What manga are you reading now?

Adachi and Shimamura has been on my radar for sure. I'm gonna start reading more of the series involving high schoolers now, I'd been cutting out a huge number of series for basically no solid reason.

And thank you, I've not been eating enough and lost a pretty noticeable amount of weight in the last two weeks but feel a bit better so hopefully I'm on the mend.

We all have our biases tbf, but good, I'm glad to hear this! And fingers crossed that your health continues to improve :)

Citrus vol 1-10

This might be a controversial opinion in certain circles, but I really like it. I can see why the first few chapters and the bit the anime covered might put a lot of people off though. It becomes a lot better after those unfortunate bits.

Also, just started Citrus +

Last edited:
Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon vol 1-4 (end). I can't discuss my positive feelings on this one without spoiling major plot points so spoilers below.

Awww. It's exceedingly rare to see ace characters in something, let alone as the main characters. And everything was just handled so well right down to the non-standard confession. Really touching and I feel it was a really mature story about self acceptance and defying rigid societal expectations. Also had a lot to say about the way society treats women specifically, and contained basically no tired manga tropes. Just a very well realised, adult story.

Last edited:
Kare Kano Volume 11 - Still good, am interested to see how this side story resolves in Vol. 12 then see more Yukino and Arima stuff also I'm pretty sure Arima is bisexual/biromantic as well which I dunno what if anything they'll do with that but he does give off that kind of feeling when he interacts with Kazuma in particular.

My Cute Little Kitten c1-15

It upsets me greatly that this manga has been going since 2017 and has only had 15 chapters due to Gallette being crowdfunded and only putting out a magazine several times a year. It's a Morinaga Milk story, it's got way too much drama for such long gaps between chapters and now I'm completely hooked in. 😭

Kare Kano Volume 12 - I was more engaged by this volume than I expected to be, perhaps partly cuz I made a good choice of music to have on in the background while I read it (it is focused mostly on Kazuma and Tsubasa and has a heavy music focus as he is in an indie band so I wanted a "soundtrack" that would compliment it relatively well - I actually chose some pretty instrumental modern semi-ambient stuff and it worked, but I guess I could also have gone with something like Franz Ferdinand or The Strokes). I'm glad that in Volume 13 we'll be back to focusing on Yukino and Arima but these side story volumes were genuinely good and it was a pleasure to read them overall :)

Kare Kano Volume 12 - I was more engaged by this volume than I expected to be, perhaps partly cuz I made a good choice of music to have on in the background while I read it (it is focused mostly on Kazuma and Tsubasa and has a heavy music focus as he is in an indie band so I wanted a "soundtrack" that would compliment it relatively well - I actually chose some pretty instrumental modern semi-ambient stuff and it worked, but I guess I could also have gone with something like Franz Ferdinand or The Strokes). I'm glad that in Volume 13 we'll be back to focusing on Yukino and Arima but these side story volumes were genuinely good and it was a pleasure to read them overall :)
@RadFemHedonist: I love that you listen to music while reading! (I do that too.) Do you find that after listening to music you've used as a soundtrack to a manga or novel that when you hear that music again, it brings the characters and situations back to mind?

@RadFemHedonist: I love that you listen to music while reading! (I do that too.) Do you find that after listening to music you've used as a soundtrack to a manga or novel that when you hear that music again, it brings the characters and situations back to mind?
You've reminded me that when the Marshall Mathers LP 2 came out I got pokemon leaf green on am emulator on my phone that week. Spent a whole week playing pokemon and listening to that album on repeat. Eminem even mentions Onyx at one point. Now whenever I hear those songs pokemon flash through my mind lol

Occasionally it does but I think for me it is often a more transient joy - as in it will greatly enhance it at the time but afterwards I won't necessarily constantly think of the two as linked/think of the manga when I listen to the same music again. That said I do constantly compose AMVs and original animated music video sequences in my mind when I am listening to music most of the time anyway, so there's that! When I binge-read The Flowers of Evil by Shuzo Oshimi I listened to Hesitation Marks by Nine Inch Nails and Foals' third album Holy Fire a lot as I recall though I think Holy Fire was maybe more when I was reading Knights of Sidonia by Tsutomu Nihei? It really added something (both of those albums are somewhat divisive I believe but I love both of them!) :)

Failed Princesses vols 1 & 2
A Yuri with the popular girl x wallflower set up. The popular girl is your typical gyaru and she's a bit too pushy, she practically forces the wallflower to change her appearance because she thinks everyone should be cute, but she also quickly becomes fiercely protective of her and there are some sweet moments. And just when it seemed like it was tailing off a little a transfer student is introduced. The author explained it was going to be only 2 volumes, but his editor said that he should keep going, which explains the dip and pick up. It got 6 in the end.
Was just checking the first volume as it's in the current Bookwalker event. Ended up blasting through the first volume, so bought the rest and continued.
*Affiliate link

Dragon Ball Super - Chapter 90

Getting closer to Super Hero so I wonder if they will cover the movie or skip it with a few panels covering it like previous movies. Has been great to see the story focus on Goten and Trunks though, gives me early Buu arc vibes which is my favourite arc of the Z portion of the series.

Failed Princesses vol 3
School trip and the new characters stir the cauldron of emotions.
I'm not sure why, but the scene in the bath house surprised me a little when nipples were shown, seemed a bit more of a wholesome manga than that, but then again it's a completely natural scene in Japan.

Haven't updated on my yuri binge in a few days so:

A Lonely Female CEO Falls For a Lesbian Prostitute in Seconds vol 1 (end) - Kinda meh. Had a couple good comedic moments but the emotional payoff simply wasn't given enough time in a single volume to be any good.

Fu-fu vol 1 and 2 (end) - Almost no substance to it whatsoever but it was light and fluffy and didn't drag on quite long enough to start getting boring.

Still Sick vol 1-3 (end) - Absolutely adorable. Both funny and heartwarming, with just a little bit of angst. Has a very fun opening dynamic between a jaded ex-mangaka and a rabid doujin writer. Hugely recommended.

Adachi and Shimamura c1-29 (ongoing) - I really like where the story was going when I got to the latest chapter. Up until then it felt like the plot was going to be Adachi spinning her wheels for the next 20 volumes so I'll see where it goes.

Citrus+ vol 1-5 (ongoing) - I mean I really like Citrus so I naturally like the sequel to Citrus. Althugh I kinda like Citrus+ more because it really mellows out and stops with the constant drama. Settles into a more slice of life affair where the central couple develop their relationship. Spoiler: the second to last currently available chapter has a coming out scene that was truly heartwarming.

Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline c1-13 (ongoing) - One of the few yuri manga I have read that actually makes a lot of effort to directly address homophobia as a central plot point. Chapter one and the entire setup for the series involves familial rejection and the protagonist running away. Spoiler for later chapter: One of the latest chapters establishes a romantic relationship with an age gap I'm not entirely comfortable with given the age of the main character. Not illegal, but still slightly offputting, It is however framed in the context of her finding acceptance and love in contrast to the earlier stuff, so I dunno, I'm gonna see where it goes with that.

I think that's all of them. 😅

Last edited:
Failed Princesses vol 6 (complete)
I was wondering what was going to happen seeing as the confession came right at the end of the last volume, but there was more drama to come rather than some happy times and a dull ending. No, our wallflower heroine rejects completely the confession due to past trauma making her think she isn't worthy of the love of such a beautiful person. Through some interaction with the other characters we've met along the way she reconsiders her position and has another talk with the other girl which was quite moving and after more consideration answers in the positive! The last bit comes after a time skip of 3 months which felt like we missed out on some more interactions, but that was the only complaint about the last volume.
Overall the pacing was quite quick in the first volume, but slowed down during the second one, probably due to the change in the thinking about the length of the series. The story had plenty of drama and also some fun moments and I liked it quite a bit.
The art is very nice, but a few characters looked a bit too alike which got confusing sometimes.
8/10

Double House c1-3 (end)

Genuinely quite surprised by this. A manga from the 90s centring around a transgender woman and it's actually good. The character is well written, has a lovely platonic (for as far as the manga got) relationship with a cis woman nextdoor, and she isn't there purely to have trauma inflicted on her. I'm really really impressed with this.

The problem is, the ******* thing clearly didn't find an audience in the late 90s and abruptly ends on the third chapter at the conclusion of a story about a side character. These characters who I have fallen in love with are just about established only for the rug to be pulled out. Real shame. I honestly think if it had been able to have a few volumes, this could have become a seminal work of queer literature. I am so upset right now.

Back