What Games Are You Playing?

vashdaman said:
Yeah, especially at a time where male game characters seem to be more dull and cliché than ever, or at the least more samey with most games trying to either replicate Nathan Drake or some space marine type, York really does stand out and is one of the very few genuinely interesting leads. He really does make the game. Though I'm not quite sure how they got away with using Naomi Watts face lol.

I never had a crush on Naomi Watts until I met Emily.

I've been playing a mix of games recently. I've made a start on The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles finally, and enjoy both. But I've decided to leave them for the time being and work on Muramasa. For some reason, i'm really enjoying Muramasa. I didn't expect it to be as big as it is either. It's fairly simple in it's execution, but the game is fun, and looks gorgeous to boot.

Also, i've been playing a ton of The Binding of Isaac since i picked up the expansion. It's still so much fun. I still need to golden god it, then i'll need to work on getting the platinum god achievement later. May take a while, but it's worth it.

Also, still working on my Super Robot Wars titles, Z, K and L, and made a start on Saints Row The Third earlier as well.

Arbalest said:
I've been playing a mix of games recently. I've made a start on The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles finally, and enjoy both. But I've decided to leave them for the time being and work on Muramasa. For some reason, i'm really enjoying Muramasa. I didn't expect it to be as big as it is either. It's fairly simple in it's execution, but the game is fun, and looks gorgeous to boot.

Woooo! Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story! As my avatar shows, I'm just a little bit obsessed with Xenoblade ;) I also won tickets to that BAFTA Q+A for The Last Story with Hironobu Sakaguchi a while back and got his autograph which was awesome! Muramasa is one I put on the back burner ages ago, and then my copy got nicked last year so that put a halt to any progress there.

Continuing on from Theme Hospital, I started playing some Transport Tycoon as well, through the magic of OpenTTD. It's ridiculously addictive, although I doubt I'll ever be able to replicate the epic networks that my 14 year old self could create.

Arbalest said:
Also, i've been playing a ton of The Binding of Isaac since i picked up the expansion. It's still so much fun. I still need to golden god it, then i'll need to work on getting the platinum god achievement later. May take a while, but it's worth it.

Also, still working on my Super Robot Wars titles, Z, K and L, and made a start on Saints Row The Third earlier as well.

I golden god'd the game twice, thanks to my pc exploding, but I am utterly in love with the expansion. It's fantastic and adds so many new and clever things whilst bringing back that feeling of "Oh god I don't know what this does!" I'm unsure if it's been patched yet but you might find golden goding is a bit tricky if you haven't done The Depths no damage yet. There was a glitch where you'd get hurt by Mom everytime you beat her. Not played for a few days so I don't know if one of the few patches lately has fixed that or not.

Which has been your favourite SRW so far? Whilst I like the OG series I think my personal fave still stands at W, because of how prominent and overpowered the GaoGaiGar units are. I was thinking of going with L for Gurren Lagann and Geass but I wasn't sure...

vashdaman said:
You can't sneak past those blasted ones that crawl of the side on the walls, urrgh they were a pain. I did miss both of those things of course lol. I would add that it's a least worth driving about to hear the great conversations York and Zack have, but after you've heard them the fast travel would be very convenient.
The infinite wrench made short work of the wall crawlers, which is why I'm glad I picked it up. Goddamn bullet sponge enemies grumble grumble...

Despite having the radio for fast travel, I mostly drove everywhere for the conversations and because I really loved the experience of being York and being in Greenvale. It's not often I feel so invested in a protagonist, mostly through Zach I suppose, and so deeply drawn into a game world.

---------

Atelier Meruru is out, so I decided it was time to play Totori. Yay for being 8 months behind!

First thing to mention is that this game bombards you with cuteness of apocalyptic proportions. Totori is approximately a bajillion times cuter than Rorona was in her game, and Rorona was pretty damn cute. Then there's Mimi Houllier von Schwarzlang. Oh, goodness, Mimi Houllier von Schwarzlang!

Ahem. But there's more to the game than cuteness. Whereas Atelier Rorona gave the player fairy strict goals to accomplish in rigid 3-month blocks, Totori has a much looser structure that rewards exploration, combat, and alchemy - and the game gives you plenty of time to do all of them. Pretty much everything, including walking around the world map and fleeing from battles, gives you points towards Totori's adventurer licence - points she needs in order to avoid the bad ending. There's a real sense of purpose and accomplishment behind all your actions in Totori, something I felt was lacking in Rorona.

Also, did I mention it was reeeeally kawaii desu?

Z2DDml.jpg

I WAS playing some pokemon white till I realised my 3DS has got that problem where the raised touch screen starts marking up/scratching the top screen........annoying isn't the word.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Ahem. But there's more to the game than cuteness. Whereas Atelier Rorona gave the player fairy strict goals to accomplish in rigid 3-month blocks, Totori has a much looser structure that rewards exploration, combat, and alchemy - and the game gives you plenty of time to do all of them. Pretty much everything, including walking around the world map and fleeing from battles, gives you points towards Totori's adventurer licence - points she needs in order to avoid the bad ending. There's a real sense of purpose and accomplishment behind all your actions in Totori, something I felt was lacking in Rorona.

That's sold it to me. Thank you, Fabby.

MercenaryRaiden said:
Which has been your favourite SRW so far? Whilst I like the OG series I think my personal fave still stands at W, because of how prominent and overpowered the GaoGaiGar units are. I was thinking of going with L for Gurren Lagann and Geass but I wasn't sure...

I'm still sticking with W as my favourite. I love it. The Arbalest is stupidly OP in it, same with GGG. If i was to compare, i'd say that W has the better line-up and better execution when put next to K and L. It's also the longest(55 stages isn't it?). K and L are good games, but they lack something W didn't. Maybe it's because they where testing new waters with the partner system, but it feels a bit off. could just be the lack of series.

L doesn't have Gurren Lagann or Geass i should note. I thought the same as you, but it doesn't. They appear in Z-2 Hakai and saisei(both PSP titles). L has Linebarrels, Gaiking(so awesome), seed destiny, Iczer-1 & 3, Godannar, Rebuild of Eva, Jeeg, wing, macross F, and i forget if there was any others. L does the Partner system well though, it almost perfects it. I just wish it had more of a series cast.

Arbalest said:
MercenaryRaiden said:

I'm still sticking with W as my favourite. I love it. The Arbalest is stupidly OP in it, same with GGG. If i was to compare, i'd say that W has the better line-up and better execution when put next to K and L. It's also the longest(55 stages isn't it?). K and L are good games, but they lack something W didn't. Maybe it's because they where testing new waters with the partner system, but it feels a bit off. could just be the lack of series.

L doesn't have Gurren Lagann or Geass i should note. I thought the same as you, but it doesn't. They appear in Z-2 Hakai and saisei(both PSP titles). L has Linebarrels, Gaiking(so awesome), seed destiny, Iczer-1 & 3, Godannar, Rebuild of Eva, Jeeg, wing, macross F, and i forget if there was any others. L does the Partner system well though, it almost perfects it. I just wish it had more of a series cast.

Ha yes, I love how diverse some of W's cast is and I was really glad to see the FMP series get good treatment. It was amusing to see a fumoffu suit as well! Speaking of, I think W did a good job in making you feel like a proper overpowered mecha without that being reality. The Seed units are springing to mind as others who were kind of godly and massively overpowered.

That's a shame they aren't in L, although looking at the import fees I was kind of hoping it would have dipped down from £45 by now, but alas. That's still a rather nice list though and Godannar, Eva and Macross F does still tempt me...It'll be nice to see what they do with the 3DS/Vita anywho.

Max Takeshi said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Stuff about the game
That's sold it to me. Thank you, Fabby.
So it wasn't my conveyance of Totori's avalanche of cute that did it? Oh well, I'm glad either way. Enjoy!

ilmaestro said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Oh, goodness, Mimi Houllier von Schwarzlang!
Google images tells me you are correct. If she's even better in the game...
Now that's more like it. I knew you'd appreciate the game's more, uh, "aesthetic" qualities.

I'm looking forward to Meruru, 'cos Mimi's allll grown up (just hoping she hasn't lost the tsuntsun) ^_^

fabricatedlunatic said:

Might have to take the punt and order Totori (and possibly Meruru), I've got Rorona and the strict goals were too restrictive on gameplay for my liking - glad to hear that Totori has eased off on the time limits for doing stuff.

Started replaying Dead Space after watching Prometheus. Dead Space probably is the best Alien game ever made despite not being an Alien game. Spend all my round 2 points in an upgrade spree and got the level 6 suit =3

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Started replaying Dead Space after watching Prometheus. Dead Space probably is the best Alien game ever made despite not being an Alien game. Spend all my round 2 points in an upgrade spree and got the level 6 suit =3

Best non-Alien Alien game ever made is Super Metroid. Truly chilling.

I'm playing Trauma Centre: Under the Knife.

Genkina Hito said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

I dunno, Samus is a bonafide badass bounty hunter, rather than just some schlub who got thrown into a big ol' mess. I feel like that should discount it somewhat from competing.

fabricatedlunatic said:
So it wasn't my conveyance of Totori's avalanche of cute that did it? Oh well, I'm glad either way. Enjoy!

It might have helped
Eyes-1.gif

Just started it myself and got a bit confused when it was getting to halfway through May and nothing was happening, thought I had a glitched version, and then...

It all happened. Thankfully.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Genkina Hito said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

I dunno, Samus is a bonafide badass bounty hunter, rather than just some schlub who got thrown into a big ol' mess. I feel like that should discount it somewhat from competing.

From almost two years ago

http://genkinahito.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... f-a-movie/

Max Takeshi said:
Just started it myself and got a bit confused when it was getting to halfway through May and nothing was happening, thought I had a glitched version, and then...

It all happened. Thankfully.
Yeah, it's a bit of a slow starter.

I encountered an unforeseen problem after the licence renewal. Unlike Rorona, there's a boss battle that you have to win in order to avoid a bad ending. Now, I found myself completely under-prepared for this, not expecting that kind of obstacle, and with not much time to do anything about it. Apparently the game is designed to be played multiple times; there's a new game plus mode that allows you to carry your weapons and cash over into subsequent playthroughs.

If you plan to play the game only once (like I had), I'd check the walkthroughs at GameFAQs to make sure you don't find yourself in my position. They can help with crafting high quality equipment, items, and bombs.

Meanwhile, my copy of Meruru turned up, so I'm going to play that before going back to Totori.

I have been playing Syberia, or RUN KATE RUN as I believe it was originally titled. For those in the know, I've just arrived in the game's version of the Soviet Union.

It's another one of these things which I feel I want to like more than I actually do. The backgrounds are beautiful but so empty; fully half of them are devoid of anything to interact with. The challenges seem to be all or nothing - It's either immediately obvious what you're supposed to do or so unclear that you spend twenty minutes running through empty areas to reach each of the sparsely placed characters to methodically work through the conversation options until you get the information you need.

In its defence, Syberia has so far presented me with an intriguing story in an original and well developed world (I don't think I've ever clicked the first item on the first screen of an adventure game to read three pages of text before). However, enjoyment levels are not at maximum for the simple reason that I wish it were making me use my brain as much as it's making me use my left mouse button.

Back