Your viewing journal

Occultic 9 - Dropped - arrrrggghhhh I can take anymore. This anime is the biggest pile of **** I've every seen. It's pretentious crap, I've sat through 6 episodes and still don't have a clue what's happening. It assaults you brain with hyper fast dialogue making you wonder if you've accidentally hit the fast forward button.

I don't usually advise people to avoid shows but i'd make an exception in this case. Don't waste your time with it.

Its officially worse than my other pet hate anime, Shuffle!

KonoSuba ep5-6

I feel like this show badly wants to be Slayers, but it doesn't have the same lightness of touch. It's still very funny though.

I hope the dullahan guy comes back, he was pretty great.

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about Occultic 9 - I originally dropped it after the first episode, then picked it back up again as the third episode was actually really good / a pretty self contained story. But it's falling into its old habits again. That said, there's parts of its that are utterly beautifully animated (the character animation in particular).

Last week's viewing. I'm a week behind now thanks to dodgy internet.

Classicaloid
ep 4. Schubert's adventures through the modern world, not really understanding anything he's seeing. What an amazing, funny and endearing episode. Why can't all this series be so good?

Drifters
ep 4-5. At least this series is honest about the brutal methods used by these historical figures in their conquests, and isn't trying to make them out to be noble heroes or anything. Mainly for that reason I'm finding this series to be equally entertaining and fascinating to watch.

Izetta: The Last Witch ep 6.

Kiss Him, Not Me ep 4-5. Well, I was thinking they need to change up the storyline a little to keep it interesting, and they did.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans s2 ep 5. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to accept the storyline of this series. Child soldiers working alongside military in an official capacity? For a Canada based government? Nonsense, would never be accepted, and would be political suicide for any politician who even tried.

Occultic;Nine ep 3-4. The third episode gave me some hope for this series, though from what I just read on this thread it seems that hope may dissipate.

So I Can't Play H ep 1-12 (complete). While my internet was playing up over the last week I was watching this from my disc backlog. What a mistake it was for me to buy it without reading a review first. I assumed from the title that it was about someone having to give up playing eroge games, instead it's a generic ecchi series with supernatural battles, that is desperately trying to be DxD. The only point of interest I found was in how the final boss battle was in the middle of the series, and the end was a kind of post-apocalypse story caused by the protag's actions during that battle. Otherwise unremarkable.

The Great Passage ep 4.

Haven't seen the sixth episode yet, but I would go to bat for Occultic;Nine. It has some definite problems, but I do genuinely like it - I think its weird atmosphere of hysteria and delusion is offering something not I've seen in anime for a long time. It reminds me of Paranoia Agent.

Yuri on Ice-Episode 6

Yet another repetitive snooze fest intertwined with yaoi bait, which is about what I've come to expect at this point...

The Seven Deadly Sins-Episodes 13-15

Eh, I'm not sold on Gowther. His schtick isn't really doing a lot for me, and he isn't fighting, so I can't even appreciate him as in that regard.

The Place Promised in our Early Days - This was simply beautiful, if a bit short.

She and Her Cat (Rewatch) -
Still far better than the 2016 anime adaptation

Voices of a Distant Star -
Not bad, but the worst Shinkai work I've seen thus far.

Figured I'd update where I was with everything.

Flip Flappers: Episodes 1-6 - Episodes 3 and 6 further cement this as show of the year, still.

Occultic 9: Episodes 1-6 - Either the fast and loose plot pulls together at some point, or I'm an idiot for not being able to follow it, I can't decide. Gets a tentative thumbs up so far as I'm a sucker for the Durarara/Persona comparison.

Wagnaria 4:
Episodes 1-6 - Doesn't seem as charming as the first series, though it did take me a while to warm to that cast too.

Yuri on Ice-Episode 6

Yet another repetitive snooze fest intertwined with yaoi bait, which is about what I've come to expect at this point...
I'm trying to decide if that's a positive or not. Would I watch something with less than great content intertwined with "yuri bait"...
Battle Girls: Time Paradox / Sengoku Otome - Momoiro Paradox Episodes 1-13.
Dagnabit.

She and Her Cat (Rewatch) - Still far better than the 2016 anime adaptation
If you enjoyed She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- as much as I did, that's some seriously high praise. I'm guessing you probably didn't, oh well.

Hope that's being watched subbed gesu~
I felt the dub made a too literal translation even for our main girl gesu~
But... "Let's get Kraken!"

Afraid not, I love Christine Marie Cabanos too much.

I'm trying to decide if that's a positive or not. Would I watch something with less than great content intertwined with "yuri bait"...

Eh, I suppose it does depend on your view point. Personally, I find the fan service in Yuri on Ice to be incredibly distracting and, considering it's mostly there for comedy, painfully unfunny. However, I'm not into Yaoi at all, so maybe if you're into that kind of thing, it's appealing.

hT5Bs14.jpg

Sings virtues of subbed Squid Girl, doesn't even get her verbal tick right de geso~

Eh, I suppose it does depend on your view point. Personally, I find the fan service in Yuri on Ice to be incredibly distracting and, considering it's mostly there for comedy, painfully unfunny. However, I'm not into Yaoi at all, so maybe if you're into that kind of thing, it's appealing.
I suppose that applies to everything really.

I should get around to watching the show at some point to see what I think. It sounds kind of interesting but some comments make me wonder if it'd work so well for me. Something else that comments I've read imply is that it'll be one of those shows where the ending (or at least general direction it goes in through later episodes) could easily make or break the whole thing for many people.

I might actually end up waiting till nearer the end of the year and trying to catch up on lots of shows at the same time, I often seem to struggle to keep up with streaming for some reason (though I probably haven't watched as many shows in general recently, which is a bit annoying).

The Seven Deadly Sins-Episodes 16-18

I'm so glad they decided to have some of the Holy Knights defect and defend the Sins. It would be kind of weird every single one of them was content with Hendrickson's totally insane plan.

KonoSuba ep5-6

I feel like this show badly wants to be Slayers, but it doesn't have the same lightness of touch. It's still very funny though.

I hope the dullahan guy comes back, he was pretty great.
It really is funny. Personally I think the show is best at its raunchiest, and so episodes 8, 9, and the OVA are absolute comedy classics in my book. I eagerly await your impressions. Aqua fan here, btw. Why the hell has nobody licensed KonoSuba yet?

For once I'm not gonna be an **** and will avoid making derogatory comments about Slayers and its hilarious "Lina has a huge appetite/is on her period" humour. For reals.

Back