Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

I'll add it as some people might certainly class it as 'disappointing' but it is quite common. It's probably more disappointing in fan service shows as the visual aspect is all the more important, in my humble opinion :D

R

If we're listing things that have hard coded subs, then 'The Comic Artist and His Assistants' (Blu-ray) also has them. It's another Animatsu one authored by Sentai. Is hard coding the subs a trend within Sentai releases, or just ones that don't have an English dub like this one?

It's a mixture of a few factors. Some Japanese distributors (which tend to work with specific US distributors, causing correlations) prefer certain types of lock-out like delays or locked subs, and some US distributors have obviously crunched the numbers and decided that locked subs lose few sales than other possibilities such as dub-only discs or downgrading video/audio quality. I prefer it when they actually announce the issue in advance as part of the spec so buyers can make an informed choice, but this is rare for obvious reasons. Even more so in the UK, where getting advance information about a product's spec is close to impossible and everyone is going in blind (including most of the actual distributors...)

In theory a UK company should be in a much stronger negotiating position since we're a separate BD region and reverse importation should be less desirable... except that since the cost of creating masters is so prohibitive, it wouldn't mean anything in most cases since we inherit the restrictions from the US masters we use. Sucks to be us.

R

It's less effort to list those shows released with unlocked subs these days. Sentai appear to lock everything as a matter of course, BD and DVD, while Funi's Blu-rays are locked 99% of the time. Sometimes when Hanabee reauthor discs they get unlocked, but usually we reuse US assets.

It's less effort to list those shows released with unlocked subs these days. Sentai appear to lock everything as a matter of course, BD and DVD, while Funi's Blu-rays are locked 99% of the time. Sometimes when Hanabee reauthor discs they get unlocked, but usually we reuse US assets.

I've noticed that with most non-sentai releases the subs are locked in theory (in that you can't select to watch it raw from the main menu), but if you start it with subs enabled you can usually turn them off in the subtitle menu. I haven't noticed as many which outright lock it even in the subtitle menu though (sentai not withstanding).

Damn, Eureka almost nailed it with their release of Metropolis, but not quite. It has some out-of-sync subtitles towards the end; they pop up slightly behind the audio/video. The problem applies to two of the three subtitle options, and affects the BD and DVD discs in the set.

Blu-ray list:

Metropolis (Eureka!): Slightly mistimed subtitles during the last few minutes of the film. (Applies to "Original translation" and "US theatrical" subtitle options; "English dubbed audio" [hard-of-hearing dubtitles] track is unaffected.) *Problem applies to both the BD and DVD included in double-play set.

Blu-ray list:

Metropolis (Eureka!): Slightly mistimed subtitles during the last few minutes of the film. (Applies to "Original translation" and "US theatrical" subtitle options; "English dubbed audio" [hard-of-hearing dubtitles] track is unaffected.) *Problem applies to both the BD and DVD included in double-play set.
Rats! Does this problem arise before or after that scene though?

Rats! Does this problem arise before or after that scene though?

Drat! Drat! And double drat! (cursed Dick Dastardly from Wacky Races :p)

The problem only occurs during the last three minutes before the end credits, so it's just after that scene.

The heart-rending "I can't stop loving you" scene. :(

Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Side of Dimension doesn't retain Japanese audio for the end credits, instead using the dub credits music. I suppose this was unavoidable with a real dual audio release as the Japanese credits sequence, which we don't get, lasts a couple seconds longer than the English credits.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Side of Dimension is actually dual audio.

Weird! Do you know if it's both versions or just DVD/BD? That's sort of the opposite of disappointing in a way (though shame the credits didn't make it - I see the original theme was by a UK rock group though, do you know whether this is changed for the dub?)

R

Weird! Do you know if it's both versions or just DVD/BD? That's sort of the opposite of disappointing in a way (though shame the credits didn't make it - I see the original theme was by a UK rock group though, do you know whether this is changed for the dub?)

R
I don't have the DVD version to check. The dub utilises its own soundtrack entirely, as per usual. I'm curious as to whether Anchor Bay's release is the same or not.

Standard definition upscaled transfers, (looking at the US screenshots on BD.com, they're clearly not the same), complete with sharpening artifacts. English HoH dubtitles ONLY, no proper English subtitle stream.

It only took them six years.

Ass-clowns.

Not strictly speaking anime, but a Manga Entertainment release so it might be worth mention for anyone interested.

We Are X - Problems with subtitles. Namely, they have misspelt the name "Toshi" in three different ways. In the film itself at one point it's spelt "Tashi" (it's spelt correctly through out the rest of the film). In the extras, it is repeatedly spelled "ToshI", so it's at first hard to tell if they used a capital I or a small l. The worst however, again in the extras, is when it seems to be spelled as "Tosh1" - and no-one wants to be known as "Tosh One".

Back