CODE GEASS - LELOUCH OF THE REBELLION - R2 cut by BBFC

off-topic: the strangest thing, I saw Paranoia Agent v3 on rental and the supposedly cut attempted hanging scene was still on there in its entireity, yet when I watched it again (I've now bought the series boxset) it was missing.

So apparently the individual release was uncut or for some bizarre reason, Lovefilm has their own exclusive rental uncut version, which is plain bonkers.

Course, at the end of the day, the BBFC get thier extra oh...two thousand is it at this point? and leave us unwilling to buy the thing.

ayase said:
[...]what this basically comes down to is that the BBFC have decided that females with flat chests can't possibly be older than 16.

Don't you just love the way society tries to improve the self esteem of women who don't conform to society's 'ideal'? :/
The BBFC seem to be aware of the issues. To quote from their response to the consultation on the C&J Act:

"[...] the matter will inevitably rest on a subjective judgement as to whether the character appears to be under 18. This is a hard enough judgment to make with real people, even in the flesh, but with a non-photographic image the difficulty is multiplied many times. Animated representations are often highly stylised, deliberately avoiding the sort of details that give clues to age in real life. For example, the standard Disney characterisation (hugely influential throughout the world, and a model for much Japanese animation) involves huge ‘child like’ eyes and smooth skin even if the representation is of a young man rather than a boy. In other words, how old exactly is Aladdin in the 1992 Disney film of the same name?"

That said, the cut couldn't be legally related to the C&J Act as that deals with possession, plus that picture isn't prohibited by it. They've simply thought "sexual activity, under 18 (flat chest, short height, hairstyle) in shot... needs to be cut", which they can make compulsory under older legislation.

However, it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that the attention surrounding the C&J Act may have made the BBFC more cautious about their ratings.

sic vita est said:
However, it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that the attention surrounding the C&J Act may have made the BBFC more cautious about their ratings.
While we're at it, would it also be reasonable to suggest that they're a load of irrelevant tosspots?

ConanThe3rd said:
Course, at the end of the day, the BBFC get thier extra oh...two thousand is it at this point? and leave us unwilling to buy the thing.

I'd rather have a cut dvd than no dvd at all, so I'm not unwilling =P.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
ConanThe3rd said:

I'd rather import (cause it's generally cheaper anyway) and get the uncut.

WHAT TO DO!?

ayase said:
While we're at it, would it also be reasonable to suggest that they're a load of irrelevant tosspots?
Who like the Money, can't forget that they get a nice bonus for blocking content. It would be like giving Godzilla money for destroying Tokyo. It sort of breads this verity of destructive behaviour.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Then I fear for the future of this medium and it's fandom. Oh, I'll give hell to the japanese for not giving KyoAni the finger in regards to endless eight but this is just wrong.

sic vita est said:
That said, the cut couldn't be legally related to the C&J Act as that deals with possession, plus that picture isn't prohibited by it.

Making a guess; you buy off the shelf a BBFC rated show, you are then the one owning it.
If the BBFC then allowed to pass unedited any scene found to be illegal under the C&J bill, just how open will they be leaving themselves to being sued for passing illegal content onto the highstreet?

I think if you were being litteral to the bill; looking at that image posted earlier there is a clear case of molestation (which quite a few people would consider to be a sexual act) and present in the background is a character by standard levels of perception to be under the age of 18 (a case could be argued for the other girls looking over 18 without prior knowledge of their age). Seem to remember in the bill that's listed as a no-no (no kids to be present in a scene of a sexual act, even if they are not directly involved in it), but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ;)

So yes, knee-jerking time all round, but only because someone out there would find a way to condemn/sue you if you didn't....

Fellistowe said:
So yes, knee-jerking time all round, but only because someone out there would find a way to condemn/sue you if you didn't....
I seriously doubt it. Anime is a small enough market in the UK anyway, and the likelihood of any Mary Whitehouse sympathisers walking in on their kids during the one second that shot is on screen (and noticing... and kids buying it in the first place) is about ten million to one.

It's worrying, but who really gives a **** if it's the C&JB to blame or not? The real problem here is the existence of the BBFC. A compulsory ratings board like that is relic which should belong to the history books by now along with the Hays Code.

I still think everyone needs to chillax. This is one incident, so unless more starts happening/ more serious cuts start being made, panicking isn't going to get us anywhere.

Bascially just wait and see, no matter what happens it's not like we can do anything about it unfortunately, and there's no way the government will get rid of the BBFC, especially considering how games are now being considered for stricter regulation.

Ayase: whilst calling the BBFC irrelevant ignores the fact that some people actively want this kind of guidance, your main issue appears to be that they can demand compulsory changes? In which case I agree, especially in borderline examples like this one.

Fellistowe: the C&J Act seems intended to deal with imported and downloaded media that the BBFC will never get a chance to classify, because there's seemingly no way they would pass the examples it lists if they went to them for classification. You'd be right in thinking this means that things they would have cut could still be legal to possess, the cut in question being one of those cases.

What's annoyed me most in this thread is finding that my copy of Paranoia Agent has a fairly substantial cut. I want to see children trying to hang themselves, dammit! Made me understand Ayase's point more as well.

sic vita est said:
Ayase: whilst calling the BBFC irrelevant ignores the fact that some people actively want this kind of guidance, your main issue appears to be that they can demand compulsory changes? In which case I agree, especially in borderline examples like this one.
Demand Charges, ask for frankly stupid amounts of money for their services, ask for that money again when they mandate those changes, not much.

BBFC charges 6 pounds per minute of show, which also counts for extras and in each of its tracks (dubs and subs), plus 75 pounds for submission.

So, a 2 hours show with dubs and sub costs 1515 to be rated, forcing you to shift at least a thousand copies of the title, just to cover the BBFC charges, thus making a lot of titles become an unfeasible UK release.

http://bbfconline.org/downloads/pub/BBF ... 202010.pdf

chaos said:
BBFC charges 6 pounds per minute of show, which also counts for extras and in each of its tracks (dubs and subs), plus 75 pounds for submission.

So, a 2 hours show with dubs and sub costs 1515 to be rated, forcing you to shift at least a thousand copies of the title, just to cover the BBFC charges, thus making a lot of titles become an unfeasible UK release.

Well you wouldn't need to to sell 1000 unless you're selling each unit for £1.50 =P

Sparrowsabre7 said:
chaos said:

Well you wouldn't need to to sell 1000 unless you're selling each unit for £1.50 =P

Licencing costs, disc replication, artwork, cases, promotion, distribution costs...

You already knew that didn't you? You were just being silly?

Sorry, pray continue... :p

Back