What manga are you reading now?

Haha my thoughts exactly. Although I am concerned that the anime is going to cram too much in to wrap it all up in that single episode, there's still a decent amount left!
Yeah the limitations of the anime have largely been down to how much they have tried to cram into it, but I still enjoy it. But then again I'm a simple girl, as long as THAT bit gets animated next week I am gonna be very happy. 🥺

Natsume and Natsume volume 2 - This volume gave us some background on the two main characters, which got me a little more attached to them. Still unconvinced I'd be following this one if not for it being on Azuki, but it's an nice way to pass the time once a week.

Full Clearing Another World Under a Goddess with Zero Believers volume 7 (LN) - Author says in the afterward we're headed into the climax of the series now but there's still another 3 volumes out in Japanese and no sign of Vol 10 being the end, so I'm not quite so convinced...

Cherry Magic! volume 6 - Still very sweet and I've been enjoying this storyline as the leads have to deal with the more... adult I suppose, side of their relationship. Are they committed enough for the hurdles they face? I'm sure they are, but it's entertaining to watch it play out all the same. The afterword is talking about the TV drama which got me into the series originally (very grateful CR licensed that), but reminds me we've still yet to get the movie over here. :(

Reviews to follow for:
The Death Mage volume 1 (LN)
Last Gender Volume 2
Sweet Poolside (complete)
Run Away with Me, Girl volume 2

My Love Mix-Up! Volume 2 - Still really adorable and sweet and the funny expressions the characters do sometimes make me laugh :)

Kare Kano Volume 18 - Still fully intending to finish this series, a powerful volume about the past generation's pain and choices, leading up to the present day's situation.

Yuri Couple c1-37 - Just a laid back web manga I would categorise under "404: men not found". Completely insubstantial fluff with no conflict whatsoever. In other words really delightful.

Secret of the Princess vol 1 (end) - Even lesser works from Morinaga-sensei are worth reading, and one volume is not long enough for her to make it too dramatic. Warm fuzzies.

Sweet Guilty Love Bites vol 1 (end) - Collection of three yuri stories about women working at a hostess club. The second story about a single mother afraid to enter a relationship for the sake of he daughter is the highlight, but they are all good. They each get just enough pages (about 50-60) to make you like the characters too. A bit spicy at places but it serves the stories.

If We Leave on the Dot vol 1-4 (end) - I'm an absolute sucker for OL romance stories and this one was had a good balance of sweetness and conflict. These two are just heart meltingly adorable. Only hate that I had to use Manga Planet to read it because their web viewer on anything but mobile is an unintuitive piece of crap. Had to switch to my phone in the end.

2DK, G Pen, Alarm Clock vol 1-8 (end) - Really compelling story about two roommates falling in love. Has the dynamic where one of them is a mature and responsible adult whereas the other is a slob with a heart of gold. Lot of drama so if you don't like the kind of story where they don't end up together until the end, not one for you. Had me yelling "IDIOT LESBIANS" at my screen when they kept both going through self doubt about it.

Watari-kun's ****** Is About to Collapse vol 1
One of the free volumes from the Bookwalker Kodansha sale and one that doesn't have an anime, so I thought I'd check it out.
Seems to be a romance with some comedic and dramatic elements, but the relationships so far are mostly weird. The central character is a bit of a siscon and she similarly a bit of a brocon, then there's the childhood friend who is very stalkerish and the aunt they live with (because dead parents, of course!) has issues too, seems she's also a brocon and hates that he left and now he's gone has seemingly transferred the hate (and possibly the love) onto the MC! There's also a possible candidate who is a fellow committee member at school and seems the only "normal" girl so far. Not sure I'm going to continue, only just above 7 on MAL.

Dragon Ball Super - Chapter 91

So it seems this will be covering Super Hero which is fine by me as I enjoyed that movie a lot and in this chapter they have expanded a little as well as have a few subtle changes but nothing which would affect anything major for the time being. As with previous arcs in the manga it'll always end the same as in the anime, even if what happens in-between plays out slightly differently, makes for more of an interesting read though.

Just read 'Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossom Pink' by Morinaga Milk vol 1-2 (end)

Ahhhhhh, Morinaga-sensei's work always fills my soul. The oneshot stories from part one were good too but the short series about the two childhood friends turned lovers that's spread across the two volumes is just so amazing. I don't think any other mangaka could condense such a lovely romance down to a mere seven chapters, there's a reason Morinaga is considered an absolute artist by anyone even slightly interested in yuri manga. She's such a unique talent.

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 128

Hajimeteno Gal ch 151 - 152

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 94.1 - 94.3

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch 170

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 266 - 268

Tales of Wedding Rings ch 75

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 104

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 95

Otorimonogatari
Been a while since I last read a Monogatri book. It's a good story but it's not the easiest read this one. Nadeko is so shy that she doesn't use capital letters properly and deliberately misspells words. Essentially this volume requires more effort to actually read! Luckily she's not a usual narrator for the series.

Audiobooks
86 vol 1
I really enjoyed this. The first couple of hours are all exposition and a bit of a drag but once it finally gets going it is very good. It's full of heavy themes but the 2 main characters are very engaging.

Overlord vol 7
Another fun entry of Ainz working his way towards the top of the food chain. These books pack in so many likable characters they're so easy to listen to!

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Never read any Kafka before but someone at work reccomended it and its only 2 hours long so gave it a go. It's very good but also very odd. For it's length it manages to pack a real tragic punch.

The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson
Yet another fantasy masterpiece by the Lord Ruler of the genre. He really opens up the Mistborn series into the greater Cosmere which is really nice to finally see happen. And the characters in this 2nd era of Mistborn have been an absolute joy to have adventures with. Cant wait to see what era 3 will be like!

Defying Destiny by Andrew Rowe
I'm really into this author now. This third entry in this series is very good and exciting and shows how it ties to a character I met in one of his other series. Will move onto another of his series set in this world soon.

Bungo Stray Dogs Official Comic Anthology volume 2 (JP) - Another fun assortment of stories featuring the Bungo cast.

Happiness volume 9 - Catching up on this one thanks to the recent Kodansha sale. A goal for the year is for me to finish off all the available Oshimi works in English, especially the ones I have near the end already lol.

The Sage of Lion Court volume 4 - It was recently announced that this is finished with Volume 6, so I doubt there'll be a satisfying ending based on where it is right now.

Young Lady Albert is Courting Disaster volume 1 (LN) - A fun villainess story that has ran for a further 7 volumes in Japan. I'll be interested to see how it has gone on for that long given everything felt wrapped up quite neatly by the end of this volume. Definitely one for fans of Bakarina and the like due to the entertaining antics of the main character.

Hitorijime My Hero volume 13 - A new character makes their debut! Another enjoyable entry in the series, although I felt like there was a feeling of disjointedness between where chapters ended and where the next began. I think I have complained about this with Hitorijime before though, it has just been awhile since I've read one so I forgot I often have this problem.

Survival Strategies of a Corrupt Aristocrat volume 1 (LN) - Been awhile since I've spent the majority of a book thinking I'd drop the series after finishing and then toward the end it got its teeth into me with a reveal I was not expecting. Not only was the MC reincarnated into a game world, but the hero is also a reincarnate and she's the games original designer! So now perhaps against my better judgement, I shall be carrying on with it...

A Cave King's Road to Paradise: Climbing to the Top with My Almighty Mining Skills volume 1 (LN) - I almost don't want to carry on into Volume 2 with this one since I know it got axed there and Volume 1 had a pretty good end point. Nothing particularly special about this one, it's a story about a prince whose exiled to a remote island where he discovers he has a special skill for mining. While digging out the island he meets new friends and makes a town of sorts, it's pretty chill honestly. But the fact its axed and nothing very original does stop me recommending it to most people unless you're a big fan of this kind of story.

I've Become an Omega Today (complete) - Enjoyed this one a lot more than I originally thought I would! Both the main characters are likeable and I appreciate that the book spent a lot of time with them soul-searching for the right answer to the situation they found themselves in. The only thing I was a little disappointed by was the fact there wasn't any kind of resolution for the two side characters, but after I finished reading I discovered that there's a three volume spin-off about them. Fingers crossed Yen license that as well...

Bungo Stray Dogs: Beast volume 4 (complete) - And this 'what if' storyline finally comes to an end in manga form. I confess I'm not the biggest fan of Shiwasu Hoshikawa's artwork (which is a shame given they're also working on the Dazai, Chuuya, Age Fifteen spin-off currently), but I will say their style comes into its own for a battle sequences which we spent a lot of time in this time around. It hit all the emotional highs of the light novel its based on, so honestly I'm satisfied and glad I picked it up.

Continuing on as they have been:
The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting volume 6
Queen's Quality volume 16

Reviews to follow for:
A Sister's All You Need volume 14 (LN, complete)
My Coworker has a Secret volume 2 (complete)

Kare Kano Volume 20 - "Why did you look at them if they were naughty?" "A young girl's curiosity!" I love this manga for so many reasons and one of them is how much more sex-positive it is than a lot of other manga out there, that exchange made me laugh so hard XD Can't wait to read the final volume! :)

Kare Kano Volume 21 COMPLETE - OMG I finished it! Well worth reading, a beautiful, poignant series with some very funny moments as well, it gets pretty intensely dark and heavy for a while late in it's run and the side stories were great but perhaps would have been better to put at the end of the paperback edition? Anyway, I loved taking a journey through the lives of these characters, my only other criticism is the number of girls in their teens who end up paired off with men in their mid-to-late 20s at the end is a lil questionable tbh. But I never felt like I was wasting my time reading this series, I got so much from it! :)

Blood on the Tracks Volume 1 - Regular visitors to this forum will probably not be surprised to learn that I loved this and can't wait to read more of it, it was so deliciously unsettling yet with characters one can empathise with, gets a thumbs up from me :)

Last edited:
Yeah Kare Kano is a really cool series

I didn't read lots of the manga, only a couple volumes, the anime was awesome. I will read the rest of the manga sometime... probably.............

I'm reading Cardacaptor Sakura which I think is the same thing I was reading when I posted here about a year ago!!! Yep thats what I am like

I also have Rayearth omnibus 2 at the ready, which I am sure I also mentioned here.

I'm near to completing Biomega

I have Hellsing at the ready. When I have the house to myself, I will play my new Ruins of Beverast on vinyl, high volume, and read some hellsing

I was listening to some Cocteau Twins vinyl whilst reading CCS, it was a pleasant combination

Peter Pan (REREAD) - I have only read this once before many years ago, but it made such a strong impression on me and I bought a lovely hardback edition (Chiltern Classics with the foil embossed cover) in early January around the time of my birthday, having now reread the entire book I can say it fully holds up, the writing style is utterly magical and it's a poignant, haunting story of what it is to be young and what it is to grow up. I will probably buy a fully illustrated edition at some point after doing some research and reread it again - it's really something special, one of the best works of classic children's literature, for sure :)

Blood on the Tracks Volume 2 - Wow this is some heavily traumatic stuff. Def worth reading but for sure not for everyone. Poor Shigeru and Seiichi. I was legit horrified thinking about how Shigeru will struggle his whole life now because of what Seiichi's mother did (I don't view disability as bad but her actions were malicious and violent in the extreme and I was so upset seeing him lying there on the ground), and Seiichi's just a child he shouldn't be being dragged into this at all, I think one thing manga like this do well is make the point that society often treats children so badly that even if in theory there should be somewhere safe for kids who's parents are abusive to go and live instead, there often isn't. Which is bleak, but for precisely that reason important to discuss and talk about. :(

Back