CODE GEASS - LELOUCH OF THE REBELLION - R2 cut by BBFC

ilmaestro said:
"Don't worry, they won't make any cuts to 'normal' anime"

"Don't worry, they will only make 1 second cuts to 'normal' anime"

"Don't worry..."

Hmm, good point, but I'm not gonna backflip to any conclusions just yet. I still have some faith...ish

fabricatedlunatic said:
Why is it relevant that it's only one second?

Speaking from my own personal viewpoint, it's a relevant detail because it's a cut so small as to be negligible. It's hardly going to make me wave my arms like Kermit the Frog and wail 'AARRRGH! GEASS HAS BEEN RUINED FOREVER!'

And like I said - this appears to be the only cut made to the material being released. It's hardly on the same level as the edit made to Paranoia agent for the UK, in my opinion.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The point is that it sounds like a fairly innocuous image, probably no worse than what we've seen in shows that the BBFC didn't see fit to edit. The timing of this cut, just weeks after the C&JB came into effect, as well as the comment from Beez, suggests that the bill played some part in the BBFC's decision.

Well, from the way it's been reported, it didn't sound innocuous to me. But then I'll be the forst to admit that I haven't seen anything of this show - so I simply don't know what was cut.

That said, checking the link in the OP, the BBFC state their reasons for making the cut there pretty clearly, and there's no mention of the Coroner's and Justice act. Several other things, but not that.

I do agree that the timing seems like a very significant detail, though. I'm interested to see if this becomes a frequent occurrence now, or whether it will in time stand out as an instance where the BBFC simply chose to exercise caution.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand here - just trying to keep a balanced outlook on it all.

HdE said:
Speaking from my own personal viewpoint, it's a relevant detail because it's a cut so small as to be negligible. It's hardly going to make me wave my arms like Kermit the Frog and wail 'AARRRGH! GEASS HAS BEEN RUINED FOREVER!'
Okay. But when you made your "astounded" comment nobody had said they weren't buying the DVDs because of the edit. Only one person has expressed such a sentiment, and that's at the end of the previous page. Hell, I'm not even interested in the show, but that's not the point.

Well, from the way it's been reported, it didn't sound innocuous to me. But then I'll be the forst to admit that I haven't seen anything of this show - so I simply don't know what was cut.
The following doesn't sound innocuous to you?
Reaper gI said:
it's a scene of one minor female character changing
It sounds more innocuous than the scene in Elfen Lied that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. I haven't seen it myself, admittedly, but I've read several blogs about the episode in question and not one even mentions this supposed obscenity.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Okay. But when you made your "astounded" comment nobody had said they weren't buying the DVDs because of the edit.

I'm more surprised at the outrage that's being expressed, given the circumstances. I belive cuts of a similar nature were being made long before the new Coroner's and Justice act was in place. Not an expert in these things, though, so don't quote me.

I'm more than likely the worst person to get into conversation with over this stuff - it just does not bother me at all if a minute cut like this is being made to a series I may or may not check out. Heck, I'm one of the guys who feels like material such as is being removed doesn't add anything to a show. It sounds like it's inconsequential to the plot, so in this particular instance, I'm fine with it.

Like I said before - and have said on the issue since it first came up - it'll take time for us to see how much real impact these new laws are ACTUALLY going to have. This is one isolated incident. If we were to see these sorts of cuts being made frequently, and in a fashion that became progressively more nonsensical, then, yes, I'd be the first to say it's a problem.

Right now, I'm reserving judgement.

HdE said:
I belive cuts of a similar nature were being made long before the new Coroner's and Justice act was in place.
To anime? Not that I'm aware of. The last mainstream anime to be cut was Paranoia Agent, and that was three or four years ago.

So you're okay with anything being cut so long as it's not absolutely integral to the plot? Even if there's no justifiable reason for its removal? It's good to know where you stand on this, I suppose. And again, only one person has actually said this will prevent them from buying the DVDs.

Besides, the episode is fansubbed and all over the Intenet, so yeah... the BBFC have nipped one in the bud there. Worried parents can sleep safe at night as all those would be anime pederasts have avoided having their paedo switch flipped. Let's chalk one up for the good old boys at the BBFC!

I am just so glad that they can't get retroactive, cause if that one four frame long image (which is pretty darn tame when I think about it) is enough to ring their alarm bells, then God knows what they would make of Puni Puni Poemy, or Cosplay Complex now, or Love Hina, or Speed Grapher.

1 instance is an anomaly.
2 instances are a statistic.
3 instances indicate policy.

We're at one instance now... And it may just be an anomaly, given that
MAHOROMATIC AUTOMATIC MAIDEN - SOMETHING MORE BEAUTIFUL was passed uncut rated 15, with strong sexualised nudity (and with comedy paedo teacher Shikijo as one of the characters) on the 19th April after the Act came into force.

I just hope that this isn't the start of a trend, because the anime industry has enough problems as it is. Personally, I have my concerns for whoever rated this episode, because if he or she got that nervy about a blink and you miss it image, then they should be seeing a therapist tout suite. They've got bigger problems than an anime disc.

I have seen the image in question! Before I go turn myself in, I have to say it's a very odd decision. I'm pretty sure I've seen worse in Abenobashi, Desert Punk, the Negima OVA, and of course Mahoromatic--all of which feature young looking characters witnessing various perversion. Let's hope it is an anomaly.

Reaper gI said:
1s isn't too bad literaly a few frames. Just fast forwarded through it My guess is one of Anyas photo album.

Exactly that - what was cut was one second and was a static image on Anya's phone in a scene. It's not integral to the plot and we're as annoyed as you are as it delays the release a little!

It's not an epic thing that is ruining the plot and it was as simple as make the cut or the show won't be released full stop really.

ayase said:
Beez being the ones who submitted it to the BBFC, and presumably were informed of the reason for the cut. It would be pretty poor of them to jump to conclusions and post said conclusions publicly on the internet - Beez being notoriously tight lipped about other things.

When have I been notoriously tight lipped about anything when asked Ayase :p?

When I say thanks to the Dangerous Cartoon Act too - I'll clarify with our production manager if he knows if that was the exact cause but I can safely say a scene like that before probably wouldn't have caused much concern though so you can assume it played some part in it if not because of it then what is going through is being watched very closely now.

I'll post the static image later via our blog for people's reference or similar but I'm of course sorry a second had to be cut but it's at least not hindering the release of Geass in the UK in a significant way so I urge people to support the release still given no major cut was made please.

Sufficed to say it's an irritation here due to dates slipping though while we edit the master for replication though -_-...

Best,

- Andrew

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Andrew!

Okay - now my concern level has ratcheted up by a notch.

ConanThe3rd said:
And, what, is implied masturbation by use of a table OK because the person who walks in on it is blind?
Presumably that is seen as being actually relevant to Nina's character.

D'you reckon if Lethal Weapon 2 was submitted to the BBFC now, that scene where Mel Gibson and Patsy Kensit get intimate would have to be edited? You know, that bit where Sam the Dog pokes his head into the trailer and watches the couple intently, until being discouraged by a boot.

That might encourage bestiality...

And footwear projectile based cruelty to animals.

ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:
And, what, is implied masturbation by use of a table OK because the person who walks in on it is blind?
Or Nunnely was blind so it's AOK FOR UK!

Christ I hate the Dinosaur Empire.

ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Also, it was not explicit or immediately apparent that that is what she is doing. (also she'd finished by the time Nunnally came in)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Also, it was not explicit or immediately apparent that that is what she is doing. (also she'd finished by the time Nunnally came in)

why does it make a difference if nunnally is there or not?

Nina is under 18 too

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ilmaestro said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Also, it was not explicit or immediately apparent that that is what she is doing.
Er... maybe my mind is just too quick to imagine young girls masturbating*, but I thought it was pretty obvious.

*MAYBE. Please don't come after me, Mr. Government.

Chaps, chaps. There is a way to put all our indignations on this matter to rest. All we need to do is persuade Beez to stream the additional 0:01 to British users online. This way, nobody is denied any content!

Best hosting the video overseas however. You can never be too careful.

As the admin has said they don't mind hosting I'll post a link of what I think is the frame in question. (Hopefully Andrew can confirm it)

OZCCodeGeassR2E10WhenShenHuWinsGlor.jpg

I really think this is heavy handed by the BBFC

Remember the context...

It's someone scanning through images on a mobile phone... The image in question is on screen for under a second. There is no reaction to the image, no comment on the image. It has nothing to do with the story or the plot, and it certainly doesn't have any effect on the characters in the scene.

Here's what Beez should do. Take the image, put it on the inside sleeve of the DVD artwork, or as a separate insert, or as a collectable postcard.

Back