What manga are you reading now?

Fate/ Stay Night volume 1 so far it seems a straight up adaption, i'll stick with it since i've read on places that it goes into more of the Unlimited Blade Works Scenario then the anime which seemed to pick parts of all scenarios.

Since I last posted, I've read Goth (only one volume), volumes 4-5 of Tsukihime and 2 and a half volumes of Gunslinger Girl.

For a story that lasts only one volume, Goth was pretty good. I was expecting it to be darker and more gruesome, and it was a little hard to believe such a small area could have so many psychopaths in close proximity, but it was still depressing and weird enough to do it for me. It's rare to see sociopath characters, Light from Death Note being one of the few I've seen in manga/anime, and I really liked watching the lead in Goth do his thing, acting friendly and manipulating others as he played with murder in order to satisfy his fetish. The art was great - the female lead looking very sexy - and I didn't realize it was because the manga had the same artist as 'Welcome to the NHK' until after finishing.

I'm going to pick up the short novel the manga was based on soon. Reading text, with no pictures, is always a different experience, so I want to. And there are supposed to be stories that weren't included in the manga in the novel.

As for Tsukihime, it's still very, very slow paced and yet incredibly readable. Very little ever seems to happen in each chapter -- there's been very little story progression since the start. But, for some reason, I'm able to sit through things such as 3-4 consecutive chapters that only focus on Shinki and Arcueid dating; going to to the cinema, eating at a fast food joint, talking about the future and other stuff. It's all down to the likeable, if mostly unoriginal, h-game cast and the mysterious story that keeps me wanting more. The one thing all of the volume do excellently are the endings, which all end on some serious "Oh my god, what's going to happen!?" cliffhangers. It's too bad only 1 volume gets released per year, but I don't care right now since volume 6 is due out on the 27th of this month...I think.

Gunslinger Girl has also been enjoyable to read so far, and it's yet another manga I'm rating 8/10. I've just moved onto material I haven't seen animated already, so the real 'will I, won't I?' decider will come after I read the the next few volumes. But, so far, I like it nearly as much as I liked the first seasonof the anime, although something about the art bothers me, the lack of colour/music takes away from the experience and the additional scenes in the anime made certain parts of the story better, namely the Elsa chapters. My main complaint is about the fictional Italian setting, which, both in terms of the anime and manga, I don't understand very well...not that it really matters when the characters are the most important aspect of Gunslinger Girl.

Just completed Volume 4 of Berserk at loving it. I had watched the anime not so long ago but am finding the manga far superior so far (as usual). It explains more why certain characters are at their emotional status in the story. Added situations and gore filled artwork leads to be a very much entertaining read too.
Volume 4 is where the clock jumps backwards and tells you of Gatts upbringing. A very compelling story which will make you addicted to turning the pages. Everytime I start reading a volume it becomes very hard to put it down. Looking forward to the next volume.
Now where did I put my wallet? :p

Aion said:
As for Tsukihime, it's still very, very slow paced and yet incredibly readable. Very little ever seems to happen in each chapter -- there's been very little story progression since the start. But, for some reason, I'm able to sit through things such as 3-4 consecutive chapters that only focus on Shinki and Arcueid dating; going to to the cinema, eating at a fast food joint, talking about the future and other stuff. It's all down to the likeable, if mostly unoriginal, h-game cast and the mysterious story that keeps me wanting more. The one thing all of the volume do excellently are the endings, which all end on some serious "Oh my god, what's going to happen!?" cliffhangers. It's too bad only 1 volume gets released per year, but I don't care right now since volume 6 is due out on the 27th of this month...I think.

No your right its the 27th i got it on order at the moment. The only thing i wonder about it, is if its still getting made, although if its a chapter a month deal then that explains the really slow release time. Doubt we would see the sequel manga Melty Blood over here though..

Read Ito's Gyo today. The story wasn't as good as Uzumaki, neither was the pacing, I felt, but it offered some suitably distirbing images. Was severly let down by a massive anticlimax. Could have easily had another volume, or two, to offer a proper ending.

Highlight of the series by far was the second extra story in volume two. The Enigma of Amigura Fault. Proper quality short story.

8/10 for Gyo.
10/10 for The Enigma of Amigura Fault.

Just read the latest Naruto and Bleach chapters... we finally get to see Ulquiorra's Release form which I'm contempt with!

The Naruto chapter weren't bad, but once again, it ends with with a cliffhanger.

Sucks that One Piece manga is always the last to be updated between "the big three". Odds are, it won't be up until tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppli v2.

I've been really enjoying this after not being too sure about the first volume. It's very feminine and ethereal with lovely scratchy art and despite having almost nothing in common with the main character her spacey way of thinking is growing on me. Sadly after ordering volume three I remembered that it was one of the many series put on hold last year and it doesn't look as though the rest is coming out any time soon - ugh.

Still, looking forward to the next book and hopefully they'll sort out their internal issues soon and not just abandon it forever. We need more manga aimed at older ladies like me out there in English.

R

Read the first 2 volumes of Kagetora and Now! (manhwa) yesterday.

Kagetora has no originality or depth: A male ninja is sent to an upper class and highly respected martial arts family to train the daughter of the head of the family, who will one day be in charge. The girl is a clutz with no ability, the ninja is far too nice to be ninja (and too one-dimensional...) and the ninja falls for the girl he isn't allowed to love because of his job at first sight -- there's nothing interesting to get my teeth into. It's been enjoyable enough to read so far but I can't see it staying enjoyable for 11 volumes.

Now! has great (if a little hard to follow) action, great art and little else. It seems like Koreans focus 100% on action in their comics. Like Kagetora, it's enjoyable to read but lacking because of shallowness. If the action was backed up by an interesting story and well developed characters it'd be great, but it's just been 'fight fight fight' in the first couple of volumes. It started with action, not fully explaining what was going on, and it hasn't changed much as it has gone on.

I expexted both to be 7/10 series but hoped they'd be better than I expexted. So far, however, what I expected and what I've gotten have been the same.

Apparently I stopped buying Tsubasa at v.23 (must have been the last volume of the Tokyo Revelations OVAs) due to the batshit insanity. I really need to catch up on that to see if it improves any, along with a bunch of other series I'm behind on.

So I started re-reading xxxHOLIC, to continue my CLAMPathon.

/would have been far more willing than Watanuki is to work at Yuko's shop

Back