What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

Been on a Rammstein kick again, this was after a discussion with co-workers about learning european languages and one co-worker saying the extent their German reaches is what they've learned through Rammstein songs which along with Kraftwerk is probably my extent of grasp of thr German Langauge as I never took German in School. So since then I've been watching pretty much all the Making of featurettes for their Music Videos, as most people are aware they do have quite the reputation with regards to their music videos, it's safe to say they are the only act around who's entire music video catalogue is certainly talk-worthy!

Sometime ago I read an article on Shibuya Kei, an extremely broad genre of Japanese music which began in the mid 1990's. I started searching up on the music and didn't like a great deal of it until I came across Kahimi Karie who is more style than substance (she seems to got her career kick started due tot he fact she was Cornelius' girlfriend and all of her early releases were through his indie label), however some of her songs are just amazing. I have had "Le Roi Soleil" stuck in my head for a couple of weeks. Yes, a song about Louis XIV written by a Scotsman (Momus) in French. The mid 1990's seemed to be an utterly crazy time in the Japanese music industry.

Was making my occasional trip to Liverpool yesterday and only realised/found out that The Killers were playing the Echo Arena that evening, so after some pondering decided to throw my change at the ticket website and get one, and after seeing them live they truly are an example of a group that "totally suit watching live in arenas, just listening to the albums doesn't do them justice", as they have a heck of a lot of bass and boat load of swagger. Brandon Flowers certainly knows how to hold a crowd and the lights and visual effects were on full display, decent night.

@IncendiaryLemon I don't think it's meant to be taken literally. And apparently it's not:
Drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr. stated that the song's lyrics were "largely about how when we were younger we felt invincible. What it meant to be a 'man' in your 20's. Sort of your chest out, the breadwinner, nothing could stop you, invincible sort of thing. It's sort of tongue-and-cheeking that, how that is not really the point of being a man at all. It’s actually more about compassion and empathy."

Despite its upbeat sound, Brandon Flowers told NME the lyrics actually come from a place of regret about who he was when the band started.

Though I have to say I'm not overly keen on it from a musical standpoint. I really liked earlier Killers albums despite their diverse sounds but I've not even bought Wonderful Wonderful because I wasn't really taken with anything I heard from it.

@IncendiaryLemon I don't think it's meant to be taken literally. And apparently it's not:

Though I have to say I'm not overly keen on it from a musical standpoint. I really liked earlier Killers albums despite their diverse sounds but I've not even bought Wonderful Wonderful because I wasn't really taken with anything I heard from it.

I mean, I could've guessed it was meant jokingly, but that doesn't really make it any more enjoyable to listen to in my opinion, and they're not emphasizing that element of irony enough. Run for Cover is a far better song off that album, although I'm not exactly super into that one either.

The amazing synths somehow add to the sublime melancholy of the song. Makes me Sad but appreciative. Space Dandy has some great music anyway but combined with the late legend that is David Bowie, it's just awesome, baby!

Here's one for @Baggie_Saiyan ahead of our game today. Fond memories of this fixture from last season for me :D

EDIT: Blimey! Thought it'd be a lot closer than that. Pulis out?
10000% if you saw the entire game I'm sure you now know why we want him out. I mean Chelsea didn't even have to try, Alonso must have been like wow 7 defensive players on the pitch and no one picked me up? Happy days.

Like legit playing 3 CB and 3 holding players again ... It was embarrassing against Huddersfield 2 weeks ago and equally here on the basis Chelsea didn't have to break sweat. That second goal I bet Morata was like "wow that worked for once not in training".

Most exciting young player left on the bench... Again. And now Pulis is complaining Chadli is injured WHEN HE'S ONLY PLAYED HIM LIKE TWICE ALL SEASON. Man is so full of himself and full of excuses. 3 wins in 23 or something is a joke. How that man is proud of that is beyond me...

Listening a couple of favorite albums from a couple of years ago. Wednesday Campanella's "Zipang" album is one of my recent favourites. I think it's far better than the material they've released so far through their major label deal. Unsure why Warner Bros hasn't decided to try to break this band internationally as they have a lot of potential to crossover into an English speaking market.

Also still playing Grimes' "Art Angels" album quite regularly. Really looking forward to whatever she does next.

Though I should buy their albums, I only have a 2002 compilation of Jesus and Mary Chain singles, which I seem to play a lot when I'm doing housework.

Back