What manga are you reading now?

chaos said:
Aion said:
chaos said:
Ranma 1/2 - V6

:evil:
What? You don't like Ranma 1/2? I love Takahashi stuff.
Just wish she finished Inu yasha any time soon...

Inuyasha? The manga was finished June last year, unless you mean the volumes getting released here, that i don't know.

Erm, only been keeping up-to-date with the weekly jump series at the moment. Both Naruto and Bleach are worth reading at the moment, the last few chapters in each have been of a fairly high quality. Psyren also had an interesting twist at the end of the latest chapter.

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Volume 8.

After my worries about what I felt was a drop in the quality, or stagnation of volume 7 I was a little apprehensive about reading this volume, as up till that point it was probably my favourite manga. However there was nothing to worry about. The opening of this volume is great, it is a new year at the college and the clubs are having their sign up time. The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service guys have changed their official club name to try and get some new members. As usual there is a catch the the new members have to have talents that will help them make money. Time comes for the first meeting and some hilarity with the guys scaring off all the new recruits by freaking out the people that thought they were freaky.. After that it is back to the cases and not making money. It appears that we may have had some new regular characters introduced, but without further volumes it's not clear what if any part they will play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm up to volume 12 of Death Note (re-reading), volume 8 of Genshiken and I'm halfway through volume 3 of Archlord.

Death note is as excellent as ever. I'm noticing how lots of the dialogue seems to get repeated during the Mikami section of the story more than I did when I first read the manga but it's too well written not to love, no matter how long it goes on for before getting anywhere. I'll re-read the final volume later on today or the day after, and I'll move onto volume 13 after that.

Genshiken is still great to read - I read volume 6 & 7 together a few hours ago. I can see myself re-reading the series a few times in the future because of its readability. However, it's depressing me how the group are growing apart as they move onto getting jobs, some not even coming to the club anymore. It's also bothering me how Saki and Madarame have switched from main roles to supporting ones has the story as gone on, with the other less likeable characers taking over the main character roles. It had to happen in order for all of the Genshiken crew to get development, and their characters would've become dull had the story focused on them 24/7, but it lowers the quality of any story when the best characters aren't getting all the 'page time'.

Archlord is pretty much what I expected. It started very dark, telling a tale of a 'friend' betraying his leader for power in the first few chapters (it was a very good start), and then switched to being far more light-hearted story about the idiotic and cowardly son of the leader who was betrayed. As unoriginal and silly as this dark fantasy story has been up to yet, the art has been wonderful and made up for the story related flaws. I have found the artwork difficult to follow during action sequences, though - I'm often unsure if the white 'energy' shown when attacks are made are the direction the punches/kicks go in or if magic is being used.

Decided to read (Y)Aoi House - Omnibus (vol.1/2 together). So far it's entertaining, though I worry about the hormone control of a particular Morgan McKnight.

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. But, since then I've read:

The rest of BECK (up to volume 33/34, the last volume hasn't been translated yet! ARGH!).
First volume of Fruits Basket.
First volume of Basilisk.
First volume of xxxHolic.
First volume of Gantz.

Higurashi: When They Cry- Demoned Away chapter vol 1. This was actually pretty good, with relatively few changes from the anime edition (though the story is from the same person so its suposedly truer to the Visual Novel version) the character designs are part of those changes with Rena looking as "adworable" as ever (the manga's words not mine). The other changes are just the way things happen, with and the way that Satoko and Mion are introduced (there's a lot more breast jokes it seems :p) with Satoko's fondness for Traps being apparent from the get go. Since the magna covers all 8 Chapters (all the question arcs and the solution arcs from the games) its going to be fun to see if anything major had been changed.

Read through Volume 22 of Berserk last night, and the beginning of a new arc. It certainly got off to a big start thats for sure. The artwork has to be given a worthy mention too, as its certainly gotten far far more brilliant as the volumes have progressed.

I finished Death Note: Another Note.

It had a good twist at the end and was an enjoyable read but it had a few issues. The first was that the author seemingly didn't pay much attention to the manga. I say that because humans cannot work out how long another human has to live based on the numbers they see with shinigami's eyes -- only shinigami themselves can put the numbers together and work out how much life a person has left. The second flaw is a continuation of the first flaw. As well as wrongly explaininghow someone with shinigami's eyes can see when someone will die, the author suggested it's easier to kill people who are nearing death, using some sort of foreign logic to inform readers that B.B. could kill people without a struggle for that very reason. I fail to see how someone is easier to kill an hour before they're meant to die naturally as a result of murder or some freak accident?

Another issue I had was with B.B.'s character. One minute he was an insane bad guy, doing the whole evil laughter thing and dancing in the blood of sheep, and the next he was a clone of another, totally different character. And putting aside my annoyance over his copy and paste and standard issue insane baddie personalities, I can't quite work out how managed to become a clone of someone who, as far as I'm aware, he never met. If he had met him then he would've known the real name of the person he was copying.

I did, however, enjoy reading the story quite a bit. If I allowed myself to forget what I know about the real Death Note and view it as fan fiction, which is what it is when it comes down to it, I was able to derive a fair amount of enjoyment out of reading the novel. The entire book is basically fan service for Death Note fans, so if you go into it not expecting 10/10 entertainment then the experience will be much more enjoyable. Its story puts two characters who were wasted in the proper Death Note (Mello and Naomi), puts the most loved character into the mix (L) and attempts to develop the characters (mainly Naomi) where possible.

I'm going to re-read it again at some point because of the twist at the end. Although I should've picked up the hints given by the word "misdirection" popping up a lot before the end, I wasn't expecting the author to pull the twist he did out of the bag.

Just finished reading through volume 1 of Monster and i have to say first off i didn't expect it take as long as it did to read through. It was certainly a brilliant read thats for sure. I'm still processing it all at the moment so i won't really be able to give my proper views on it until its all sorted out in me head.

Back