What Games Are You Playing?

I hate how on Competitive people still don't do the objective.
This is pretty much what stopped me playing Overwatch for the longest time, and even now I only play Comp with a pre-made group of friends, otherwise I stick to Arcade. The toxic side doesn't bother me (I played DotA2 for far too long so I'm immune to toxic people online at this point), but I have friends who are really put off by it.

Anyway I played the Monster Hunter World beta again, I am looking forward to this game so damn much, gunlance fo life!

Yakuza Series
Finished Yakuza 0 2 weeks ago and ordered Kiwami. I liked Yakuza 0 a lot more (especially the OST) but Kiwami is still great. Now I have until March, when Yakuza 6 comes out to catch up.

Yakuza Series
Finished Yakuza 0 2 weeks ago and ordered Kiwami. I liked Yakuza 0 a lot more (especially the OST) but Kiwami is still great. Now I have until March, when Yakuza 6 comes out to catch up.
Funnily enough I've almost completed Kiwami myself and I agree that 0 is a better game, one of my favourites in fact.

Finished Yakuza Kiwami which is overall a solid entry in the series, the story was simple but decently told, and the side quests, aside from the ones with a lot of grinding (Looking at you MesuKing) were also fun. The game world itself was very small, meaning that I'd be running all over the same area for my entire play though. Thankfully I never bored of it and the taxi service was handy.

I put just under 40 hours into the game, with less than 10 being the actual story-substories really make a bulk of what you get up to, and are necessary to level you up and make Kiryu a walking nightmare.

Overall this was a very good title, nowhere near as good as Zero, but still a worthy successor/original way to start.

Finished Yakuza Kiwami which is overall a solid entry in the series, the story was simple but decently told, and the side quests, aside from the ones with a lot of grinding (Looking at you MesuKing) were also fun. The game world itself was very small, meaning that I'd be running all over the same area for my entire play though. Thankfully I never bored of it and the taxi service was handy.

I put just under 40 hours into the game, with less than 10 being the actual story-substories really make a bulk of what you get up to, and are necessary to level you up and make Kiryu a walking nightmare.

Overall this was a very good title, nowhere near as good as Zero, but still a worthy successor/original way to start.
I did the Pocket Circuit stuff yesterday, which was more fun than I assumed. I skipped over that part in Zero. My skills (aside from Dragon) are all maxed thanks to majima Everywhere, while Dragon itself is not even half-finished. I might do that part after the story for another playthrough.
My biggest gripe with the game are some of the bosses, like the one with Majima in the batting center, where there are 10 dudes trying to stunlock you while Majima himself stabs you once and you collapse.On the other hand the fight against the Chinese guy was my favourite by far.
I'm probably gonna finish on Friday/Saturday and then start something entirely different or Yakuza 4.

I did the Pocket Circuit stuff yesterday, which was more fun than I assumed. I skipped over that part in Zero. My skills (aside from Dragon) are all maxed thanks to majima Everywhere, while Dragon itself is not even half-finished. I might do that part after the story for another playthrough.
My biggest gripe with the game are some of the bosses, like the one with Majima in the batting center, where there are 10 dudes trying to stunlock you while Majima himself stabs you once and you collapse.On the other hand the fight against the Chinese guy was my favourite by far.
I'm probably gonna finish on Friday/Saturday and then start something entirely different or Yakuza 4.
Yeah I agree some of the bosses are ass. I'm starting Yakuza 4 as well, then I'll likely move onto 5.

Here are the new titles I've completed & started recently:

CPBC1.jpg

Completed Game #06:
Corpse Party: BloodCovered Repeated Fear
[PlayStation Portable (via PlayStation Vita)]
With Corpse Party: Blood Drive acquired a few days ago I now decided to delve into the world of Corpse Party through the first instalment remade for the PSP. I bought this game and also Book of Shadows during a PSN sale back in August 2016 so it was only until now that I decided to start it.

Just to give some context in terms of the background behind this franchise. Corpse Party was released for the NEC PC-9801 in Japan back in 1996 developed by using the RPG Maker. The RPG Maker was also used for other popular Japanese indie horror titles like Ao Oni and Yume Nikki. Fast-forward to 2008 and the game was remade under the name Corpse Party: BloodCovered for Windows which saw an official English release by XSEED only just recently back in 2016. The game was then remade again with a new artstyle for PlayStation Portable followed by iOS and Nintendo 3DS under the name Corpse Party: BloodCovered Repeated Fear in 2010. It's the PSP version that is what many were exposed to when it comes to this franchise. Repeated Fear was then given two sequels with Book of Shadows and Blood Drive.

So in case you haven't noticed by the cover art, this is a horror game. The goal for this game is to navigate around this haunted school and look for clues on how to survive while also trying to avoid ghosts or other supernatural elements that would give you the 'Wrong End'. The story is split into five chapters so you won't have to worry too much about mistakes since you can redo the chapter (and even reload your save if needed be) to find the right route for the Good Ending. There are collectibles in this game that involve ID tags of the victims you encounter along the way, however one tag is unavailable due to a glitch in the localisation.

The story is told in a visual novel-esque style similar to Danganronpa and while most choices won't matter, the ones in Chapter 5 do so be aware of that. The story overall is much shorter than what the Howlongtobeat notes stated. I would say it took me around 6 hours total at least to finish the game.

Overall this is a pretty good horror game and is worth checking out just to see what the fuss is about. There is an anime adaptation called Corpse Party: Tortured Souls but I honestly suggest sticking with the game due to the anime delving into a different direction for the second half of its story however I do think it's worth watching once you have played the game because it's got its own School Days style twist to it.

My backlog so far:
Nintendo 3DS:
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Tales of the Abyss

PlayStation 3:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Catherine
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Far Cry 3
Mafia II
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Soul Calibur V
Tales of Xillia 2

PlayStation 4:
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
Persona 5
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash!
Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Ys Origin

PlayStation Portable:
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

PlayStation Vita:
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Soul Sacrifice
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

Steam:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Completed Games Collection of 2018:
  • #01 | Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
  • #02 | Saints Row 2 (PS3)
  • #03 | Sengoku Basara HD (PS3)
  • #04 | Sengoku Basara 2 HD (PS3)
  • #05 | Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4)
  • #06 | Corpse Party: BloodCovered Repeated Fear (Vita)

Black - PlayStation 3 / Blue - PlayStation 4 / Red - PlayStation Vita

Platinum Trophy Collection:
#01 | 2014 | PS3 - Saints Row: The Third (+ All DLC)
#02 | 2015 | PS3 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
#03 | 2015 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia
#04 | 2015 | Vita - Dekamori Senran Kagura
#05 | 2015 | PS3 - Steins;Gate
#06 | 2015 | PS3 - NieR
#07 | 2015 | PS3 - No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
#08 | 2015 | PS3 - Asura's Wrath (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#09 | 2015 | PS3 - Saints Row IV (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#10 | 2015 | PS3 - The Darkness II
#11 | 2016 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
#12 | 2016 | PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD
#13 | 2016 | Vita - Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
#14 | 2016 | Vita - Gravity Rush (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#15 | 2016 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
#16 | 2016 | PS4 - Resogun
#17 | 2016 | Vita - Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
#18 | 2016 | PS4 - Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game
#19 | 2017 | Vita - Miracle Girls Festival
#20 | 2017 | PS4 - Senran Kagura Estival Versus
#21 | 2017 | PS4 - The Wolf Among Us
#22 | 2017 | PS4 - Final Fantasy XV (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#23 | 2017 | PS4 - Amplitude
#24 | 2017 | PS4 - Root Letter
#25 | 2017 | Vita - IA/VT -Colorful-
#26 | 2017 | Vita - Persona 4: Dancing All Night
#27 | 2017 | PS4 - Gravity Rush Remastered
#28 | 2017 | PS4 - NieR: Automata
#29 | 2017 | PS4 - The Silver Case HD
#30 | 2017 | PS4 - Steins;Gate 0
#31 | 2017 | PS3 - Under Defeat HD
#32 | 2017 | PS4 - Tales from the Borderlands
#33 | 2017 | PS3 - Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection
#34 | 2017 | PS4 - Life is Strange
#35 | 2017 | PS4 - Sword Art Online: Lost Song
#36 | 2017 | PS4 - Crash Bandicoot HD
#37 | 2017 | PS4 - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back HD
#38 | 2017 | PS4 - Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped HD
#39 | 2017 | PS4 - Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Corpse Party is honestly quite annoying to play because often you are going back and forth while desperately trying to trigger the next event but it's worth playing with guide because the story is pretty good. Book Of Shadows otherhand is just dull and the series get's even worse from there. Personally i thought the vita game was utter shite.

gog.com just released Way of the Samurai 3 (PC).... having never played one before and always having meant to I decided to pick it up and give it a bash.

Dropped into the world with no clue how to play nor the controls, I wandered to a castle and applied for employment. After a clumsy fight with some other hopefuls I found myself being insulted by the daimyo and so I promptly attacked him and was killed.... first playthrough ended in under 5 minutes.

On the second playthrough I was taken in by some civilians and woke up at their farmstead where I discovered a Hoe in a barn. At that moment I decided I would become the greatest samurai in the land, wandering like Musashi Miyamoto but choosing to use only that Hoe which I had picked up.

Tirelessly I wandered the local village and town, never stopping to rest & fighting every armed individual I came across. After 11 victories with my hoe I stumbled upon the castle from before and assaulted it with my trusty hoe of destiny. After nobly fighting against a ninja, assorted guards & named characters, I found myself locked out of the Daimyo's room with no means of entry and so wandered back to the entrance to save.

I look forward to continuing this journey and feel it would make a great anime which I shall call: Ninpo Ronin Hoe

Playing Monster Hunter World and it's pretty much consuming me, I won't even mention how many hours played I have right now as it's pretty embarrassing/depressing to be quite honest :p the game is so good though (and very addictive), so nice to be playing Monster Hunter on the big screen and without the restrictions caused by being on handhelds (like I know it has it's pluses on handheld for people, but I don't care about portability so meh). Glad to see it's sold well enough too, hopefully Monster Hunter is now gonna be mainstay on the home consoles as I can't imagine going back now...

I've fallen pretty deep into the Yu-Gi-Oh hole again. After starting to watch the original anime again, I picked up Yu-Gi-Oh Nightmare Troubadour for DS and I'm losing hours a day to it. I just love playing it. Constantly maintaining, enhancing and improving your deck is a ton of fun, and the sheer amount of cards makes the possibilities endless, and, once you get past early game, there are a whole host of different opponents to face, with varying levels of difficulty, as well as a leveling system that unlocks new card packs, and I imagine, eventually lets you compete in tournaments. I had the game as a kid, but now I'm a lot more competent at deck building, I feel I'm getting a lot more out of it.

Oh, I also started playing the VC release of Pokemon Crystal on 3DS, which has aged surprisingly well. Turns out Pokemon games haven't changed *that* much in the past 20 years or so.

I've also been playing monster hunter this week. When I first put it on I didn't like it that much, but as it was my first time playing a Monster Hunter game, I thought I make sure I give it a good go before trading it in, and now I've spent alot of time playing this week, and I haven't got bored of it yet.

Finally, after 10 months of playing, beat Breath of the Wild. Makes 4 games in January, fell a bit behind, but eh. 120 shrines, 189 seeds, tonnes of the encyclopedia filled out, etc etc.

37.4% Complete

AHHHHH - i wanted to hit at least 40% but i guess it wasn't gonna happen. Well at least i was proud of how i did. And the ending was superb. Boss fight was great as well.

Now from there, i'm working my way through Okami HD and making a good amount of progress. At 34/100 beads, and i've not missed any at all yet. Everyone one that i can get, i have. All my weapons are powered up, have every move i can get at the moment and still 100k yen to work with going into the Capital City. So yeah, should be good from here.

It came out on Switch recently, so I've been playing Axiom Verge. I've been really wanting to play it for a long while, but after it was announced to be coming to the Switch (and with a fancy physical edition as well), I decided to wait. I'm a fan of metroidvanias, and this is definitely a good one of those. The pixel art is good and definitely evokes Metroid and other games of that era, and it's really cool when the game busts out some visual effects that simply wouldn't be possible back on those days though, such as the huge explosions when you beat a boss and such. The music is dope and the game overall is super atmospheric, which is right up my street.

However, I'm nearing the end of the game and just fairly recently got the last teleport upgrade and honestly... it makes me want to stop playing. The first upgrade lets you phase through one-block thick walls by double-tapping the direction up against them, and this is fine. It's a sluggish ability meant for getting around a few barriers. But the second and third upgrades effectively turn it into an eight-way dash that just happens to also let you go through walls. The big issue is that they keep it mapped to double-tapping a direction. Double tapping the stick or d-pad, which you're obviously also using for your main movement, quite simply, feels completely awful. So many times I get accidental dashes when I don't want them, and don't get any when I do want them in hectic combat situations. There's no reason it couldn't be mapped to a button press (like every other smart action game with a dash mechanic) since one of the abilities that uses a dedicated button press could very easily just be relegated to the weapon wheel. This is the big movement upgrade that lets you now go pretty much wherever you want in the game, and instead it makes the movement feel ten times worse and I no longer feel like going back to the game. A shame, because the entire rest of the game is nothing short of fantastic.

Finished Yakuza 4. Whilst not a terrible game I didn't care for the fighting styles of two out of the four MCs, and the side quests felt bland as well. The story however was cool as to how they integrated all the characters and their overarching storylines.

Now I'm playing Yakuza 5 before Yakuza 6 comes out.

Well, I went and did a rare thing (for me) recently. I decided I'd play through all of Horizon Zero Dawn again - this time, complete with the DLC.

This started off as me thinking 'I need to do something I know I'll enjoy and unwind with at thr end of the evening.' And I was sort of thinking I would end up going through it by rote until I got to the new stuff. Except... that's not what happened. Even though I'd taken the whole story in before, it drew me in all over again. And I found myself actually laughing and smiling like a loon as I took down robot animals with a bow and arrow.

When I eventually got to the Frozen Wilds DLC, I had one of the most amazing surprises my PS4 has ever given me. The content and storyline that plays out in the DLC is every bit the labour of love the base game is, and even dictates to a few (albeit very minor) additional bits of content later on. A few scant lines of dialogue are added here and there to acknowledge that the DLC happened, making the whole experience feel very much organic.

Anyhoo - I finished this playthrough tonight, and it honestly had the same kind of impact as it did first time around. The ending still made my bottom lip go all wobbly, and I had EVERY bit as much fun as I had last time, whether I was fighting / fleeing from Thunderjaws and Stormbirds or just exploring the world and finding all the little details of the world.

I'll say this now, and I'll fight ANYONE who disagrees with me: People who don't like this game are fools. If you have a PS4 and don't have this game, BUY IT. I'm personally hoping it'll be available in some form or other for many years to come. Heck - if I could buy a console to plug into my TV that only ever played this game, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I started Horizon again myself, but on New Game + and on the hardest difficulty level (for the trophies). The first part of the base game was pretty easy because I'm max level, have all the kit and know the enemies, but the DLC robots handed me my ass so I've hit a bit of a road block.
I will finish it, especially as RDR2 has been delayed again, but I need to be really up for it.

Here are the new titles I've completed & started recently:

PWN0FMHl.png

Completed Game #07:
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
[PlayStation Portable (via PlayStation Vita)]
So after finishing BloodCovered Repeated Fear I decided to dive straight into the Book of Shadows. Interestingly this is a different type of game compared to the first one, as this time it's essentially a visual novel with some point/click move-around elements (like Danganronpa). Like the first game this one is split into chapters but in terms of story this is more of a side-story anthology rather than a full-fledged sequel.

I can't really explain the story without diving into spoilers so here goes...
Book of Shadows is set after the events of BloodCovered Repeated Fear in two routes:
  • True End route where Satoshi, Naomi, Yuka, Ayumi, and Yoshiki manage to escape Heavenly Host but the existence of everyone else who died at that cursed school has been erased. This route serves as the game's prologue and the secret 8th chapter Blood Drive.
  • Wrong End No. 8 route where they managed to escape but because they missed some crucial details in the escape ritual everyone is warped back to the day leading into the events of the first game ~ however Satoshi is the only one who remembers what happened. This covers the 1st, 2nd & 5th chapters.
  • There are also other events going on that help fill the gaps in the franchise, like how certain background characters ended up in the cursed school etc. It's a nice bonus and helps fill the void for some things that were left unexplained.
Overall Book of Shadows is a hit or miss title. While I liked the idea of the story taking place after a certain route it doesn't keep it going all the way so it's mainly just fanservice. Some of the chapters felt like filler despite being canon for various parts, though the Blood Drive chapter makes up for it as it sets up the events of Corpse Party: Blood Drive.

I would suggest watching the cutscenes online rather than playing the game to be honest if you want to get to the point. If you have only watched the Tortured Souls anime you can read the Blood Drive chapter without getting confused that much since the main leads are still intact. If you are really interested in checking out this game, especially with the Wrong Ends that are included then I suggest waiting for a sale like I did.

My backlog so far:
Nintendo 3DS:
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson
Tales of the Abyss

PlayStation 3:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Catherine
Dragon's Crown
Drakengard 3
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Far Cry 3
Mafia II
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Soul Calibur V
Tales of Xillia 2

PlayStation 4:
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round
Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
Persona 5
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash!
Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Ys Origin

PlayStation Vita:
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Demon Gaze
Freedom Wars
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Soul Sacrifice
Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

Steam:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Completed Games Collection of 2018:
  • #01 | Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
  • #02 | Saints Row 2 (PS3)
  • #03 | Sengoku Basara HD (PS3)
  • #04 | Sengoku Basara 2 HD (PS3)
  • #05 | Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4)
  • #06 | Corpse Party: BloodCovered Repeated Fear (Vita)
  • #07 | Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (Vita)

Black - PlayStation 3 / Blue - PlayStation 4 / Red - PlayStation Vita

Platinum Trophy Collection:
#01 | 2014 | PS3 - Saints Row: The Third (+ All DLC)
#02 | 2015 | PS3 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
#03 | 2015 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia
#04 | 2015 | Vita - Dekamori Senran Kagura
#05 | 2015 | PS3 - Steins;Gate
#06 | 2015 | PS3 - NieR
#07 | 2015 | PS3 - No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
#08 | 2015 | PS3 - Asura's Wrath (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#09 | 2015 | PS3 - Saints Row IV (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#10 | 2015 | PS3 - The Darkness II
#11 | 2016 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
#12 | 2016 | PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD
#13 | 2016 | Vita - Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
#14 | 2016 | Vita - Gravity Rush (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#15 | 2016 | PS3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
#16 | 2016 | PS4 - Resogun
#17 | 2016 | Vita - Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
#18 | 2016 | PS4 - Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game
#19 | 2017 | Vita - Miracle Girls Festival
#20 | 2017 | PS4 - Senran Kagura Estival Versus
#21 | 2017 | PS4 - The Wolf Among Us
#22 | 2017 | PS4 - Final Fantasy XV (DLC Trophies not acquired)
#23 | 2017 | PS4 - Amplitude
#24 | 2017 | PS4 - Root Letter
#25 | 2017 | Vita - IA/VT -Colorful-
#26 | 2017 | Vita - Persona 4: Dancing All Night
#27 | 2017 | PS4 - Gravity Rush Remastered
#28 | 2017 | PS4 - NieR: Automata
#29 | 2017 | PS4 - The Silver Case HD
#30 | 2017 | PS4 - Steins;Gate 0
#31 | 2017 | PS3 - Under Defeat HD
#32 | 2017 | PS4 - Tales from the Borderlands
#33 | 2017 | PS3 - Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection
#34 | 2017 | PS4 - Life is Strange