What manga are you reading now?

I started reading Lament of the Lamb last night and didn't stop until I'd read all the volumes in my possession. Ever since I saw the title, which struck me as having far more meaning than most, and the depressing volume cover art I had a feeling the series was for me. I tried hard to win auctions for the first 5 volumes without even reading thefirst chapter, eventually getting the first 5 volumes after having to win a second auction for volumes 1-5. My assumption that it'd be right up my street was on the money -- I couldn't stop reading once I started.

I'm not quite sure what the title means. If it was 'Lament of the Wolf' I'd understand because the main two characters are vampires, which makes them predators, who suffer because of their need to prey on others. Maybe the title refers to the supporting cast who all suffer because the main characters push everyone else away, causing them pain? I don't know. But whatever the meaning behind the title, I like it because it makes me think.

If I were to describe the series, I'd say it's like Saikano, just without the childish dialogue and over the top drama that ruined it. It's very realistic in the way it portrays how people with a craving for the blood of others would act. The main character distances himself from his previous life once it becomes clear he can no longer resist the urge to drink the blood of others. It scares him how, for an unknown reason, his craving 'attacks' always occur when he's near a girl from school he has feelings for, and he's haunted by a dream he had of himself drinking blood from her neck. He assumes (or rather, I assume he assumes) the reasoning behind him lusting for her blood is because of his feelings for her and lust for her body in a sexual sense. His only solution is to stop going to school in order to avoid seeing her and risking hurting her. He has to make other similar sacrifices as well, like putting a wall between himself and his uncle and auntie, who had raised him since he was three.

The characters are all complex. The relationship between Kazuna (the main character) and his sister, Chizuna, is a difficult one to understand. They aren't anything like brother and sister because they grew up apart, and the way they act together isn't how a brother and sister should act. Kazuna drinks blood from his sister, which in itself can be viewed as a sexual act, and they've kissed each other on the mouth more than once. And, adding on to an already twisted relationship, it's said that Kazuna resembles his father and Chizuna her mother. Chizuna also has something of a father complex because, before he died, they lived together alone in insolation, her father viewing her as a replacement for her mother (she died) because of her resembling her mother, and Chizuna was dependent on her father because he gave her blood to prevent her attacking anyone or going crazy. The relationship between Kazuna and Chizuna is probably the most complex I've encountered.

I've had to stop reading because I'm out of volumes. I've ordered volumes 6-7 from Play.com. Volume 6 is in-stock, so it shouldn't take too long for that to arrive, but the final volume is listed as out of stock. I'm just grateful I can order the last volumes at all for lower than the RRP since when I last looked the volumes weren't in-stock anywhere. Like Confidential Confessions, which went out of stock just after I'd ordered the full series from TBD, Lament of the Lamb is too serious for most and isn't popular as a result, and the lack of popularity has caused the series to be quite difficult to buy.

It's very underrated on MAL, with a rating of only around 7.5/10 after something like 1000 votes. It's too good to be rated under 8/10, even when you take into consideration how slow and uneventful it has been compared to most other stories. I HIGHLY recommend any manga fans interested in mature stories pick it up.

MPD Psycho volume 7. The story is still good quality but a little slow at the moment. We are starting to possibly find out what has happened and is happening. However personally I am starting to tire of it as a series and hope there are not too many more volumes and we get a good ending.

At the moment I am reading my Gunslinger Girl Manga's again.

Other manga series' that I am also reading consist of; Godchild, Vampire Knight, School Rumble, Death Note, and D.Gray-Man.

I read volumes 1-2 of Code Geass yesterday.

I'm not sure how to rate it, or what to even think about it. The author of the manga has removed the mecha element from the series, replacing those segments with far less intelligent battle sequences, which has resulted in Zero looking nowhere near as smart and the series being far less exciting. However, the art is lovely, looking just like the anime, and the non-mecha parts have been pretty good. For example, the cat chapter, where Lelouch had to chase a cat around campus because it stole his mak, risking revealing his identity to whoever found the cat wearing the mask, was as funny as it was in the anime. I'm going to have to read more before I can rate it - my rating really depends on how the last section of the story from the first season is executed in the manga.

The one thing I will say is that it doesn't seem like it's going to be anywhere near a faithful adaptation. Characters have been cut, including Cornelia, and Euphie has been introduced right at the start. I have no idea how the future plot twists are going to be handled without Cornelia in the picture and with Euphie in the picture earlier than she was in the anime. To be honest, I can't see it turning out anywhere near as epic as the anime...

Blood + vols 3 - 4. Now the story is moving beyond the released DVDs for the anime, I really want Sony to hurry up and release the rest.

I'm reading new (from my perspective, obviously) Maison Ikkoku chapters. In the past I lost interest around halfway through volume 4 of the old big, left to right Viz releases, having gotten annoyed with the lack of any progress whatsoever.

I'm still annoyed with there being little to no progress whatsoever, even though I've now read 6 volumes. In the case of Love Hina, a fairly similar, more perverted rom-com, it always seemed to be progressing ever so slightly because Keitaro, alongside Naru, ever so slowly improved at college as the years passed. But in the case of Maison Ikkoku, the college side hasn't been focused on and its just been a mostly random collection of one-shot stories.

And, although I have warmed to the outdated art the more I've read, I just cannot get myself to fall in love with Kyoko. I hate how she's such a hypocrite, always being a bitch to Godai out of jealousy when she's doing the same thing he's doing with Kozue with hunky Mitaka. I know it's supposed be a comedy that goes on forever but I just can't help thinking of her as a bit of bitch. It actually pleased me when Godai visualized himself getting into an argument with her, calling her a bitch and hitting her.

That's not to say I like Godai, though. As ever with rom-com leads, he's a spineless...erm, spineless person who can't make up his mind about anything. At least Keitaro was more likeable...

I'm in volume 12 of Ranma 1/2

I've noticed that I've neglected my manga reading a lot, so I've took a few books on the train with me. Managed to read about 3 volumes of Ranma on the train.

Hurtling through the last chunk of Monster after all this time; the final volume will be polished off tomorrow. It's not disappointed me so far as things start to wind up. Great stuff.

R

Started reading Ranma 1/2. I'm in Takahashi mode at the moment and own volumes 1-7 (eBay), so I didn't see any reason not to.

The first 8 chapters have not impressed. I liked Maison Ikkoku because the mature relationships, lack of fan service and the genuinely funny parts it had. Ranma has a bunch of immature charactrers, childish dialogue, fan service, no realism and hasn't made me laugh once. And it has a giant panda. It's clearly aimed at kids and not someone who looks for more than that in his manga/anime these days.

I don't think I'll like her other two major series, either. Inuyasha has shounen rubbish wrote all over it and Urusei Yatsura sounds like Tenchi. Out of her four attempts at lengthy series, only Maison Ikkoku seems to have the realism and maturity I crave.

I do like her short stories that appear in Rumiko Takahashi's Anthology, though. She creates stories worth far more than Ranma when she doesn't stray from reality and sticks to drawing adult characters. I feel her second story included in the series, the one about marriage, could've been turned into a decent long-running series if she'd tried.

I couldn't make it through two volumes of Ranma. It's a less funny retread of Urusei Yatsura, and that wasn't particularly funny itself (the anime, however, is a rare example of an adaptation that completely outshines its source materal).

You've reminded me that I still need to watch Takahasi Anthology.

fabricatedlunatic said:
You've reminded me that I still need to watch Takahasi Anthology.

Heh, I'm in the process of messaging you back on MAL and was going to recommend it to you. You very rarely listen to anything I have to say, but you really should check out the anime. It wasn't done on the cheap, the stories move at a fast pace, they're all unique and enjoyable slice-of-life stories (well, most are great, some are good) that have the Takahashi(sp?) non-retarded charm and there's even a blend of moving and comical episodes, some having a bit of both.

You like Maison Ikkoku, you disliked Ranma. This makes me think we're one and the same when it comes to Takahashi. You'll like the stories included in the series.

I want to pick up the manga collections of the short stories used. I can't because Viz released the volumes around 10 years ago. It isn't a huge lose when I get the feeling the anime was as faithful as possible, though.

I've now read 3 volumes of Ranma. It's still the same, it having no plot and the 'story' just being a collection fights against random people, such as an ice skating duo and amazon from China. Why Takahashi switched from slice-of-life to stupidity I'll never know - she was good at realistic stuff, where as, going on Ranma, she's rather sucky at over the top comedy.

Back