What manga are you reading now?

chaos said:
Arbalest said:
CitizenGeek said:
Is the Haruhi manga actually any good? :s

I have heard otherwise, but i really can't say for sure myself. Its never appealed to me though really. I'd personally just recommend going just for the novels instead, though ok only the first one has been released so far.

On topic: Read through D Gray-Man volumes 4-5 in recent days, very enjoyable so far, has the shounen feel to it, but its got its own characteristics too which make it interesting. Also up-to-date with all 3 main SJ series(Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) and a couple others i read.
I've read about two volumes of it and it retells the anime story word by word. Nothing new.

From what i hear, it does have "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" in it as well, which is taken from the novels and still to be animated, bar that there is nothing new from what i know. As said, go for the original material ;p Better than the anime and manga.

I read Vampire Knight Volume 1 and Gentlemen's Alliance Volume 1.
I never seem to get around to watching Vampire Knight so I decided to read the Manga instead. It was pretty decent, i will definitely get the next volume, but i find it a little hard to accept Vampire stories other than the Twilight Saga now.
The Gentlemen's Alliance I enjoyed a little less than Vampire Knight. I found it hard to accept the main character, and the storyline is nothing new, but I enjoyed it more as it went along.

Hunter X Hunter.

Right, After reading it again from scratch (I stopped at the end of the Ryodan arc the first time around) I've finished it all reading through the Chimera Ant arc. Some parts did annoying the hell out of me, especially the few chapters where the art is completely half-assed, but overall, it was awesome, not as good as the Genai Ryodan arc, but it kept me interested. And now the waiting game...

The first four volumes of GTO arrived today, and I started reading it. I've gone through the first two volumes so far.

I like it a lot. It's funny, serious where it needs to be and has an adult edge that most manga/anime lack. It's as perverse as most other comedies released in manga and/or anime form but it never strays too far from reality.

Japan really is a world away from the UK. Can you imagine what the newspaper headlines would be if someone in this country had created it?

"Vile story that glorifies peadophillia. Totally shameless, showing graphic images of school girls underwear and making jokes about a disgusting issue. It should be banned."

For example, the other day I created a random thread on EG, jokingly mentioning the world "jailbait." The response? Someone taking the thread off topic to question if I'm a kiddy fiddler for not being a holy enough man to not feel attraction towards girls who could be 16+.

...Anyway, the point is that Japan must be a wonderful place for perverts to live. It's a mans dream to work somewhere where 1000's of hot young women walk around in mini-skirts, and it makes for a funny as hell story.

It's too bad the series goes on for something silly like 38 volumes. With book prices as they are, I'd need to pay £6+ for most of the books.

34 x 6 = £204 ;_________________________________;

GTO is "only" 25 volumes. I've been stalled on 15 for about 4 years because as the story progresses Onizuka himself plays an increasingly minor role. In the last couple of volumes I read he was reduced to cameo appearances when some comic relief was called for. No doubt he does become the main focus again at some point, though, and I do plan to complete the series one day...

That sounds rather crappy. Thus far, Onizuka has been the star of the story as he's helped people in comical fashion. At this point, I can't see how the series will work without him playing a key role in events.

Did you buy all the volumes you have new?

fabricatedlunatic said:
GTO is "only" 25 volumes. I've been stalled on 15 for about 4 years because as the story progresses Onizuka himself plays an increasingly minor role. In the last couple of volumes I read he was reduced to cameo appearances when some comic relief was called for. No doubt he does become the main focus again at some point, though, and I do plan to complete the series one day...

Just went to check and V15 is actually a nice one and Onizuka is the focus of the story there. On 16, the focus is slightly changed to the students, but not all the manga, I'd say about half of it is focused on Onizuka and the other half is focused on the rest.

There are a couple volumes that are awesome and there are others that are a few (very few) that are average. But all things considered, onizuka is a great series.

Now, if only I could find the DVD's for cheap... :/

Fabio, you haven't sent me anything for a lengthy period now. When we first 'bonded', and you sent me a free copy of P3, I thought it would be a fruitful relationship. However, since then no gifts have arrived at my door. My birthday has come and gone (August the 3rd, FYI) and yet you haven't sent me any gifts. It's painful to endure such cold treatment.

As you no longer care for GTO - and I'm SURE it isn't worth reading - how about you send me volumes 5-14? I'll even cover postage for you.

I started reading Claymore last night. The art was pretty good but not as impressive as I'd hoped. The artist really strggled with emotions at times, so much in fact that people look happy when they should've been afraid, or just indifferent. Raki looked different than he does in the anime, also - it's like the anime team attempted to make him less plain looking.

I still like it, me being a dark fantasy nut and all, and I know the best has yet to come. Claymore wasn't a great starter in animated form, and it had terrific colours and music then, so I never expected the first volume or two to be jaw dropping in black and white.

Back