What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
I'll start off this thread since I've been listening to one heck of an album.

Many of you regulars will know I'm a huge fan of Gojira's works (genre: Progressive Metal, Groove Metal). Their latest album Magma just got released and I'm loving it. It has a special sound to it that Mastodon also pulled off with their The Hunter album, but it works really well with this. This album is like the calm before the storm in terms of metal (they have done heavy stuff before with most of their albums prior).

Favourite tracks I like - The Shooting Star, Silvera, Magma, Pray

You can check out the album on Spotify in its entirety for free.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Buzz201

Mad Scientist
I shall continue with perhaps the polar opposite, I realised earlier that Kanye West's The Life of Pablo has finally be made available for purchase via his website. (This was some time ago, but I'm out of the loop.)

Like most of Kanye's recent stuff, it's interesting, if not good. It ranges from the audaciousness of Famous to the more reflective later half of the album, with songs like Real Friends. Parts of it even make you believe Kanye West is an actual human being. And even if you aren't a fan of the lyrical content (and many won't be), Kanye's albums are always interesting from a production standpoint.

My personal favourite song is FML, featuring The Weeknd, but I'm not sure there's a song on the album you couldn't relisten to 100 times and not gain anything new from it.

(N.B. I've linked to Spotify, because Kanye's still being silly about making the album available in places people can share easily.)
 

Jinjer

Completely Average High School Student
gotten into pizzicato five's discography

they're a japanese "shibuya-kei" act from the 80s and 90s and their songs emulate that 60s and 70s (western) sound, so expect lots of references from those decades

a pretty good "album band" for me (what i'd call bands that make albums that sound better when listened to from start to finish as opposed to just picking a song or two then throwing the rest aside), something i can listen to while on the way to work and stuff
 

qaiz

Pokémon Master
Five albums I'm currently listening to:

Akiko Yano - JAPANESE GIRL (1976.07.25)
  • Phenomenal soundtrack from one of my favorite artists of all time, it's also her first ever album.
Stand out track from the album:
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Beauty (1989.11.21)
  • A mystifying album by the legend himself, the album displays his incredible range and is without a doubt one of his best albums to date.
Stand out track from the album:
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]

Mariya Takeuchi - University Street (1979)
  • A fun, poppy and nostalgic soundtrack that takes a trip down memory lane.
Stand out track from the album:
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]

YMO - BGM (1981.03.21)
  • A fantastic, psychedelic album from the masters of electronic music, YMO.
Stand out track from the album:
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]

Psy-S - Atlas (1989.07.21)
  • A nice album from one of my favorite bands, thanks City Hunter.
Stand out track from the album:
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Irony

Railgun
AUKN Staff
qaiz said:

YMO - BGM (1981.03.21)
  • A fantastic, psychedelic album from the masters of electronic music, YMO.
Stand out track from the album:
[spoilerbutton]
[/spoilerbutton]
Enjoyed this one in particular. Maybe it's the production, but the vocals are very Bowie-esque.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Man these myspace era Wiley instrumentals were some of his best ever.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

-Danielle-

Pokémon Master
Oddly enough I've been loving some Selena Gomez stuff.

The new Korn song is AMAZING. I'm also now in love with the Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 OST and need to find out how to get my hands on it!!
 

-Danielle-

Pokémon Master
I've been listening to a lot of Lady Gaga, Prodigy and Chase & Status through the day at work to get me through it. Keeps me in a remotely good mood.
 

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
AUKN Staff

It kind of passed my by on release but I decided to finally check out Slipknot's latest album. I wouldn't go as far to say I'm a massive Slipknot fan, I love Vol 3. The Subliminal Verses, but everything else has been kind of lukewarm for me. However, I am really enjoying what I've heard so far from The Grey Chapter though. It does seem a little heavier than Vol 3, but it's still got it's more melodic moments. The highlight so far has to be Killpop, which reminds me an awful lot of Vermillion from Vol 3, with a slow and gradual build up to a brutal finale. Other highlights include AOV, The Devil in I and Sarcastrophe.
 

Blaize

Hunter

Discovered these JAM TRIP albums a few months back and I just LOVE this Macross one. I will definitely be getting this CD eventually as it's just too good.
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo

Man, like 80% of what I listen to is Grime, the other 20% is mostly Shenmue music. #Livinthatmanchildlife

Maybe this is why I have problems?
 

mrclt1994

Hunter

Man, like 80% of what I listen to is Grime, the other 20% is mostly Shenmue music. #Livinthatmanchildlife

Maybe this is why I have problems?
Don't worry, I listen to 90% Grime/UK Rap and 10% J Rock.

Been banging Dexplicit instrumentals all day long:

Dexplicit - Big Picture < Double S went in on this in that 2007 set by Logan Sama w/ Chip, Dot Rotten, Griminal, P Money etc.

Dexplicit - Steamtrain VIP < Skepta and Ghetts tore eachother apart on this
 

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
So I've gone back to listening to The Dear Hunter after discovering their fifth album focused on one long story is about to be released (Act V: Hymns with the Devil in Confessional). Their songs Gloria and The Revival were a great listen.

For anyone wondering, they're a Progressive Indie Rock band with a cool tone to it. I very much recommend giving the album The Color Spectrum a listen, it's a 5 star album in my books. The Color Spectrum is a 9 EP set with 4 songs per EP, with each EP having their own tone to it; for example Black is Hard Rock/Metal, Red is Rock, Orange is more Alternative Rock, Indigo is like Electronic Rock, Violet is Progressive Rock etc.

All of their albums are on Spotify if you have that.

Song examples:




 
Top