Relationships and Romance

I can definitely say I'm guilty of being attracted to anime characters. It's not really in a I could see myself dating them or anything, but it's definitely a 'this character is really cute and attractive' -proceed to roll around on the sofa muttering about a protagonist being cute-.

I don't really see it as a problem either given they're 100% fictional and when it comes to other guys in real life I don't find myself attracted to anyone beyond Teapot. I'm hesitant to call it commitment to the relationship because I don't think it's that so much as I'm one track minded and as long as we're together I could only see myself with him and that's that. With manga/anime/whatever it's more that they definitely don't exist and I'd never date them so I can just be satisfied with the warm feelings I get from watching them with their perspective love interests.

Admittedly if it was different in reverse and he looked at/flirted with/etc with other girls (or guys!) I'd be jealous. Not even for any logical reason because I know he loves me, but I'm certainly guilty of feeling a little jealous if someone is overly friendly. That's not a good thing though, so I do my best to keep those feelings (and it's really rare for me to feel that way in general) in check especially without logical reasoning behind it. DX

Neil was telling me a story the other week about a former workmate of his who contacted him through FB messenger. This guy would message Neil and use "suggestive" emojis (things like winking faces), and Neil was starting to wonder where it was all going. It turns out that this guy thought Neil was "hot" and had a wee crush 😹😸😹😸😹

To say that it was totally sweet is an understatement!

I'm going to explain this next bit purely as hypothetical example:

If a woman showed any interest in Neil I wouldn't have cause for any concern or jealousy. I just have that much confidence in him to know that he respects me and our relationship too much so I know it won't lead to anything. I mean, hypothetically, if someone were to show genuine interest in Neil but in a way that's respectful (i.e just enquiring if he's single), I know he'd be a gentleman about it and he'd let them know he's taken in a way that's kind.

And it would work vice versa. I know as well it can depend on the circumstances as well, and some will insist on making it awkward. Sometimes unfortunately as well, friendliness can be misinterpteted by some as flirting; it's about clearly stating that there's no interest "in that way".

That said, it's purely hypothetical in nature since, whilst we're both outgoing, neither of us would find ourselves in situations where we're highly likely to encounter that kind of social interaction.

Posting from my phone is a pain! 😹😸😹😸😹

Last edited by a moderator:
If a woman showed any interest in Neil I wouldn't have cause for any concern or jealousy.
And this is very much a two-way thing.

I remember a while back, Aya was telling me about a workmate who was always very keen to talk to her. I didn't know very much about him at the time, but I remember saying with a mischievous wink (trickier over the phone!), "Have you got a bit of an admirer there? 😉"

For my own part, I was totally relaxed. ☺️

And this is very much a two-way thing.

I remember a while back, Aya was telling me about a workmate who was always very keen to talk to her. I didn't know very much about him at the time, but I remember saying with a mischievous wink (trickier over the phone!), "Have you got a bit of an admirer there? 😉"

For my own part, I was totally relaxed. ☺️
Summed up in about 70-odd words what I tried to explain in about 700! Your tactical mind! 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

I guess that means I won't be watching urotsukidoji with her.

I like the frankness of your reply! :D

I find made-up characters more appealing than celebrities and the like. Which is convenient since there's not a massive chance of me running off with Xellos from Slayers and destroying my marriage in the pursuit of forbidden dark magic, and my partner is the same way (though with different characters). It's fun when we go to say, doujinshi events and just calmly walk around one another's 'sections' amusedly. Having said that, both my partner and I have had our share of (generally weird) solicitations from random strangers over the years. Neither of us has had any temptation to stray though, we're comfortable and happy as we are.

R

I haven't been joining in with this thread much lately, mostly because I've just ended up talking with Aya about it, but I need to chime in with this.

@IncendiaryLemon: You have indeed come up in conversation a few times, dude, and Aya and I are rooting for you all the way.

All I can probably really offer is that you likely read some of my posts in the General Conversation Area last year. I felt I was in frankly a hopeless situation, and yet only one year down the line the situation has changed entirely.

A friend of mine told me last year: when it's with the right person, things will just happen. At the time, I had simply no belief in that. Turns out, though, that it's true!

This is something else I would've wholly identified with perhaps as recently as early last year. I'm not even sure what it was that clicked — perhaps just throwing a bit of caution to the wind — but quite abruptly it ceased to be the case. It took bloody long enough! But I finally broke through the wall.

Sometimes unexpected things just happen, I guess, either with or without conscious input or effort. And if you're in a position to be able to take the best from it... :)

I'm sure Aya and I are not the only ones who'd love to see you catch a break. You're one of the good guys. ;)

You know, I really did identify with a lot of your posts in the past as you point out, I think it's part of the reason I'm so chuffed for the two of you. You're giving hope to the rest of us Neil ;)

You know, I really did identify with a lot of your posts in the past as you point out, I think it's part of the reason I'm so chuffed for the two of you. You're giving hope to the rest of us Neil ;)
And you're right to be hopeful, dude. Literally the seemingly impossible happened to me. I mean that.

I don't know what else to say but just... bide your time, do what you do — and stay hopeful. :)
You'll see what I mean someday, just like others told me.

Thanks so much for the well-wishing, too; it means a lot. ;)

I can just be satisfied with the warm feelings I get from watching them with their perspective love interests.
I do resonate with this though. I'm a huge animation buff in general, and it's always great to see the love story unfold between the characters involved. Even as seemingly unromantic as I am, I think you just end up projecting your own feelings and experiences onto them, and feel a sense of empathy, especially if you're watching that story unfold with someone you love; it makes it seem all the more meaningful, (even if it is only animated).

Incendiary you still have so much time ahead of you to meet someone, and you will :) enjoy life, don't "waste" it worrying about having someone, you have yourself and that's great because you are.

I'm 30 and single yet again so I can see myself nearing Bridget Jones territory cept she bloody found someone lol.

I have some interested in me but it's either not clicking for me back or it's interest in something casual.

Whilst I could do the latter, I feel at my age I shouldn't be wasting more time doing that stuff? I don't know.

My last 2 boyfriends have been younger than me too. Curse of falling for a person without other details as necessity lol.

@Neil.T thanks ever so much for sharing the story of you one time snorting milk through your nostrils many years ago when something made you laugh on T.V! 👍

🤣 😃

Back