it with subs enabled you can usually turn them off in the subtitle menu. I haven't noticed as many which outright lock it even in the subtitle menu though (sentai not withstanding).

7. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Dragon Knight

Regarding Angel Beats, as I recall Jerome stated that is was a direct clone of the US discs with the region flipped.

8. Persona 3 Movie 2 has the audio incorrectly mastered. Dialogue comes from three of the four surround channels, not the centre speaker. The problem is constant across BD and DVD.

Robbl likes this.
  9. Neil.T

Neil.T School Idol

Damn, Eureka almost nailed it with their release of Metropolis, but not quite. It has some out-of-sync subtitles towards the end; they pop up slightly behind the audio/video. The problem applies to two of the three subtitle options, and affects the BD and DVD discs in the set.

Blu-ray list:

Metropolis (Eureka!): Slightly mistimed subtitles during the last few minutes of the film. (Applies to "Original translation" and "US theatrical" subtitle options; "English dubbed audio" [hard-of-hearing dubtitles] track is unaffected.) *Problem applies to both the BD and DVD included in double-play set.

Rui likes this.
  10. demonix

demonix Adventurer

That would probably explain why UP1 now has it listed as withdrawn by publisher.

Jaysgba likes this.
  11. Zin5ki

Zin5ki Railgun

Rats! Does this problem arise before or after that scene though?

12. Neil.T

Neil.T School Idol

Drat! Drat! And double drat! (cursed Dick Dastardly from Wacky Races :p)

The problem only occurs during the last three minutes before the end credits, so it's just after that scene.

The heart-rending "I can't stop loving you" scene. :(

Zin5ki likes this.
  13. Zin5ki

Zin5ki Railgun

Thank heavens! The climax was unaffected, then.

14. Shimoneta: The extra features are exclusive to the Blu-ray.